Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where you're looking is more important than where you're aiming.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where you're looking is more important than where you're aiming.

You'll always end up swinging towards where you're looking rather than towards where you're aiming.

So make sure you're aiming and looking in the same direction, and make sure this line doesn't change during the swing.

Swing down the line.
    swing down the line

Long distance fishing swear by keep looking up. So I pretty much think there is something in this for golf. Do you know where eyes should be looking during the golf swing?

Comment

'We have helped so many this winter season with this issue of the eyes moving; one of the ways we have done this is by performing a practice swing above the ball with the eyes staying on the top of the ball and just observing the blur of the club pass over the ball and seeing if it matches the direction of the intended initial flight of the ball in relation to the intermediate point which is just 6 to 12 inches in front of the ball; if the eyes move into the backswing, the intermediate point is lost from peripheral vision and the focus unplugs from the task.
      Once aware that everything matches, we lower the club to the ground, set the eyes on the grass behind the ball and look for the blur od the club head to go in the same direction as the practice swing; this has been super for those with moving eyes; you have to have a reference to know if you are on task!'

Shawn Clement quote answered in another thread. Thanks Shawn

Comment

That's a lot to think and about when you're about to swing the club.

Doesn't matter whether you look at the ball, behind the ball or in front of the ball. You need to look in the direction to which you are swinging.

You have an intermediate point between the ball and the target. Connecting these three points -- ball, intermediate point, and target -- forms a straight line, the target line. Your eyes identify with this line when you address the ball. That is, your eyes -- the eye line -- point in the same direction as the target line -- towards the target.

When you get behind the ball and adopt a closed stance, you change the direction to which the eye line points. Now, the eye line points to the right of the "ball, intermediate point, target" line.

This is why Shawn repeatedly says to "swing to the right of the intermediate point; release to the right of the target".

The direction to which you swing the club, the direction that the eye line points to, must match if you want to swing effectively.

Part of making WIG work is being comfortable with NOT swinging to the target because in WIG you swing to either the left (fade) or right (draw) of the target. Conventional WIG does not have one swinging to the target.

This is part of why I don't do WIG anymore. I can make WIG work (and I have), but I choose to swing to one line -- the target line -- every time, rather than swinging to different lines all the time. And yes, I have taken lessons with Shawn on multiple occasions.
        swing down the line

Comment

Originally posted by wooltie View Post

The direction to which you swing the club, the direction that the eye line points to, must match if you want to swing effectively.

Part of making WIG work is being comfortable with NOT swinging to the target because in WIG you swing to either the left (fade) or right (draw) of the target. Conventional WIG does not have one swinging to the target.

This is part of why I don't do WIG anymore. I can make WIG work (and I have), but I choose to swing to one line -- the target line -- every time, rather than swinging to different lines all the time. And yes, I have taken lessons with Shawn on multiple occasions
          Hi guys,

I hope that this is NOT a mere "semantic" exercise, but I think a bit of "definition" of what we mean by "...swing down the LINE..." has a bit of merit....

The LINE is NOT necessarily the FIXED line between the ball and the flag; but rather the DIRECTION in which we want to swing in order to MANUEVER the ball (curvature) into our ultimate objective? It is NOT necessarily going to be reflective of the "tracer-PATH" in which the ball ultimately flies, but the line upon which we swing the club in order to DELIVER the appropriate energies necessary to "curve" the ball into our "picture"?

I agree completely with wooltie (welcome back man, btw) in that your EYE-line should match your LAUNCH-line.

dude abides

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
          Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post

Hi guys,

I hope that this is NOT a mere "semantic" exercise, but I think a bit of "definition" of what we mean by "...swing down the LINE..." has a bit of merit....

The LINE is NOT necessarily the FIXED line between the ball and the flag; but rather the DIRECTION in which we want to swing in order to MANUEVER the ball (curvature) into our ultimate objective? It is NOT necessarily going to be reflective of the "tracer-PATH" in which the ball ultimately flies, but the line upon which we swing the club in order to DELIVER the appropriate energies necessary to "curve" the ball into our "picture"?

I agree completely with wooltie (welcome back man, btw) in that your EYE-line should match your LAUNCH-line.

dude abides
            Hi Dude, Greetings WIG Friends Near & Far

I believe that Mr. Wooltie has done some good work in the past several months and has greatly progressed in working things out for himself. I don't pretend to speak for him ..but in our correspondence ..we have talked frequently of how one perceives and aligns to a target and resulting target line (or line of intention) is critical to release and any body action..these things fit together as a sort of system..and in order to fully be realized..must therefore be congruent..

the key is then release type from alignment..

my conjecture would be that a body release..one that depends on body rotation and its particular timing has a bit more 'curving into the picture' ..vs. somebody who uses a more 'straight line' type of alignment and release..

deliver is the key word..

deliver the energy ..which is necessarily dependent on how one is aligned to visually direct it.

for What it's Worth - I'm in absolute agreement with what Dude is saying..but my Crackpot Research leads me to put forward that there are a bunch of ways to get this done and different descriptions of setup, alignment, swings, keys and releases are more than semantical..

cheers for now

k_f
            from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
            tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post

Hi guys,

dude abides
              As always...the dude abides...I like your style, dude...

And yes -- the line is not always the fixed line drawn between the ball and flag, but this line is a helpful point of reference in terms of helping you, the golfer, figure out where you are (the ball) and where you want to go (to the flag). So yes, you at least know I'm here, and I want to go "that a-way". Question is how do you get the ball to go "that a-way"?

More to the point -- the eyes will always see a straight line, but you as the golfer must first find your eye line. Once your find it, you become aware of where this line points. Where the line points is where you want to launch the ball.

How you setup at address e.g. closed, neutral, open, changes the eye line's direction.

So, the golfer is doomed to correct the wrong problem if:

The golfer sets up one way e.g. closed, and therefore eye'ing and launching to the right of the flag, but chooses to LOOK down the fixed line between the ball and flag...and somewhere Shawn repeats "swing to the right of the intermediate point.."

The moral of the story is...

Find the straight line...learn to swing down the straight line...then pick where you want to point the straight line. If you point it right of the flag, then draw the ball. If left, then fade the ball. If straight at the flag, then hit it straight at the flag (yes you can hit a ball near straight.)

Where you're to and where you're swinging to must match.
              swing down the line

Comment

Working...
              X