Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kid_fullerene View Post

Cally ..

great point ..any favorite dynamic vs. static videos that might help shed some light on this for T4?

I remember some 'oldies' ..not sure if he's got anything current that might connect a few of the dots!

cheers

k_f
    Hi Kid,
    Hi T4,

These classics are some of my favorites (and probably the same ones you were thinking of) on the subject of dynamic versus static . . .

And here's another one talking about dynamic versus static and how this concept ties in with the hammer into doorframe analogy discussed in a previous post, and the perception or feeling of going way to the right, but in reality the ball goes pretty darn straight . . .

Plus this one on perception to target . . .

Finally, here's one more relating to the side vision issue, and how our perception to target can be distorted because of how we see things from the side . . .

Comment

• kid_fullerene
      kid_fullerene commented
      Editing a comment
      Cally

some day they're going to wonder if you sleep in the Ivy Covered WIG Library - seems like you always show up with the complete reference set ..your Library Card must just be worn out by now! Thanks for putting these into the conversation, everything I hoped to see again and more! I think that these concepts will speak directly to what T4 is experiencing and how this works within the WIG Method & Swing System ..

cheers

k_f

Wow!! Thanks I’ll check em out!

Comment

Great videos! I can’t wait to try out the perception shots tomorrow starting with the draw off my back foot. I seem to get he fade descent, but the ball in the back of my stance is killing me right now.

Comment

T4,

I thought I would put Shawn's latest video in here too as I just watched it and I think it's timely for the things we are talking about in this thread, e.g., perception to target; feeling of going to the right for a draw; and how Shawn uses the arc to play a draw and a fade, and how we feel (and trust) the dynamic motion in relation to where we want to start the ball . . .

Comment

Great stuff!! I just got home from the driving range, and my perception is not what I thought it was. Started with the ball off my back foot and moved it forward till I was in center position. The ball seems to be going WAAAY farther right than it actually does and these vedios really helped a lot! Don’t know why I never tried just hitting to see where the ball goes, but after today I’m very excited about hitting the course! I was forced to swing to a target, and boy did that free up my swing even when I perceived it was already free. I was obviously steering the ball all along and not just letting the swing go where it felt! Really pumped about hitting the course tomorrow after today’s AHA moments!! Thanks

Comment

I forgot about the 100yd and under shots. Lol They were landing just right or right in line today which is a huge change from the norm. I had the ball slightly back of center, and I noticed that the shorter, “50 yds or so”, were all a little right. Beats a pull though!!

Comment

• Cally
              Cally commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds good T4! It seems to me that you're on the right track in getting away from the pull. At this point it may just be a minor adjustment with the grip/clubface relationship to get those shots that are a little to the right to land closer to the end target (i.e., less of a push flavor and more of a draw flavor).

• Cally
              Cally commented
              Editing a comment
              T4,

Just to clarify after reading your post again, on the shots that were landing just right, I was interpreting that your ball flight was starting right of the end target and also ending a little to the right of the end target, as in a straight push. Did I interpret that correctly? If so what I was suggesting is closing the clubface slightly to produce a little push draw or actually more of a straight draw flavor, albeit not really much of a draw with the shorter shots.

Yes sir that is exactly what it was. I’m just getting back into golf this year, so forgive me if I’m wrong but could it be that the shorter shots, “thus more lofted clubs”, were possibly going straight where I was aiming yet lacked the draw? BUT because of the more lofted clubs I didn’t close the face but maybe 15ish degrees instead of 30ish degrees. Now my mind is wondering if I should set up right of flag like a set up for a fade, play the draw with ball back in stance, thus peppering the flag? Or it could just be wishful thinking, over thinking, or putting a bandaid on a compound fracture? Lol Oh how I love this game!!!

Comment

T4,

Okay, I'm glad I was interpreting it the way you meant. What I was thinking with my suggestion of closing the clubface slightly is your clubface was dynamically a little too open causing the straight out to the right result (straight push). Beyond adjusting the grip/clubface relationship, I wouldn't change too much right now as I think you're on the right track with the results you're getting!

And just for a good explanation of how Shawn teaches the draw and fade using the arc, I'll put these in here . . .

Comment

Thanks so much!! I really feel I’m on the way to a breakthrough! I’ve got all next week off and plan on golf every day and putting this to the test!

Comment

This thread is opening up all kinds of avenues for me. Thanks to you Cally and everyone who’s contributed!!

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                    kid_fullerene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cally does some great work at WIG ..and it's awesome that you call it out! Nothing better than being part of someone's growth & success in the game!

