Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Mike Austin swing language translate over to W.I.G. ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Mike Austin swing language translate over to W.I.G. ???

So does the Mike Austin philosophy swing language translate over to the W.I.G. description oration??

Here is what I found on his swing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Austin_Swing

Looks like he's a "grounded" type of golfer and so naturally uses a translation (hips move laterally) rather than a rotation.

Comment

Ken, from what I remember about Mike Austin I would say that his swing language is about positions and and muscle movements. It focuses on the internal aspects of the swing, not the external like WIG. That being said I believe his swing philosophy is spot on. It describes the kinectic chain of the golf swing. He uses the term kinesinolgy (sp?) which basically is using the body and bone structure as it is meant to be moved when you swing the club, which is just like WIG.

Comment

• Ken Robie
        Ken Robie commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron, from what I'm hearing and seeing is the distance of age between what Mike describes in his descriptions and and what the present day descriptions of W.I.G. uses for words to describe the W.I.G. swing.. He seems to fixate on his description of his swing but the way that his body moves to execute the shot is spot on WIG to me. There are always going to be points along the physical swing that appear to be different from WIG because WIG has been refined for quite some time now. Just thought the DNA of his swing looked very useful in our journey.

I agree with you Ken. There are a few videos like Ferko posted you can find on you tube. Here are a few more videos and you will see how he explains the swing with detailed descriptions of body movements. However, he is explaining the natural movement of the body during a golf swing.

He was quite the character. He holds the world's record for the longest drive in a PGA event 515 yards.
      He had a strong wind behind him. He shared an apartment with Errol Flynn and gave lessons to Howard Hughes. In Search Of The Greatest Golf Swing by Philip Reed is a book about Austin's swing, golf lessons and his life. He gave golf lessons most of his life.

Throwing motion of swing
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGz5...07D73177CA8459

Secret of compound swing---- He had a stroke and lost movement on one side of his body but he still gave lessons with Mike Dunaway, long drive champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7FyCquJzII

Comment

• Ken Robie
        Ken Robie commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron, yes I was watching those vids before I posted about him.

Mike Austin was an extremely smart (intelligent) man. If you want the best he has to offer then look for his swing video's on youtube that he gives lessons to a guy after his stroke. He lays it all out and holds back nothing. Ron has mentioned this video in his post above.

They are more informative than his 'sceleton suit' video's. The channel is called mike austin fan. If i remember.

He has a freewheeling style and is a fan of shot shaping. He has tried to break down the swing by explaining muscle movement but also explains the swing with plenty of analogy and natural movement logic which is what Shawn also does.

I rate him and think he is not to be dismissed. Offers much much more than the average golf post. In fact he is up their with Shawn in terms of understanding in what he does and communicates.

The guy shot level par in competition using a one handed swing! You just cant bullshit that !!!!!

When I made the observation that my intent was floored the game changing video for me was Shawn's braced tilt video. I had a lateral swing intent with transfer of weight from right to left through the swing which led to a constant sway floor in my swing. Id even sometimes roll to the outside of my back foot, Id fan out my hands and fix it all with a bandaid of a big timed sway through the swing to target. Needless to say that required crazy coordination levels just to shoot mid teen figs.

When I watched how much earlier Shawn got onto his left side during the brace (target side) I actually laughed at that and thought how ridiculas that sounded. This was many years ago. Maybe even ten years ago. How wrong I was to laugh.

Then I watched Jacks swing in particular and could see that he was certainly braced tilt just as Shawn had said. You can see Shawn is right because with out that you just cant show as much of you back to target as is required. Also if you see Sergio's back to target then braced tilt is the only explaination to how he gets back to the ball during down swing. Sergio actually leans toward target. That cannot be achieved if intent is a latteral swing through the ball.

Mike Austin also explains the weight and hip movement of the braced tilt very clearly. He also talks about the swing weight in terms of pitcher and walking. Sound familiar?

When I see golfers at the local range not one of them understand the braced tilt and nearly all are swinging at the ball laterally with an intent of hitting the ball. They all get on their left side eventually but no way near as early as necessary in the swing. Its nothing to do with physical ability is just pure missunderstood intent.

Last edited by Gmonkey; 04-13-2018, 06:20 AM. Reason: braced tilt

Comment

• Ron I
        Ron I commented
        Editing a comment
        Really like Austin's throwing motion of the swing video! You can see the back foot's heel is moving up when wing is making contact with the ball and the front foot is firmly set with the weight on it. https://www.youtube.com/watchv=KGz52...07D73177CA8459

Question for Gmonkey. Do you use a brace tilt for a fade?

Comment

Yes but no preturn. Shawn explains with exact clarity here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaa9LGVGI4

Mike Austin talks about the idea to imagine your spine runs down to each foot.

The absolute gold from Shawn and Mike is how early their weight is supported in balance on front side. This is the real key. But for your specific question I 100% agree with what Shawn says in the video I have posted on fade vs draw. If anyone sways in the swing then they simply don't understand how early you brace of front side.

Hope that helps

Comment

• Ron I
          Ron I commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I mixed up the terms braced tilt and preturn. I totally agree with you on having your weight supported on the front foot. The one foot drill nicely demonstrates this. AND it is extremely important that the weight on the front foot is on your arches, not your toes.
          Last edited by Ron I; 04-14-2018, 07:56 AM.
      Working...
      X