Strong grip but still have open clubface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong grip but still have open clubface

I have a 4 knuckle strong grip and my downswing shallows out nicely on plane and I attack from slightly inside. However, my club face is still square to my inside out swing path so I hit push shots to the right and cannot get it to draw back to the target.(My ball position is in the middle of my stance for irons) If I already have a super strong grip, how can my club face still be open at impact? Please help!!!
    Last edited by Charger13; 10-07-2020, 06:10 PM.

Hi Charger,
    Welcome.

Your clubface is NOT "open"?

The terms "open" and "closed" refer to the club-face relationship to the SWING-line (what I call the "line-of-motion"); NOT the TARGET-line?

What you've described is a nice, SQUARE relationship of club-face to swing-line, resulting in a shot that starts right of target and travels in a STRAIGHT line (no curvature).

You can try two things while maintaining your current "grip":

One - If you move the ball a bit more FORWARD in your stance, you'll catch the ball a bit LATER in the swing-arc as the club-head begins to swing more to the Left...
    This should result in a continued "straight" flight, but closer to your target-line...

Two - try "closing" the face a bit at ADDRESS in addition to your 4-knuckle-strong grip. Despite the "number of knuckles" visible, the "straight" ball-flight suggests that the club-face is STILL not closed enough (at Impact) to cause the ball to spin in a counter-clockwise direction and create the "draw" action back towards your target.

Hope this makes some sense and may help?

dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Working...
    X