50-100 yard shots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50-100 yard shots

I just can't get this figured out.. Where should the ball be in my stance? I seem to be pulling everything to the left or aiming that way or something?? Can someone direct me in the correct path? TIA

Unless you are trying to play a special trajectory, back in the stance for a low shot forward in the stance for a higher softer shot, play the ball in the center of your stance like you do for your full shot! Now the only thing that should change from your normal shot is how much you NEED to turn for the amount of arm club unit range of motion to deliver the required amount of momentum for that shot distance. Take your most lofted club (unless it has a large bounce) and start a small perpetual motion swing. When you're comfortable with that range of motion bring the structure (you) to the ball and (center of stance) and just do your PMD through the ball. Feel how far your arms and body turn back and through and observe how far the ball travels and the shot shape. All you need to do from here is add or decrease the range of motion to change the distance the ball flies. Easy Peasy!!! ;>)

Comment

• Ken Robie
      Ken Robie commented
      Editing a comment
      Cally we need one of Shawn's little flop shot videos to start with, Can not remember what the students name was that Shawn was working with in a series of videos, but I think that is the one she wants to see.

Hi guys,

At the risk of sounding like a Capitalist-Retailer?

That 50 - 100 yard shot often times can be achieved with your WALLET?

I have FOUR wedges in my bag that are designed to handle that range of yardages...
    (PW; GW; SW; LW)

Sometimes it is just plain helpful to have the correct TOOL for your situation...

Be water, my friends
    dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Ken Robie
      Ken Robie commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep I have the same. 46,52,58,64

I would approach this slightly different . I would do the PMD/Goldilocks for my intended shot (ie. low, intermediate, high) , judge the angle of attack where the 'dandelion cutter' (ie. edge of clubface) needs to start to cut , then 'move the machine' to the ball (where the stem of the dandelion will be under the ball - that's my own preference rather than it being in front or behind). Then just swing to cut the dandelion stem by throwing the clubface to the target. I think pulls to the left could be that you are stalling 'your throw to target' with the body or arms (or both) prematurely and flipping your wrists at/through the ball.

Comment

I've got a 52,56,62,72. "The 72 is for my 15-250 yd skulls, lol". Usually anything 100yds under I use my 56, but even when playing the ball back I end up left. Maybe it's my focus? My 62 is used for 50-60 yds. Agin left. Pull? Not sure what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger View Post
        I would approach this slightly different . I would do the PMD/Goldilocks for my intended shot (ie. low, intermediate, high) , judge the angle of attack where the 'dandelion cutter' (ie. edge of clubface) needs to start to cut , then 'move the machine' to the ball (where the stem of the dandelion will be under the ball - that's my own preference rather than it being in front or behind). Then just swing to cut the dandelion stem by throwing the clubface to the target. I think pulls to the left could be that you are stalling 'your throw to target' with the body or arms (or both) prematurely and flipping your wrists at/through the ball.
        I think this could be true. I remember most of my long mid iron and long iron shots as I'm anal about the pause, but not with the wedges. I'll give it a go this morning. Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersx4 View Post

I think this could be true. I remember most of my long mid iron and long iron shots as I'm anal about the pause, but not with the wedges. I'll give it a go this morning. Thanks for everyone's input.
          Hi Tx4 ..

Good Morning Fans of WIG Everywhere..

I am not the 'Archivist' that Cally is - but hopefully can contribute to the greater good on this discussion..

in this first video ..Shawn talks about some critical setup 'presets' needed to put the body in a posture for best success relative the momentum that is heading for the target. This is critical as it's a 'pre-getting out of the way' of your anatomy as there is not sufficient momentum in a shorter shot to move the body in these shorter shots.

and relative to setup/ball position..the callouts in this Golf LIfeguard video about the importance of the Sternal Notch in relation to the desired shot line...

the short of it ..is that for a WIG practitioner to have consistency of technique through the bag ..having a sense of where the bottom of the swing is....there are adjustments in setup that are needed.

