Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right arm so dominant...

Hi guys,

I'm really struggling lately to create good contact.
    I analyse the problem is with my right hand wanting to hit the ball. I'm really right arm dominant... I'm a way that i wouldn't be able to hammer a nail with my left hand.
    Enclosed is me hitting pw.

I'm not able for the life of me to create shaft lean at impact and therefore a nice compression...
    What could help?

Hi Steka,

These are the things I noticed.

If you could open your feet just a little more so that you could get a little more hip turn.

Your left leg is not lifting, or rolling inward. Very little movement inward and therefore hardly any hip turn.

The lack of hip turn is causing you to have some arm crashing.

The crashing of the arms is causing you to release early and creating some chicken wing after impact.

I love how you are able to keep your left arm straight, how you are able to keep your head back and I can see your pause and weight shift.

I recommend a little more hip turn. I would start there and see if that will get you some lag in the downswing.

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

I think I would steer you into a little different perspective. My left shoulder is basically shot so I am predominately using my right hand. Any way I think if you will set up in a stronger impact position at address and focus on trying to get our hands back to that position at impact you will have better impact success at impact. And your right hand will not feel like it is flipping because it has stopped moving at the ball. Try and get the feeling of dragging the club head across the grass after impact to reinforce the hands ahead.

Comment

Hi Steka, Greetings WIG Friends..

I think Gary has already given you some good thoughts - I'm not sure what I can add to that..

I guess I'll try and offer a couple observations and some speculation - which you are free to consider

1. Takeaway - seems like you're working with the notion of an arms oriented/one piece/straight back takeaway ..maybe working hard on Arm Extension.

my speculation is that it's your right hand taking the club back ..which likely can set the stage for the right hand taking it back through..

I'll pile on the speculation and run with the guess that you're working hard at some kind of internal 'dialog' where you're literally talking yourself into alignment, shot choice, and then a setup checklist..

which leads to what I think is you getting stuck in a very left brained experience and boxing out your athletic skills...

I notice that you have pretty minimal hip rotation through the swing..which is not in and of itself bad ..but it seems to set you into a path of trying to generate torque and handspeed with a Right Hand Down kind of move..

which also shows in some darn good eye/hand coordination ..but unfortunately resulting in a pretty noticeable scoop on the ball where you're trying to go from holding an angle, getting speed, hitting down and then trying to get the ball to go UP..

I'm guessing that the Chairman would probably get you into some PMD and some FTD drills and see if you could get reconnected with those feels..

personally - I'd have you get the One Leg Drill going -- get the feels of a strike on the ball and your weight more forward and more of a pivot feel and action in the swing..

key concepts that you've moved away from in your swing..

hips turn as the turntable of the body..upper body riding and rotating ..

Arms hanging like 'wet towels' from the shoulder sockets..

it can help give you the 'deep anchored lag/whip' that you're looking for..

the good old effortless power thing will start showing up again like a long lost friend....

that's all I got for the moment -- I'm sure you'll get some good thoughts from the other members..I'll give it some more thought and contribute again depending on what else I come up with and what ends up in the the thread..

cheers for now

k_f
        from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
        tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Hi Steka:
          You've received some good advice, but I'd like to add that, IMHO your right hand is working UNDER your left because your left side has stopped rotating. You're also hanging back which forces you to hit UP on the shot as you would with a driver. Since you're using an iron you have to swing down and through the ball.
          One tip: as you are approaching impact position, try squeezing with your left fingers - this will cause your left wrist to bow -do it slowly until you get the feeling.
          You can also try hitting some chips with your left hand only. Make sure you continue to rotate your body through the shot. I've added some screen grabs from your video which show how your hands have flipped the club.

Bogie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	124
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	3278

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	3279

Comment

Thank you guys, this is amazing feedback.
            Bogies, it is exactly this picture that is bugging me about my swing. I have great power, great stability and am so interested in this game and passionate about everything i do, it really hurts my eyes to see i'm giving myself a hard time by not opening up the hips enough and not having a proper transition.
            Admittedly, what you see there is not my "WIG Swing". It is me trying to achieve what my pro told me, because i still find it hard to find support for the WIG method other than through shawn or this forum (which is excellent).