Cheers

k_f

I am so grateful for everyone’s help on this thread, and again thanks! Small update on yesterday’s round. I went to the course with the mindset that I was going to just let the swing go where it wanted, and where the ball goes it goes. My 50-100 yard shots were the best they’ve ever been! I played a draw setup with every one of them, trusted my intermediate target, and my setup was always according to the intermediate target disregarding the perception that I felt. I did this with all my irons also and had the best pure striking day ever!! By the time I hit the back 9 my perception actually began shifting somewhat, and I felt with all my iron play that wherever I was aiming then there it was going! Guess what? There’s where it went or really darn close! I ended up shooting an 84, which isn’t my best “79 is”, but again the pure striking with my blades all day long was just a crazy feeling for me. The only reason I wasn’t in the 70’s is because I had 6 penalty strokes with the driver. Yep, that’s next because I was steering the crap out of it and just wouldn’t give away control. Just couldn’t do it! Lol Anyway, the best part is that I wasn’t tired at all afterwards, and could’ve played another 18 easy! Thanks again for all the tips and vedios! The day was so much more enjoyable just letting the swing go wherever it wanted with almost no effort, and watching such a beautiful 5 yd draw all day long!!

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                    kid_fullerene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Driver is next to arrive.. use the same or similar process..but figure out where the bottom of your swing is relative to where the Teed Ball is.. it will look different that what you first think but work out the intermediate target and target line ..and then stay committed.. you might find you're on the way to another breakthrough! Great News on today.. keep 'chopping wood' ..it will take some weeks of doing the thinking/working/aligning/practicing in just the same way you've done for the past few days to build the awareness and habit. Make notes..know what you're working on ..reinforce it..and capture your insights that come out of this work.

cheers

k_f

Just a small update as I played another round today with the same mindset of “just let it go where it will”, and it wasn’t a fluke! Shot a 39 on the front and ended up with an 85 total. The driver was good till the back 9 and penalties killed me. The only bad thing with my irons is now I’m hitting so many more “pure”, shots that I’ve gained about 10 yds average of distance all the way from my 4 iron too my 56 degree wedge. I’m good with that however! Thanks again. This game just got a lot more fun.

Comment

Going to give another update just because I’m excited and so that you guys know how much you’ve helped me. I’ve played every day this week and have stayed at 84-85, but still hitting pure irons just the driver penalties have been killing me. Today I hit half power driver shots just to stay in play and shot a 79!!! I kept everything in play but still struggling badly with the driver. My 100 yd and under shots were crazy good!! I had 3 birdies and from 100 yds in I was $$$$!! Just letting the swing go where it wants and setting up the machine to where it wants to go is changing my game in a big way! Thanks again for all your help! Shawn’s vedios, and your input has been almost like cheating, and I thank you for it!!!

Comment

Fantastic T4! It's great to hear these kinds of reports!

On the driver, here's a classic Shawn video for having a great overall approach to the driver swing for accuracy, and also for distance . . .

P.S. Next time you're at the range try the Payne Stewart drill that Shawn shows toward the end, and see if this helps with the driver issues.

Comment

Kid_, you got it right about the center of my swing. Played another round this morning, and was about to just give up for the day on the driver till the 12th hole. It’s a 300 yd par 4, I was playing by myself, so I thought heck with the score I’m gonna play aggressive and go for the green. Well the hole requires just a small fade, and about 280 carry. I set up for a fade, but decided to use my draw setup because my fades have been SO week lately. Low and behold I crushed it straight as an arrow with a carry of about 280 into a tree and still going! lol. Anyway, turns out I’ve been facing the ball without realizing it which killed my power and accuracy. The rest of the round I started playing the draw with the proper set up since I found the center of my swing, and compressed the heck out of the ball, with relatively straight ball flight. Thanks again!! Ended with an 83 today. So getting much more consistent.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                          kid_fullerene commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Tiger

Music to my ears! Love the sound of a well struck golf ball off Driver.. especially glad to know that it's giving you a bit more confidence with the big stick .. next range session, really work on practicing your target acquisition, alignment and setup into the target.. use markers for intermediate targets to the line and/or your swing center vs. where the ball is teed..the more you can ingrain that perspective and walking into your setup..the more you will enjoy putting the ball in play. Years ago .the Driver was called the 'Play Club' in that its job was seen as putting the ball into play.. it still is ..don't let the 'new' nomenclature fool you into thinking otherwise.. so terrific to hear of your progress and growing enjoyment of the game!! Cheers for now k_f
                      Working...
                      X