In Golf there is no Free Lunch ..where you find freedom ..there is work either having been done or being done someplace..

most of it is in setup..

and it's a 'matching game' ..

in WIG .you match the body into the form needed to allow a free flow of momentum towards the target..

also in WIG ..again as there is no 'Free Lunch' ..the optics are a little different in terms of how that flow of momentum is going to look ..

but ..if you can overcome the setup learning curve and the optics that result ..

you can enjoy an easy to play/internally timed fall and flow of the ACU ..

I was just re-reading Ken Robie's comments in the thread ..and he basically is saying the same thing in his comments earlier..

cheers

k_f
          from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
          tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

• Ken Robie
            Ken Robie commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I'm the "basic" guy in this thread and always yield to the more ornate and eloquent orators! ;>) How was that Kid???? ;>)

Hi Tigersx4,
          Hi Everyone,

Here are a couple of more recent videos that should reinforce what everyone here are recommending that you try.

Soft Pitching Freedom
          March 2, 2017
          https://youtu.be/eTYnWi0ufbc
          Goldilocks, Kinetic Chain, Get Out Of the Way.

Awesome technique on chipping displayed by Wisdom in Golf Premium Student Rob! See how he modifies his grip and stance to deliver a superb way of chipping the ball super consistently! Wisdom Approved Rob!!

https://www.facebook.com/wisdomingol...0604473650936/

Thanks,
          Gary

Comment

Another tid bit that I have been toying with that may help your direction consistency is try and feel as if you are pushing both hands as far away from your shoulders as you allow the ACU to swing through. Your arms can not get any longer than they already are and the bottom of your arc will become more precise both at the bottom of the swing as well as where that bottom is in the stance (forward, center, back).

Comment

Tigersx4,

I've also had a tendency to pull wedges and there can be a number of reasons/causes for this, but one suggestion I have for you is to be aware of how your head is tilted at address and during the shot. I'm referring to the 20/20 head position, and especially the 20 degrees of head tilt.

Here's a Shawn video on this 20/20 head position (starting at the 4:12 mark) . . .

In my experience, without the 20 degrees of head tilt the swing is steeper (even steeper than it should be for a wedge), and thus more prone to pulling across the ball from out to in whereas with the 20 degrees of head tilt the swing is shallower and a swing path approaching the ball more from the inside (not an across the line pull across the ball).

While you already got lots of input here to digest, this little nugget on the 20 degrees head tilt is something that's helped me with contact and direction, and it may help you too.

Comment

• Cally
                Cally commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd say that if your focus is initially on the ball or at some point defaults to the ball then the 20/20 head position won't feel right for the task of hitting the ball. The 20 degrees of head tilt orients you to the target out there rather than the ball down there. Thus, perhaps the disoriented feeling you mentioned is because you were used to focusing on the ball and there's a conflicting feeling, i.e., the task isn't matching with the head tilt. That said, even if we think we are focused out there, initially at least, it can be easy to default to the ball at some point during the swing. So trusting the intermediate target, like you said, will help you keep your attention out there toward the target instead of down there at the ball, and the 20 degrees head tilt will match with the out there intent.

Give it a little time and see how things develop. If your ball flight is consistently more what you want (not pulling like before) then I think you're on the right track, and it may just take some getting used to as far as the feeling of the 20 degrees head tilt.

P.S. I'll post another video or two for you in a minute that I think will help fine tune the head position at address and during the swing.

• Cally
                Cally commented
                Editing a comment
                Here are a couple more videos for you . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUiLVELXts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4D_9wfKqrE

Edit:

I just want to say again, that this 20 degrees of head tilt is something that helped me, but this may or may not be the same fix that you need for the pulling issue. While there can easily be other issues causing you to pull the ball, I thought I would throw this head position idea out there for you as just one possible solution. Anyway, I just wanted to add this thought here so that you don't spend too much time going down the wrong trail if this isn't the fix that you need.
                Last edited by Cally; 3 weeks ago.

• Ken Robie
                Ken Robie commented
                Editing a comment
                I will say that there can be a misleading comfort level when going from your Realfeelmatt to regular grass. The ball does not sit the same nor does your golf club get the same glide through the grass, and another big thing I have found with myself is the attack angle visual can be some what skewed when go to grass.