However! I have the same flaw with both swings. It is proof to me that both swing ideas basically work.
            My wig swing is a lot more powerful because i open up the hips more and by letting the club hinge my wrists i have some nice wrist angle.
            But with both swings i don't get my weight on the left foot enough and most importantly, i dont clear my hips enough.

I know Shawn references the throwing the club analogy lately and I've tried that as well. I can throw a club to a target no problem. But i just feel that by applying my right hand/arm i could do so much more. There is so much more feel, control and power in that right arm.
            What analogy could help to utilize that ?
            Is there really such a thing like pushing with the right hand and virtually muting the left hand ?

My pro says "the right hand is just along for the ride", but is there a vice versa for the left hand ?

Comment

Originally posted by steka View Post
              Bogies, it is exactly this picture that is bugging me about my swing. I have great power, great stability and am so interested in this game and passionate about everything i do, it really hurts my eyes to see i'm giving myself a hard time by not opening up the hips enough and not having a proper transition.
              Admittedly, what you see there is not my "WIG Swing". It is me trying to achieve what my pro told me, because i still find it hard to find support for the WIG method other than through shawn or this forum (which is excellent).

However! I have the same flaw with both swings. It is proof to me that both swing ideas basically work.
              My wig swing is a lot more powerful because i open up the hips more and by letting the club hinge my wrists i have some nice wrist angle.
              But with both swings i don't get my weight on the left foot enough and most importantly, i dont clear my hips enough.

I know Shawn references the throwing the club analogy lately and I've tried that as well. I can throw a club to a target no problem. But i just feel that by applying my right hand/arm i could do so much more. There is so much more feel, control and power in that right arm.
              Is there really such a thing like pushing with the right hand and virtually muting the left hand ?

My pro says "the right hand is just along for the ride", but is there a vice versa for the left hand ?
              Hi Steka

I've tried to Bold up the stuff that caught my attention and I'll try and just share my experience of out here at Crackpot National Golf & CC (est 2011) ..I'm cleaning my clubs after a season that challenged everything I thought that I thought..and have seemingly survived.it's a good time maybe to reflect a little and talk about it..

perhaps to simply give you a quick parallel - I came across this gentleman Mr. Levy - who sounds like he's from Down Under ..perhaps a Kiwi? -- who is applying some pretty advanced martial concepts into this talk ..with no more preamble - here's the video ..

I'll leave it to you and our other WIG friends to draw their own parallels between this martial demonstration and some familiar concepts from WIG..

the crossroads that Mr. Levy presents are the same ones that face you in your own way..

Strength vs. Relaxation
              Technique vs. Feeling
              Simply Turning vs. Trying to create

so in your question - is there an analogy that I could use to create a feeling of a Right Sided/Tense/Muscled swing - is a tough one to field..there are Right Sided Swings as Ken Robie have shared..but it's going to be a tough thing to consistently realize..

why?

because what feels like power - is in the tension between your various quadrants of your body..thereby almost completely obscuring your ability to recognize any feels of the tool that you're using..you literally are on your own at that point..in that gravity and its momentum are nearly thoroughly boxed out of your motion..

even then - it's not a case of all hope being lost - you can still build enough technique that you can create a movement pattern that will generate sufficient power that you can propel a golf ball..the challenge will be aiming it..

why?

insufficient bandwidth between your ears on a consistent basis -

and it's not just you - it's anybody who commits to that - look around on the range - people with that mindset are so engaged in the checklists and mechanics that they lose all sense of where the effort must go..

even then - you still will catch some of the shots just right and get them pretty close..but it's a very hard way to play..

anyway -

in order to have the clubhead accelerate - your body has to clear in a sequence that will allow the club to move freely on its own at some point in the swing..

that's often mysteriously described as 'release'..

you personally experience it when you're successfully able to throw a club..your body turns/syncs and with feels..launches the mass of the club away from you..

the movement pattern to a golf swing is more or less the same..but it will look a bit different when you're standing over it..the visual component is likely due to the fact that you're hinged and standing what feels like a bit sideways to the target..

right now - rotation ..pivot action is your friend..

you need to find out where the weight must be in order to find the acceleration and its resulting power in your golf swing..

does the sequence and movement pattern matter?

absolutely it does..

but in order to work strong RIGHT

you must then have a strongly anchored LEFT

try that in earnest and see what it shows you..

at least you'll have a frame of reference that you can start with to sort out your technical/technique choices from..

cheers

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
              tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Originally posted by steka View Post

Steka:

I've highlighted two sentences in your post that I'll address. Being right hand dominant (I am too) you feel that all your power comes from your right hand/arm. That's OK if you use your right side properly. At times, my right hand wants to instinctively take over (very evident on short chips and pitches for me). My right hand becomes active and I'll flip the club, so I have to fight the sensation. I do this by having very light pressure with my right hand, almost to the point of barely holding the club.

