No announcement yet.

Shoulder turn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's it! Finally found my swing. It was there all the time but I didn't see it. "They have ears, but they hear not" as the Holy saying goes. In a nutshell, it's a blend of the Malaska move, Jack's flying elbow (kind of David Lee Gravity golf backswing) and Shawn's dandelion. The trick is to time it correctly. Obviously, gravity is the glue that hold everything together. I finally got it by sticking a laser beam to the end of my 7i. When executing the golf swing properly, it draws the shape of a fish on the ground. Could you believe that!? So simple! Just draw a fish. Go figure.

Comment

• Ken Robie
      Ken Robie commented
      Editing a comment
      Spring will be here sometime shortly (hopefully!!!). So with the opening of the season's just around the corner I have to know your secret....... What kind of fish is best for the golf swing????? ;>)

• kid_fullerene
      kid_fullerene commented
      Editing a comment
      good on you Mr. Ferko - glad to hear that it's looking and feeling great ... keep at it .. and even when something like Golf is 'cracked' there are always good & tough days and always new mountains after the mountains you've worked so hard to climb.. enjoy some time on course .. hit some shots that 'keep you coming back' and celebrate your focus and hard work! cheers,
      k_f

• After my April fool post (love the laser beam), I got back to my usual ups and downs with my irons. I couldn't keep going like that so I decided to take a lesson with a new pro at my local club. We had a very good conversation about my golf background, teaching, practicing, competition, my expectations (big change at the beginning of the season or not?), my commitment, etc. All while I was hitting balls with different clubs and receiving various comments like "I didn't see a practice swing" or "How should I know if your ball went left as you didn't seem to look at a particular target before executing the shot" ;-) I decided to go for the drastic change knowing it would impact my game.

The first tweak was about delofting the club. For instance, I hold my 7i with the loft of a 6i/5i. The sole of the club is not brushing the grass and I hit the ground with the edge. We had a conversation about the sole of the club, its edge and their purpose. He showed me how to use those with different lies. This was a real visual change at address. Also, the shaft pointed toward my bellybutton and the lower edge of the club was not in contact with the ground anymore. I had to take practice swings until I brushed the ground with the sole of the club. Only then could I hit a ball.

The second tweak was about wrists hinge as a source of power (which I lack). He basically made my arms hang loose with more wrists hinge at address and less "bowed". In this position, the sole of the club is not entirely on the ground (the toe is off). It felt really strange. Like my hands were closer to the ground. Relevant part for me at 3:05 in the following video.

Lastely, he gave me some exercice to practice after working on the two above issues. Setup and aim at a target. Hit shots left, at and right of this target without changing the setup. Not sure why but at this stage I had plenty on my mind and didn't ask questions.

Definitively happy about the lesson. I worried it would be about positions. It was really about understanding the different parts of the golf club (sole, edge) and their purpose and the source of power in the golf swing. I really like the practice swing i.e. take a practice swing until you obtain the proper brush of the ground. Definitively more work but I feel in good hands.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
      kid_fullerene commented
      Editing a comment
      he's giving you some good stuff to work on .. for what it's worth .. he's showing you a set of critical relationships.. between where the butt end of the club needs to be (it's going to work back to your belly button or belt line.. as the clubhead works outwards) and how all of this relates to the club face .. and the brush of the ground ..which Shawn sometimes describes as 'the blur' when the swing of the club is at speed.. this is the business end of the compression of the golf ball and while you can get it done in a lot of ways.. these relationships are pretty much eternal .. .. good luck with your studies and your progress .. you have a lot of good things in your swing already that you can work with .. stay patient, stay focused and stay positive! cheers for now.. k_f

• Originally posted by Ferko View Post
    The second tweak was about wrists hinge as a source of power (which I lack). He basically made my arms hang loose with more wrists hinge at address and less "bowed". In this position, the sole of the club is not entirely on the ground (the toe is off). It felt really strange. Like my hands were closer to the ground. Relevant part for me at 3:05 in the following video.

Hi Ferko,

For another good look at this, just thought I would post this Posture and Address video with Donna on this key part you mentioned about the sole of the club in the toe up position at address (starting at about the 2:35 mark) . . .

Comment

• Struggling with the wrists but working "hard" on it. When I hit well, I really feel the weight of the club around the impact area. My wrists all work by themselves. Too much control in my swing? Snap the towel is an interesting analogy. I think Shawn talks about it too. Deccelerate to accelerate the golf club is an interesting concept. More work, more work ;-)

Comment

• Gary
        Gary commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe this is Shawn’s version of the wet towel analogy. However, Shawn does not recommend Impact Bags.
        Get Snap & Pop in your Swing: 7/27/2008
        http://youtu.be/s9n5PZuLMB8
        Lunge Whip/anchor your swing/lag/taut arms/"Indiana Jones"

• Practiced for 3 weeks before taking another lesson with my local pro. Worked on taking practice swings until I properly brush the mat before hitting a shot and relaxed wrists as he asked me to do.

Some progress regarding the loft of the club and more relaxed with the wrists. I told him about what was going in my mind because I wanted to clear things out. I told him about my 5 different swings (!). I won't go into the details but we talked about the role of the arms and the body and getting distance vs control. So, it depends on what you want to do.