Originally posted by Ken Robie View Post
              Yeah I'm the "basic" guy in this thread and always yield to the more ornate and eloquent orators! ;>) How was that Kid???? ;>)
              KR

Brevity is the Mother of Clarity..

I'd say that it was perfect!

cheers

k_f
              tu nunquam hic

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersx4 View Post
                I pulled out my, "Real Feel", mats and hit some 35yd pitches with the head tilt. 20 to be exact. Those shots were pretty accurate but I felt kinda disoriented. Had to completely trust my intermediate target. Is that normal?
                T4

tell me about 'disoriented' and 'trust of immediate target' if you can.. that set of observations intrigues me very much..

so when you go to head tilt..

where do you feel like you're lined up?

how does the club head appear to be in relation to the ball?

where does the action seem to appear to go to?

cheers

k_f
                tu nunquam hic

Comment

Originally posted by kid_fullerene View Post

T4

tell me about 'disoriented' and 'trust of immediate target' if you can.. that set of observations intrigues me very much..

so when you go to head tilt..

where do you feel like you're lined up?
                  I feel almost too far behind the ball and like I’m going way right...
                  how does the club head appear to be in relation to the ball?
                  Club head looks open though it’s closed...
                  where does the action seem to appear to go to?
                  It feels like I’m going way right...
                  cheers

k_f
                  As far as feeling disoriented, I just feel like I’m not going anywhere near my target, and the best I can describe it is like looking at the ball through polarized glasses or under an inch of water? It’s just a totally different view than what I’m used to. That’s why I said I was totally dependent on my intermediate target 6 inches in front of my ball. If I were to swing where I “felt” I needed to then I would have to swing much more to the left. It was a much more free swing however.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                    kid_fullerene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    T4

very much appreciate you taking the time to respond ..and from what I can take from your observations and thought process ..it sounds like you have it 'right' (sorry pun just happened, honest).. a sort of WIG 'secret', at least in my telling ..is that WIG sets you up into the downswing ..so the club just has to fall straight down and through ..you'll be on the proper resulting plane (if you want to call it that) or 'attack angle' ..or completely target focused and related.. But the optics...well, that's pretty much as you've described.. and that's an important insight. so it's now a mission of understanding how you need to relate to the target. More to follow..but I would suggest you make a project out of working through Shawn's alignment and target videos .. cheers~ k_f

• Cally
                    Cally commented
                    Editing a comment
                    T4,

On the part about feeling like going way right, keep in mind as Shawn has often said, there's a big difference between what our static mind is telling us at address, and what actually happens dynamically through the shot.

Cally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUiLVELXts

At the 3:50 mark of this vedio you posted the hammer analogy hit me between the eyes. Maybe I am making the ball my target though I attempt not too. Shawn said earlier in that same vedio that his clients would also think it felt weird up until he put a hammer in their hands. I went and got my hammer just for kicks and low and behold a natural head tilt! Lol Anyway, thanks for posting and everyone’s input thus far!

Comment

• Cally
                    Cally commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't know if you did this hammer analogy just by feel or with the help of a mirror, but if you get into this hammer into doorframe set-up in front of a full length mirror you can not only feel the natural head tilt, but you can clearly see it as well; and you can also feel and see how the trail elbow will naturally lead the hands into impact (like skipping a stone, etcetera), and how this 20 degrees head tilt and trail elbow leading into impact will naturally work together. So I just mention the mirror as a way to help reinforce things.

Originally posted by Cally View Post
                  T4,

On the part about feeling like going way right, keep in mind as Shawn has often said, there's a big difference between what our static mind is telling us at address, and what actually happens dynamically through the shot.
                  Cally ..

great point ..any favorite dynamic vs. static videos that might help shed some light on this for T4?

I remember some 'oldies' ..not sure if he's got anything current that might connect a few of the dots!

cheers

k_f
                  tu nunquam hic

Comment

Working...
                  X