No announcement yet.

Shoulder turn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's it! Finally found my swing. It was there all the time but I didn't see it. "They have ears, but they hear not" as the Holy saying goes. In a nutshell, it's a blend of the Malaska move, Jack's flying elbow (kind of David Lee Gravity golf backswing) and Shawn's dandelion. The trick is to time it correctly. Obviously, gravity is the glue that hold everything together. I finally got it by sticking a laser beam to the end of my 7i. When executing the golf swing properly, it draws the shape of a fish on the ground. Could you believe that!? So simple! Just draw a fish. Go figure.

Comment

• Ken Robie
      Ken Robie commented
      Editing a comment
      Spring will be here sometime shortly (hopefully!!!). So with the opening of the season's just around the corner I have to know your secret....... What kind of fish is best for the golf swing????? ;>)

• kid_fullerene
      kid_fullerene commented
      Editing a comment
      good on you Mr. Ferko - glad to hear that it's looking and feeling great ... keep at it .. and even when something like Golf is 'cracked' there are always good & tough days and always new mountains after the mountains you've worked so hard to climb.. enjoy some time on course .. hit some shots that 'keep you coming back' and celebrate your focus and hard work! cheers,
      k_f

• After my April fool post (love the laser beam), I got back to my usual ups and downs with my irons. I couldn't keep going like that so I decided to take a lesson with a new pro at my local club. We had a very good conversation about my golf background, teaching, practicing, competition, my expectations (big change at the beginning of the season or not?), my commitment, etc. All while I was hitting balls with different clubs and receiving various comments like "I didn't see a practice swing" or "How should I know if your ball went left as you didn't seem to look at a particular target before executing the shot" ;-) I decided to go for the drastic change knowing it would impact my game.

The first tweak was about delofting the club. For instance, I hold my 7i with the loft of a 6i/5i. The sole of the club is not brushing the grass and I hit the ground with the edge. We had a conversation about the sole of the club, its edge and their purpose. He showed me how to use those with different lies. This was a real visual change at address. Also, the shaft pointed toward my bellybutton and the lower edge of the club was not in contact with the ground anymore. I had to take practice swings until I brushed the ground with the sole of the club. Only then could I hit a ball.

The second tweak was about wrists hinge as a source of power (which I lack). He basically made my arms hang loose with more wrists hinge at address and less "bowed". In this position, the sole of the club is not entirely on the ground (the toe is off). It felt really strange. Like my hands were closer to the ground. Relevant part for me at 3:05 in the following video.

Lastely, he gave me some exercice to practice after working on the two above issues. Setup and aim at a target. Hit shots left, at and right of this target without changing the setup. Not sure why but at this stage I had plenty on my mind and didn't ask questions.

Definitively happy about the lesson. I worried it would be about positions. It was really about understanding the different parts of the golf club (sole, edge) and their purpose and the source of power in the golf swing. I really like the practice swing i.e. take a practice swing until you obtain the proper brush of the ground. Definitively more work but I feel in good hands.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
      kid_fullerene commented
      Editing a comment
      he's giving you some good stuff to work on .. for what it's worth .. he's showing you a set of critical relationships.. between where the butt end of the club needs to be (it's going to work back to your belly button or belt line.. as the clubhead works outwards) and how all of this relates to the club face .. and the brush of the ground ..which Shawn sometimes describes as 'the blur' when the swing of the club is at speed.. this is the business end of the compression of the golf ball and while you can get it done in a lot of ways.. these relationships are pretty much eternal .. .. good luck with your studies and your progress .. you have a lot of good things in your swing already that you can work with .. stay patient, stay focused and stay positive! cheers for now.. k_f

• Originally posted by Ferko View Post
    The second tweak was about wrists hinge as a source of power (which I lack). He basically made my arms hang loose with more wrists hinge at address and less "bowed". In this position, the sole of the club is not entirely on the ground (the toe is off). It felt really strange. Like my hands were closer to the ground. Relevant part for me at 3:05 in the following video.

Hi Ferko,

For another good look at this, just thought I would post this Posture and Address video with Donna on this key part you mentioned about the sole of the club in the toe up position at address (starting at about the 2:35 mark) . . .

Comment

Working...
    X