No announcement yet.

Shoulder turn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't quite reproduce the feel I had with my 3i during my last session at the range. So, I kept comparing my 3W and iron swings. I noticed earlier than my arms were more in front of me at address. I paid attention to the distance to the ball. Obviously the wood has a longer shaft but still.

Decided to go goldilock with my 3i. Did PMD letting the club go as far as it wanted to swing away from my body. And swung. Ball on a string. Hit a nice powerful fade. Nice rhythm. Waited for the weight. Felt the clubhead all the way. And such a snap in front. Felt like this guys in the video below. Especially around the impact area where it felt my body was resisting the pull of the arms big time.

What I realised now is that I wasn't doing PMD properly. Swung the club too close to my body instead of letting the arms extend as they wanted.

Don't know why I have different feel with my 3W and irons. I paid attention to my 3W swing and I can see my body is resisting the pull of the arms. Maybe difference in weight (graphite vs steel? Weight of the clubhead?).

Anyway, I just feel liberated. No more crap about right elbow staying close to the chest or wrists hinge in the backswing. This video came to my mind. Not very golf-like but who cares. In French she doesn't say "let it go" (although it talks to me) but "freed, liberated". Here is the French version.

Funny things, three kids playing around at the range came to me at that moment asking to video my swing because it was so "good". It was for some school work. I gladly obliged delivering a nice powerful fade. Bloody snap out here. And so I can say that I was once admired for my swing! Obviously they don't know it's just bloody hard work and sweat. Love the Great Game.

Comment

Kept reading Tchouang Tseu a.k.a Zhuangzi. A little excerpt. I found an English translation but found it very obscure. Here is my own translation (from French. Not Chinese!). Still obscure somehow but at least in today's words.

Originally posted by Zhuangzi
      The beauty of Heaven and Earth is wordless, the regularity of the four seasons is expected, the constitutive order of things unspoken. The sage knows how to reach the source of Heaven and Earth beauty, he understands the constitutive order of all things. Having observed the way of the universe, the all-round man does nothing, the sage doesn't get involved. They unite with the illuminating, divine and subtle principle and are one with the thousand and thousand transformations of the matter.
      To do nothing or non-doing is actually more subtle than it looks. The word has different meanings depending on the context. Think about the meanings of the word "spirit" for example. There are many. In the right context, non-doing actually means doing but with little effort.

And are we not united with a subtle principle and one with the thousand and thousand transformations of the matter when we swing effortlessly?

Comment

Worked on putting this morning. Short putts are not an issue but I struggle with long putts. Contact is usually not good and distance suffers accordingly.

Maybe that's because I cut tree and hit volley ball so much but I just took the same posture. Weight on the front foot, ball more forward and I felt the ball was in the way of me swinging to the target. Contact was good and I was pretty good in terms of distance control on long putts. I immediately noticed that my grip pressure was more intense.

I always had the idea that the putting stroke was a gentle pendulum and that I just should just swing further back to add distance. It now feels I take exactly the position I take when chipping or swinging and that I'm more "hitting" through the ball.

Regarding the axis of the swing being left, I read some stuff on natural preferences and it matches my profile. I understand other profiles keep their axis centered while other keep their axis on the right side.

Anyway, it feels like I'm unlearning my golf swing. And this thread is becoming kind of my blog so I should probably rename it...

Comment

Shawn talks about turning your arse rather shoulders.

Comment

• Schrodinger
            Schrodinger commented
            Editing a comment
            Unless I'm mistaken, when Shawn talks about shoulders he is referring to the individual shoulder joint movements (4:55 - 5:05). Whenever I think about shoulders rotating , I've always visualised two shoulder joints being connected by a rigid 'rod' rotating around a pivot axis. I'm sure people think of the latter when they talk about a 90 degree shoulder turn (ie. from the position in space of 'rod/shoulder sockets' unit at top of backswing vs address position). I don't think Shawn is saying to move the whole upper torso 'passively' by using the turn of the hips because that doesn't make sense to me? We have very powerful muscles in the upper torso that can assist the hips (if you let them) to turn the 'whole turntable ' so just let your CNS work out which muscles need engaging for your focused intent. If you have a big muscular butt and weak upper torso , maybe turning that turntable will primarily be a 'derriere' influenced 'trebuchet counterweight'. But maybe you have a skinny non-muscular 'behind' but strong abs, pecs , lats ,etc ? Maybe your CNS will use those muscles primarily in tandem with your hips to rotate the turntable. In the latter scenario, the 'trebuchet counterweight' will primarily be your upper torso but never in conflict (ie, x-factor) with the lower half (which will cause strain and wear and tear in the facet joints).

