Toss the ACU Away not Around

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toss the ACU Away not Around

So after getting some good tidbits of awareness in my Brace and Weight Shift topic which had helped me turn a major corner with that piece of my kinetic chain I have become aware of another piece that I need to attend to. Kid mentioned some points on the ACU which had gotten me thinking about the ACU in conjuction with the brace. Even though I am on the right patch with the brace and weight shift I was still spraying the ball around. Pull hooks and push fades were the predominant misses. So I was thinking, "How?". Thanks to Kid's points about the ACU being able to fall I realized that even though I am braced and unwinding around the front you can still get the ACU into a place where it gets stuck.

For me this is coming from, I believe, tossing the ACU "behind" me; as in around my back/shoulder. To clarify, if I were to let go of the club right before the top of my back swing it would go flying behind my back at like a 45* angle. Thus when I transition my trail arm gets stuck behind me and I have to flick/early extend at the ball (push fade) or rotate really hard (pull hook) in order to make solid contact. The only way to avoid getting stuck while allowing the ACU to fall is to toss the ACU "away" in the back swing. I still need to go back and review videos on the subject but I don't think I'm too far off here.

Hi JM

very glad to read of your progress in this thread and in your 'brace' thread - you've made some important conceptual progress in your journey and I like where you're going with this.

I would offer you another thought in an effort to amplify what you're sharing and my hope is that it will help ..

let's approach it this way .. Shawn talks about the club head swinging or being attached to the ACU that swings along or 'TRACKS ITS OWN ARC' ..

he also makes a very specific point about showing how the club face is given 'maximum access to the target' ..

you have so much of it right now realizing the 'away, not around' and avoiding the 'stuck' ..

see if you can find the club face's 'own arc' and 'maximum access'??

think about it from the club face's perspective..

what is it relative to?

Shawn is very specific about it not being the ball - but rather an intermediate point ahead of the ball (the true low point?) that is on the target line.. so the clubface finds that line and the ACU is your connection to that 'heavy fall'.. and your body responds ...

I had to find this by literally putting a flag (a defined target) out in my yard and running a line back to my golf ball and then marking out my stance line parallel to it.. then it began to make some sort of cognitive sense to me ..

see how that visual map might relate to your sense of away vs. the 'around' ..

and how your body works to support that clubhead access..

cheers

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Hi JM

HI WIG Friends..

not saying that you necessarily want to apply these concepts as shown - as Shawn has some specific thoughts on how best to accomplish alignment .. but I really like how he defines where the target is with the lines and cones ..

I've also done this with a sort of 'gate' concept from Mike Malaska.. where I put a Rod on either side of the line a few feet out from it .. so I can see where the left and right of the target line are.. and/or put an upright rod right into the line several feet out from where I've put my 'toe line' or 'stance line' parallel to the target line...

your need to do this and benefit from it may vary from mine.. for me .. conquering the visual illusions of where I thought I was in space from where I actually was and defining what a 'target picture' is in a concrete fashion was extremely helpful ..

at some point it has to become less abstract and become more of a useful tool .. where one's intention becomes a sort of plan of action ..

the whole 'club head momentum release blur action to target' only really can work if you have an idea of where the target is ..

anyway ..

worked for me .. probably should dig my 'target toys' back out .. would do me some good..

cheers

k_f
      tu nunquam hic

Comment

HI Guys

last one on this for the evening ..

I like the illustration of the target line going through the ball and past the stance of the golfer 'into infinity' ..

while 'arcs' emerge from the action.. the line of maximum target access.. that shortest most efficient distance .. is that through line..

I like that concept and try to incorporate that into my alignment mentality.. again, may not be the right thing for you .. try it .. maybe it works....

but don't be afraid to move on from it if it is not a fit ..

cheers

k_f
        tu nunquam hic

Comment

JM

this is the video I had in the back of my mind when you first posted on the Brace Thread .. it's a classic and it speaks to both points I've stumbled around trying to illustrate .. the how and where of the fall of the clubhead..

that's probably all you need to hear from me on this other than I respect your pursuit of your 'golf truth' and send you positive energy and encouragement for your hard work ahead.

what I would share is that the more you have a sense of where you want the swing energy to go and more actively focus on sending it there the better your results are .. it also opens the door to finding the physical changes in setup and swing that you're seeking..

they literally begin to fit the picture that you're building..

