Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schrodinger
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with Cally . I sometimes switch my external focus cue to something else, like picturing the trajectory the ball should be taking, maybe 20-30 yards in front of me . Then keeping that 'outcome' as my major focus from start to finish.

• Cally
    replied
    Originally posted by akgolfnut View Post
    I have a hard time cutting the dandelion for hybrids and the tip of the tee for drivers. I don't know what it is, i have watched and re-watched Shawn's videos on this concept, but for some reason i have "hit the ball" mentality when it comes to hybrids, my 3-wood and driver. I guess with the wider club head, i can't trick my mind into believing this is a grass cutting tool. Irons are not an issue.
    Hi ak,

FWIW, I too have had a hard time with the cutting the dandelion analogy. I understand the idea of "cutting the dandelion stem," but personally I'm not a fan of this particular analogy. I also think that certain analogies may resonate better for certain types of shots, and for certain types of clubs. For example, for me to get the continuous motion through the ball action, I do better with the "throwing the club" analogy for irons; the "skipping the stone" analogy for the hybrid and fairway metal; and the "ball on a string" analogy for the driver.

Anyway, my point is, some analogies will work better for some more than they do for others, and after you've given a particular analogy (e.g., "cutting the dandelion stem") a fair chance and you're still having a hard time with it then it's probably just an analogy that doesn't resonate well for you (at least not right now) with certain clubs. While the "cutting the dandelion stem" idea may work well for you with irons, maybe for you with the fairway metal for example, the "skipping the stone" analogy will resonate better for you. Like Alpine said, "skip the club over the ground, create that special sound, as if the club skips over the grass like a stone over the water surface." It's a certain feel and a certain sound that you're looking for. Just like this . . .

Leave a comment:

• COSTA103
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpineberlinette View Post
    Do you remember Harvey Penick saying „take dead aim“?
    It may make a difference if you try to clip the tee with the driver vs touch the very last mm of the tee with the lowest mm of the driver sole.
    Be very precise.
    Get a better, more precise gardener.
    Check whether you turn left (most do this non consciously) to the ball for the driver closer to the left foot.
    If so, it’s hard to clip in direction to intermediate target in an already upward swing.
    For hybrids and fairway clubs, learn to skip the club over the ground, create that special sound, as if the club skips over the grass like a stone over the water surface.

As always, Marcus comes with the gems!

In MY experience, "turning left" (or FACING the BALL?) is a key problem for most...
    It is "body language" to "...I'm paying ATTENTION to the BALL?

IF your "task" is "cutting grass"....

Why are you concerned about the ball?????

Love this place and you guys

dude abides

Leave a comment:

• Alpineberlinette
    replied
    Do you remember Harvey Penick saying „take dead aim“?
    It may make a difference if you try to clip the tee with the driver vs touch the very last mm of the tee with the lowest mm of the driver sole.
    Be very precise.
    Get a better, more precise gardener.
    Check whether you turn left (most do this non consciously) to the ball for the driver closer to the left foot. If so, it’s hard to clip in direction to intermediate target in an already upward swing.
    For hybrids and fairway clubs, learn to skip the club over the ground, create that special sound, as if the club skips over the grass like a stone over the water surface.

Leave a comment:

• akgolfnut
    replied
    I have a hard time cutting the dandelion for hybrids and the tip of the tee for drivers. I don't know what it is, i have watched and re-watched Shawn's videos on this concept, but for some reason i have "hit the ball" mentality when it comes to hybrids, my 3-wood and driver. I guess with the wider club head, i can't trick my mind into believing this is a grass cutting tool. Irons are not an issue.

Edit: just saw the posts on the first page, missed this before. Will incorporate these ideas.
    Last edited by akgolfnut; 08-21-2018, 10:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alpineberlinette
    replied
    Shawn in Altenstadt/Gemany, my home club, giving a golf clinic.

The main message is, better gardener.....better golfer.

So, get better cutting grass and dandelions, then your golf will go through the roof.

Leave a comment:

• Robsilly
    replied
    Thanks Ken! I plan on ordering the Mellhorn grass whip and will be spending a lot of time in the backyard slashing through the stem and ground et al of some white plastic golf balls.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Robie
    replied
    If I may add a little extra detail to your task picture that does not get expanded upon with any depth ( coming pun intended) Shawn always mentions that the task is not just cutting the dandelion out from underneath of the golf ball ( which appears to most golfers as a 2D task picture) but that the ball sits suspended above the ground (somewhat) by the grass itself. The actual path of the sole of the club is in fact a downward arc that does not finish it's descending motion until it passes in front of the ball. Hence ball, grass, ground,below ground then starts the accent back above the ground and grass. If your task picture does not include this, IMHO the sole of the club tends to be shallow resulting in very thin contact on the face of the club.

Leave a comment:

• Robsilly
    replied
    Thanks Alpine. You reminded me of one time flushing it at the range thinking of slashing through a watermelon and seeing the imaginary spray going over the intermediate target.

Leave a comment:

• Alpineberlinette
    replied
    I think, hitting at the ball is a well know problem.

The difference of the grass leave, it has an obvious vertical dimension.
    So, to cut this is a common task.
    And this task is definetely not hitting at, it‘s hitting through something.