Secondly, pushing with the right hand and virtually muting the left hand: I feel that the lead hand (my left) steers the club face, and the trailing hand (my right) applies the power. But that power has to be applied properly.

I've added a picture of a "heel strike". Notice which part of the hand the girl is striking the man with? Do you think she could do as much damage if she "slapped" him? Take that sensation and apply it to your right hand - the wrist has to be bent back at impact. In your case, you are trying to strike the ball with your "fingers", much like a slap as opposed to the heel, which is more powerful.

And finally, if you find that you aren't getting your weight over onto your left side, try doing some one legged swings, with all of your weight on your left side and your right toe just barely touching the ground.

A number of years ago, I watched a video put out by another golf instructor who was a "flipper". I'm reluctant to post that here out of respect to Shawn, but if you PM me with your email address, I'll send you a copy. Please don't put your email address in a public post - you don't want some email bot mining that information.

BogieClick image for larger version

Name:	palmheel.png
Views:	126
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	3287

Comment

Originally posted by BogiesRBad View Post

I've added a picture of a "heel strike". Notice which part of the hand the girl is striking the man with? Do you think she could do as much damage if she "slapped" him? Take that sensation and apply it to your right hand - the wrist has to be bent back at impact. In your case, you are trying to strike the ball with your "fingers", much like a slap as opposed to the heel, which is more powerful.

Bogie[ATTACH=CONFIG]n3287[/ATTACH]
                  Wow, this is something! Great input and immediately creates a feeling in my head without even swinging the club. Can't wait to get on the range next days and try to figure out if it transfers to reality.

And Cally, i really feel what you're saying, because for me to have my power source just riding along is not the correct feel.
                  I also putt this way, my right hand guides the putter and the left is just on the grip to give it less freedom to move about.

Comment

Very cool thread you guys! I have a new video coming out soon on the Premium channel and in a couple weeks on the regular channel on how to use a "fitness rope" which is a modified nautical large gauge rope to feel not only how to retract properly with a full leg and hip turn in the backswing, but also feel how BOTH sides of the body are used to "heave-fling" it to the target. It not only gave me back the one club distance that was missing since my weight loss, it took my right side much more out of the shot where I have been feeling some muscle soreness the last couple years since the weight loss as well. For me, a real game changer and I can't wait for you to see it! Shawn

Comment

You lost a club's length on your shots ? Sorry, Shawn, but here at WIG we don't deal with short hitters...

Honestly, the video you uploaded yesterday with a swing analysis of Jens' swing was a short cut to WIG for me. Pure gold for everyone suffering from the same swing flaw(s)

Comment

Thanks Steka! Appreciate the ribbing! . Hey, this 50 year old body has gone through some changes in the last 2 years and we are just starting to get the hang of it, 2016 will be epic!

Comment

kid_fullerene - I LOVE your intro preambles! And to the OP - definitely watch Jen's swing analysis - it's fully wigged out in just a few minutes!

I started playing by taking lessons at a local course (gonna plug them cuz it's a really cool course! http://www.fossiltrace.com - go look!) and that got the wheels turning but it's been WIG that has made me feel like a golfer. Do PMD and OLD a few times a day and take the ball out of the equation, just concentrate on cutting the grass both ways, nice and wide, and let your body do the rest - that'll become your swing and then you can move on to shaping your shots - and I know that it's the constant "doing" that makes it all work because I have not been drilling recently and my game shows it...

Comment

the rope looks a little heavy - am going to pass on THAT drill...

Comment

The good part about the rope is you can use the intensity that you want; it is not too bad actually!

Comment

Working...
                              X