I know that you're at the right place ..and you're asking the right questions and looking for the right answers ..

hopefully some of the stuff I've thrown into this mix will contribute to it in a good way - and it may be just a little springboard to the real questions and tools you'll need to build to address them

cheers

k_f
          tu nunquam hic

Comment

Originally posted by JMS546 View Post
            For me this is coming from, I believe, tossing the ACU "behind" me; as in around my back/shoulder. To clarify, if I were to let go of the club right before the top of my back swing it would go flying behind my back at like a 45* angle. Thus when I transition my trail arm gets stuck behind me and I have to flick/early extend at the ball (push fade) or rotate really hard (pull hook) in order to make solid contact. The only way to avoid getting stuck while allowing the ACU to fall is to toss the ACU "away" in the back swing. I still need to go back and review videos on the subject but I don't think I'm too far off here.
            Hi JMS,

I believe you're on the right track with what you're thinking and feeling here.

The way I understand the golf swing is the body pivots while the arms move up and down. If however, in the takeaway and backswing, the arms move "around" with the pivot of the body then the arms will get stuck behind you in which case the ACU will no longer be able to simply fall in front of you down the swing plane. Rather, some sort of manipulation will be required in an effort to get the ACU back out in front of you.

As you know from following Shawn as long as you have, he talks about gravity tacking the arms and the club. So when the arms and the club track gravity they do not follow the turn of the body. If however the arms move "around" with the turn of the body then they will get "stuck behind you."

You said, "The only way to avoid getting stuck while allowing the ACU to fall is to toss the ACU away in the backswing." So it sounds to me that your takeaway has been too much to the inside, and this feeling you now have of "away" in the takeaway and into the backswing as you described is getting you more in a place where the ACU is moving up and down and tracking its own arc rather than the arms following the turn of the body and thus getting wrapped "around" you. I'd also add that after the initial feel of "away" in the takeaway, the arms should then feel like they are "levitating" up as you complete your backswing.

If I'm on the same page as you and am correctly interpreting what you're describing then I think what Shawn shows in the following video will help. While this is a video on the Chip and Hip Turn, Shawn shows with a medicine ball how the ACU should move in relation to the pivot of the body. And since the chip swing takeaway is the same as the full swing takeaway, I believe this medicine ball drill will help you with the full swing too in allowing the arms and the club to track their own arc while the body pivots. You will also see in here, when done correctly, how Shawn's left hand will stay under his right hand in the takeaway. It's like an underhand toss into the backswing. If however the arms follow your body turn, and get wrapped around and stuck behind you, the orientation of the hands will change.

Without further ado, here's the relevant part starting at the 1:25 mark . . .

Comment

Hi Everyone,

if if you are having issues “Tossing” the ACU during your Takeaway what don’t you try “Placing” during the Takeaway.

Should You Place or Toss The Backswing: 6/6/2014
              http://youtu.be/vV-fWzcc9Vw

How To Stay With The Shot: 7/9/2014
              http://youtu.be/wSSd9h4yzDI

“Make sure you take the time to know that you are still getting ready to whip to the direction you want to start the ball in all 3 check points: takeaway, yes it feels like the weight of the ACU would cut grass in that direction if I let it fall...top of backswing: yes, as I get here, it feels like the ACU is loaded and ready to whip cut the grass in that direction (stay with draw and right side of intermediate point) then Downswing: feel that whipping cut through to the right of intermediate point with low strain and nice velocity. Make it a nice flat footed whipping cut!"(Shawn Clement)

First Blog Mile Markers: 12/18/2014
              http://youtu.be/GLfs4cym8Ng

TOSS VS PLACE: June 12, 2015
              http://youtu.be/O-nHsAhJaCE

Easy Way to March Backswing to Your Shot
              February 26, 2017
              https://youtu.be/pXhJv4cyvGA
              Last edited by Gary; 06-30-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Was able to get to the range and practice these concepts. Here's the thing..sometimes what you think is a toss ain't a toss. What I was/am doing I realized is a manipulation to ensure I am getting the ACU "away". Unfortunately this realization did not occur until 90% of the way through my bucket of balls. So I got another bucket to chase this down the rabbit hole, my hands are a bit on the sore side to say the least. The thing that threw the light switch was that I really had a hard time getting the feeling of release towards the target. The only way I could get this was to go back to the PMD.

