How shoulder alignment affects shot direction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How shoulder alignment affects shot direction

For some time I have fought with early practice and early round hooks. It has been pointed out to me that I should close my shoulder alignment at address while maintaining hip and foot alignment. It seems to work and as I loosen up my shots straighten out enough to go back to normal alignment. Any thoughts or drills?

Papa, I'm thinking that your early tendency may be to get your body rotating before your arms fall down the plane . This gets you disconnected, forcing your back shoulder out to catch your arms up. If the closed shoulder drill works consistently for you while warming up and early in the round, stay with it. I do, however, believe there may be a better way or ways to overcome that early tendency. Incorporating the one leg drill in your pre-shot routine comes to mind.

Comment

I have noticed other Youtube coaches using the one legged drill before each shot. I used it for a while a couple of seasons back, with some success, but have let it slip by the wayside. Thanks for reminding me. While the tendency seems to go away during play it definitely adds strokes early on, and that forces me to take unnecessary chances scrambling to catch up. Maybe this will help my game so I don't have to keep telling myself, " you're not that good so you've got no reason to complain"

Comment

Hmmm; don't want you to manipulate any body parts prior to delivering your shot to target;
        are you getting ready to place body parts at address or should you be getting ready to use the weight of the ACU to deliver a free flowing and low strain release in the direction you want to start the ball? Fade set up you should not pre-turn anyways and draw, since you play the ball back of centre, you should get the whole body behind the hit which means only feet are square or parallel left of target.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Clement View Post
          Hmmm; don't want you to manipulate any body parts prior to delivering your shot to target;
          are you getting ready to place body parts at address or should you be getting ready to use the weight of the ACU to deliver a free flowing and low strain release in the direction you want to start the ball? Fade set up you should not pre-turn anyways and draw, since you play the ball back of centre, you should get the whole body behind the hit which means only feet are square or parallel left of target.
          Whoa! Just found this. Ball back of center for a draw? This may be the reason for my pull hooks. I naturally draw/hook the ball with my bad shots being a pull hook. When I'm "on" I have a nice soft draw. (thank you Shawn!) but when I'm off, which I think means I'm quick with my upper body not waiting for gravity to bring the ACU in front of me with gravity, I can pull hook the snot out of it. haha. But....maybe my setup and ball position is off too. As soon as rain stops going to go try this.

Comment

Working...
          X