When I misunderstood the idea of Shawn I saw the grass leave as an non defined object, like the ball, and voila, I hit at that.

Now I see the grass leave as a mini bamboo stick with an vertical dimension.

Second misunderstanding was about the head of the gold club. For me it was formerly a bigger piece of iron. Basically I still saw the clubface, not the sole.
    Now the club head is much more tiny, it’s only a small blade parallel to the ground, an ideal tool to cut small grass leaves.

Last not least, don‘t forget to interpret the task more detailed in order to let the leaves you cut off, fly over the intermediate target. This enhances the „through“ aspect.

Leave a comment:

• Robsilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpineberlinette View Post
    When Shawn showed me the idea to cut grass between ball and leading edge of the club I totally misunderstood and was trapped to hit AT THE GRASS.
    Once I understood to cut a dandilon, out of nothing the golf swing was a pretty easy..... task ..to do.

So, if you really stay with the shot and cut dandilons, it is nearly impossible to do the darn stuck behind, or to toss to the inside.
    Alpineberlinette, do you mind on expanding on this and what your misunderstanding was about and how you recognized and retrained your brain to the correct task?

I have a grass whip and unfortunately it has not clicked yet. I WANT my task to be cutting grass because I think that will be the easiest task for my brain to stay with on all or at least most shots in the golf course. I’m playing with doing what Shawn says focusing my eyes on the grass between the leading edge of the club and ball or in front of the ball. My contact is better when in front of the ball and I believe that is helping with a through task.

Thanks,
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• JMS546
    replied
    Got back to the range and focused on awareness of release, the feel of the PMD and staying on the task of delivering the release. Major, major improvement all around. Gone were the weak push fades, tops and chunks. Only miss-hits were due to obvious loss of focus and task. It didn't once cross my mind about where I was tossing the ACU or my posture/brace. It all fell into place when I focused on the feel of release and delivering it into a picture. Great stuff!

I think the major factor of this was finally recognizing the feel of release and crystallizing the idea of delivering that into the target. Now it is down to refining how I deliver that feel.

Leave a comment:

• Alpineberlinette
    replied
    My son has big issues to throw the arms around.
    We did the grass whip.
    Stripes of cutting grass parallel to the feet line, no problem.
    It was an eye opener for him.
    Is that the same path the arms and the clubhead follow in a normal golf swing? Oops, no.
    When Shawn showed me the idea to cut grass between ball and leading edge of the club I totally misunderstood and was trapped to hit AT THE GRASS.
    Once I understood to cut a dandilon, out of nothing the golf swing was a pretty easy..... task ..to do.

So, if you really stay with the shot and cut dandilons, it is nearly impossible to do the darn stuck behind, or to toss to the inside.

Like hammering a nail.
    There is only one reasonable plane to do it, and our brilliant brain has absolutely no issue to find it.

We do it everyday hundred times. Eliminate the short circuits , stay with the task and enjoy ridiculous easy golf.

Leave a comment:

• JMS546
    replied
    Was able to get to the range and practice these concepts. Here's the thing..sometimes what you think is a toss ain't a toss. What I was/am doing I realized is a manipulation to ensure I am getting the ACU "away". Unfortunately this realization did not occur until 90% of the way through my bucket of balls. So I got another bucket to chase this down the rabbit hole, my hands are a bit on the sore side to say the least. The thing that threw the light switch was that I really had a hard time getting the feeling of release towards the target. The only way I could get this was to go back to the PMD.

The thing is when I go to hit shots with the feel of the PMD it scares the living bajeezus out of me. The voice in my head screams its lungs out during the swing, "What are you doing?! There is no way you can hit the ball like that!". I know it's the whole lose control to gain control thing that is setting off these alarms in my head. But when everything comes together it's a thing of beauty, I hit one 7 iron dead straight and at least 20 yards further than I normally do.

The other scary thing I noticed is that when hitting shots with the feel of the PMD the ACU feels like it is really "under" me during the down swing and the mental alarm goes off again saying, "You are going to stick the club into the ground doing that!".

Leave a comment:

• Gary
    replied
    Hi Everyone,

if if you are having issues “Tossing” the ACU during your Takeaway what don’t you try “Placing” during the Takeaway.

Should You Place or Toss The Backswing: 6/6/2014
    http://youtu.be/vV-fWzcc9Vw

How To Stay With The Shot: 7/9/2014
    http://youtu.be/wSSd9h4yzDI

“Make sure you take the time to know that you are still getting ready to whip to the direction you want to start the ball in all 3 check points: takeaway, yes it feels like the weight of the ACU would cut grass in that direction if I let it fall...top of backswing: yes, as I get here, it feels like the ACU is loaded and ready to whip cut the grass in that direction (stay with draw and right side of intermediate point) then Downswing: feel that whipping cut through to the right of intermediate point with low strain and nice velocity. Make it a nice flat footed whipping cut!"(Shawn Clement)

First Blog Mile Markers: 12/18/2014
    http://youtu.be/GLfs4cym8Ng

TOSS VS PLACE: June 12, 2015
    http://youtu.be/O-nHsAhJaCE

Easy Way to March Backswing to Your Shot
    February 26, 2017
    https://youtu.be/pXhJv4cyvGA
    Last edited by Gary; 06-30-2018, 10:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X