The thing is when I go to hit shots with the feel of the PMD it scares the living bajeezus out of me. The voice in my head screams its lungs out during the swing, "What are you doing?! There is no way you can hit the ball like that!". I know it's the whole lose control to gain control thing that is setting off these alarms in my head. But when everything comes together it's a thing of beauty, I hit one 7 iron dead straight and at least 20 yards further than I normally do.

The other scary thing I noticed is that when hitting shots with the feel of the PMD the ACU feels like it is really "under" me during the down swing and the mental alarm goes off again saying, "You are going to stick the club into the ground doing that!".

Comment

My son has big issues to throw the arms around.
                  We did the grass whip.
                  Stripes of cutting grass parallel to the feet line, no problem.
                  It was an eye opener for him.
                  Is that the same path the arms and the clubhead follow in a normal golf swing? Oops, no.
                  When Shawn showed me the idea to cut grass between ball and leading edge of the club I totally misunderstood and was trapped to hit AT THE GRASS.
                  Once I understood to cut a dandilon, out of nothing the golf swing was a pretty easy..... task ..to do.

So, if you really stay with the shot and cut dandilons, it is nearly impossible to do the darn stuck behind, or to toss to the inside.

Like hammering a nail.
                  There is only one reasonable plane to do it, and our brilliant brain has absolutely no issue to find it.

We do it everyday hundred times. Eliminate the short circuits , stay with the task and enjoy ridiculous easy golf.

Comment

Got back to the range and focused on awareness of release, the feel of the PMD and staying on the task of delivering the release. Major, major improvement all around. Gone were the weak push fades, tops and chunks. Only miss-hits were due to obvious loss of focus and task. It didn't once cross my mind about where I was tossing the ACU or my posture/brace. It all fell into place when I focused on the feel of release and delivering it into a picture. Great stuff!

I think the major factor of this was finally recognizing the feel of release and crystallizing the idea of delivering that into the target. Now it is down to refining how I deliver that feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpineberlinette View Post
                      When Shawn showed me the idea to cut grass between ball and leading edge of the club I totally misunderstood and was trapped to hit AT THE GRASS.
                      Once I understood to cut a dandilon, out of nothing the golf swing was a pretty easy..... task ..to do.

So, if you really stay with the shot and cut dandilons, it is nearly impossible to do the darn stuck behind, or to toss to the inside.
                      Alpineberlinette, do you mind on expanding on this and what your misunderstanding was about and how you recognized and retrained your brain to the correct task?

I have a grass whip and unfortunately it has not clicked yet. I WANT my task to be cutting grass because I think that will be the easiest task for my brain to stay with on all or at least most shots in the golf course. I’m playing with doing what Shawn says focusing my eyes on the grass between the leading edge of the club and ball or in front of the ball. My contact is better when in front of the ball and I believe that is helping with a through task.

Thanks,
                      Rob

Comment

I think, hitting at the ball is a well know problem.

The difference of the grass leave, it has an obvious vertical dimension.
                        So, to cut this is a common task.
                        And this task is definetely not hitting at, it‘s hitting through something.

When I misunderstood the idea of Shawn I saw the grass leave as an non defined object, like the ball, and voila, I hit at that.

Now I see the grass leave as a mini bamboo stick with an vertical dimension.

Second misunderstanding was about the head of the gold club. For me it was formerly a bigger piece of iron. Basically I still saw the clubface, not the sole.
                        Now the club head is much more tiny, it’s only a small blade parallel to the ground, an ideal tool to cut small grass leaves.

Last not least, don‘t forget to interpret the task more detailed in order to let the leaves you cut off, fly over the intermediate target. This enhances the „through“ aspect.

Comment

Thanks Alpine. You reminded me of one time flushing it at the range thinking of slashing through a watermelon and seeing the imaginary spray going over the intermediate target.

Comment

If I may add a little extra detail to your task picture that does not get expanded upon with any depth ( coming pun intended) Shawn always mentions that the task is not just cutting the dandelion out from underneath of the golf ball ( which appears to most golfers as a 2D task picture) but that the ball sits suspended above the ground (somewhat) by the grass itself. The actual path of the sole of the club is in fact a downward arc that does not finish it's descending motion until it passes in front of the ball. Hence ball, grass, ground,below ground then starts the accent back above the ground and grass. If your task picture does not include this, IMHO the sole of the club tends to be shallow resulting in very thin contact on the face of the club.

Comment

Thanks Ken! I plan on ordering the Mellhorn grass whip and will be spending a lot of time in the backyard slashing through the stem and ground et al of some white plastic golf balls.

Comment

Working...
                              X