We then went into a discussion about intent. My pro uses the PAR acronym which stands for Préparation Action Réaction (works in English too). Preparation is basically the kind of shot you want to make, your target, etc. and your associated setup to match your intent (at that stage I thought Shawn was talking to me ;-)). You then execute your shot and evaluate (Réaction).

We then went into shot shaping. He made me hit draw and fade. He didn't worry that much about setup but insited on the finish position for a fade (high and kind of controlled) vs a draw (more around and elbows "collapsed"). I think the objective was to get me to focus on intent (target and shot shape). More work for me...

We also talked about the feet position. I tend to hit high shot and not go through. He asked me to point my feet inwards and swing. It was impossible for me to use my hips as my knees were locked. He then asked me to play around with my feet opening and see how it affected my swing. Again very Shawn like and more things to explore for me...

Kept practicing after the lesson. Thought about the intent and realised I had really lost that. Took a swing. At the top of the backswing, I decided to go to the target i.e. swing into my body... who got out of the way (clever brain!). Purest shot for a very long time. Went through the bag like that. Don't have a clue what my body did but it felt so good. Looking forward to walking the golf course tomorrow ;-)

Comment

• I've been working on fade and draw, paying attention to my finish position as my Pro asked me to do. My real challenge is the draw and I got some success after two sessions at the range. Going more around is definitively a big change for me. My swing never felt like that before. Found this video with a similar idea. I don't think Shawn ever mentioned different finish position for these shots.

Last edited by Ferko; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Of course he did.

Comment

• Something very simple to try is to think about where your "thumbs" finish. For a "normal" draw flavor end up with your thumbs pointing over your front shoulder (left for right handers) for a "normal" fade end up with your thumbs pointing over your left ear.

Comment

• Managed to go to the range 5 times this week after work. Worked on fades and draws paying attention to my finish position. Draw is the most difficult for me. Also, not a lot of distance with both shot shapes.

What I noticed with the draw is that I needed to go more around. Slowly but surely, this forced me to extend more my arms especially when going through... And to move away from the ball.

I remembered what Shawn says about distance to the ball i.e. take a practice swing and notice where the club passes... and move the machine forward / bring that to the ball. This is exactly what I did with good result i.e. more distance and easier to shape the shot.

Also, really feel the wrists now during the swing. Also noticed my body really staying back to keep its balance while the arms went through. This was very noticeable.

I'm also more organised during my practice sessions. I know what I will work on and stick to the plan (vs working on something else as soon as I hit a few "bad" shots). I used to hit ball after ball but now I usually hit between 80 and 120 balls during one session (that's 2 to 3 half-buckets of 40 balls). 80 balls takes me 1h15m. All these practice swings take time ;-) as well as evaluating and reflecting on each shot.

Comment

• Draws are really coming along now. Focused on my wood today. The last practice sessions I tried to rotate around. Retrospectively, it was kind of an over the top move. Found it difficult to keep my balance in the finish position and it was not effortless.

I experienced something different today, namely the right shoulder going down from the top with an inside / outside path. Easier to go right and draw the ball. Funny how this came along. Only focused on the trajectory and just experienced this. Thought it was great so just repeated.

Still a tendency to hook the ball or go right with draw. Focusing on the trajectory is a real change. I really have it with fade. Look at the target / trajectory. Take a practice swing, keep my finish position and visualise the ball going to the "intermediary" target and curving back to the target and execute the shot. I tend to loose the target / trajectory with draw. Don't know why but I'll keep working it.

Comment

• Played around with front and back foot opening as my Pro asked me to do. I got the best result by keeping the front foot square and opening the back foot. This naturally shifts my weight on the front foot at address (braced tilt I guess) and allow me to easily turn in the backswing and keep the "pressure cooker" against the left side. I feel my weight is always on or against the left side during the whole swing. Very powerful and consistent.

I've been working on draw and fade at the same time. Fades are coming nicely but still ups and downs with draws. Happy about the improvements and more consistent swing.

Comment

• Ron I
                    Ron I commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like your pre-shot routine: . Look at the target / trajectory. Take a practice swing, keep my finish position and visualise the ball going to the "intermediary" target and curving back to the target and execute the shot

Seeing that you are experimenting with feet at set up, I thought I would mention an observation of my feet at set up. Something I noticed that I do when I try to match my set up with the shot (draw or fade) with the IT. For a fade my front foot tends to be a bit back of my back foot. And for a draw my front foot tends to be a bit in front of my back foot.

• thank you, but i not because That's where WIG is good with its external focus. Don't try to get body parts in such or such position but focus on result (ball to target) or process (cut dandelion stem). Also, WIG has good drills to cover different styles. I'm thinking one leg drill or feet together drill. Having said that, being conscious of our own style is important to understand if such or such advice is relevant or not.

Comment

• Real improvement today at the range with draw and fade. I used to have an intermediary target e.g. the 100 meters mark left of my final target (the 150 meters mark). I would swing to the intermediary target. I got rid of this intermediary target. I just focused on the final target and the trajectory to get there. A lot better. A lot more accurate in terms of distance and more freedom in the swing.

Comment

Working...
                    X