Whatever makes up that counterweight (butt, upper torso or most likely a combination) , there will be a resultant rotation of that 'rod and shoulder sockets' unit (with virtually zero degree of individual shoulder movement - as per Shawn's definition) which (imho) will cause a 'torque'. That torque transmitted via the pivoting rigid 'rod/shoulder sockets' unit is a secondary effect of the pivoting counterweight (whatever its constitution) moving in UNISON (ie.no large pelvic/torso separation, no x-factor ,no strain,no injury).

PS.
            A gentleman called DG Seward was one of the first to form an analogy between the golf swing and an upside down trebuchet . Ron posted a video of this in a previous post:

https://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/f...vid-leadbetter

The analogy is defined below:

The raised weight represents the torque applied through the shoulders,
            the long wooden beam represents the golfers arm,
            and the rope sling represents the shaft of the golf club.
            Last edited by Schrodinger; 3 days ago.

My purpose in posting the video was to make sure that the shoulder turn is thought as a dynamic process involving the hips and lower torso. It is as Shrodinger says, "
          We have very powerful muscles in the upper torso that can assist the hips (if you let them) to turn the 'whole turntable ' so just let your CNS work out which muscles need engaging for your focused intent."
          The Feet Together Drill really allows you to feel the hips turning and the derriere pointing towards the target in the backswing. I believe the swing feel of the derriere pointing towards the target is a more powerful swing thought than having the thought that the shoulders are pointing towards the target because it insures a bigger turntable move.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron I View Post
            My purpose in posting the video was to make sure that the shoulder turn is thought as a dynamic process involving the hips and lower torso. It is as Shrodinger says, "
            We have very powerful muscles in the upper torso that can assist the hips (if you let them) to turn the 'whole turntable ' so just let your CNS work out which muscles need engaging for your focused intent."
            The Feet Together Drill really allows you to feel the hips turning and the derriere pointing towards the target in the backswing. I believe the swing feel of the derriere pointing towards the target is a more powerful swing thought than having the thought that the shoulders are pointing towards the target because it insures a bigger turntable move.
            Hi guys,
            If there is ONE thing that I FAIL to do (typically) that sabotages my swing-attempt, it is this.
            I fail to TURN! I know I'm supposed to and I try my damndest to TURN like I'm supposed to....

But, (unfortunately) I often defer to my "youth-training" of preparing to SLIDE forward?

Sounds like a great goal for 2018?
            Rather than "...turn my SHOULDERS towards the target...
            Rather than "...turn my HIPS towards the target....

How about "...turn my BUTT towards the target?

I don't know IF it'll make a difference, nor do I understand WHY it SHOULD?
            But....you never know which key will open the lock?

I'm gonna give that a try.
            Thanks Ron!

dude abides
            Last edited by COSTA103; 3 days ago.
            "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
            Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hi guys,

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
              How about "...turn my BUTT towards the target?
              This made me think of Shawn saying in the following video, "So when I remove the body out of the way using the legs, you're going to feel a major swivel, an oily swivel of your BUTT toward the target." See between the 6:46 and 7:00 marks . . .

Comment

• Cally
                Cally commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought I would add to this that I like the feeling of pressing my right/rear heel into the ground as I initiate the takeaway and turn out of the way in the backswing.

Cally, why only back heel?

Comment

I was there too.

Tried something here and there, every new video of Shawn was a source of wisdom, but also confusion. Information overload and - read the threads - many internal thinking and only few task executions.

Since I decluttered my brain, even with the nuggets of Shawn, and do much simpler tasks, my golf performance exploded.

It is simple, but boring to stick with a single task instead of intellectual thinking about details.

Find something, that naturally turns the body in an appropriate way and don’t change every day.

My break through was the video with the left hand swing (I am right handed).

There is the intermediate target, the ball, slash through both with the left hand, everything is fine, including shoulder turn.

For training purpose, observe, whether the take away fits the task to slash through BOTH in the correct PATH. Body will find ( quickly) a solution for that simple task.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron I View Post
                  Cally, why only back heel?
                  Hi Ron,

For me it goes back to this old video where (starting at about the 7:00 mark to about the 8:30 mark) Shawn is in the forward press move with the back heel lifted off the ground slightly and then he plants the back heel into the ground to initiate the move into the backswing . . .

The walk to a better swing video would be a more recent example of this plant; fall feeling of the back heel planting to initiate the swinging of the arms into the backswing . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X