Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a page from the Book of 'The Dude'

Hi WIG friends..

I visit often - try to keep up with the thinking, and in spite of what has been an amazingly wet Spring - been working hard on my swing. Finally, I think that's the operative word, 'finally' have some experiences and realizations that might be worth a mention...

I'm confident that it is indeed ripped from the pages of the book of the 'Dude' - and in particular from the Chapter ..'Doing vs. Not Doing' ..and a bit of an 'assist' from the Chairman himself, pulled from his video(s) ..'the club swings its own arc'.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective ..

Does a would be striker of the ball try to get the club and its resulting swing to a place where one can get an action together?

or does that very same WBSotB finally observe the path that the clubhead (and the attached handle) would take if it simply fell and work in support of that independent action?

I've spent more than my true share of bringing the club in to me and then working it back out..

One Day ..and it was not particularly long ago (first spotted last year - and then brought back this year, this time with a bit of understanding)

that I could let go enough to see the actual 'gravitational' or 'free and independent' swing plane ..and began to finally sort anatomy (grip, setup stance posture) out in a way that would support THAT plane ..instead of 'mine'..

Ego, misunderstanding, comprehension, battles of language, nuance, athletic ability..

seems like this game has more than a few bits to teach me - but this might be my favorite 'illusion' ..is that it looks a bit like somebody in the center of that 'swing action' is 'doing something' and in a sense ..they are..

they're working in full and complete support (or at least as much as they can potentially incorporate) of an action that is independent of them that is occurring at the 'edge' and we as WBSotB merely attach ourselves to.

Doing Something vs. Doing Nothing ..indeed..

pretty sure I've spotted a genuine, 'gravity issued' (and therefore compliant) swing plane....

not sure what an 'unwise fool' and WBSotB will do with this flash of wisdom..

but I'm confident I'll find something.

I guess the trick I might be learning is that 'let it fall/let it fall' 'resulting plane' is the thing that's aimed ..vs. aiming oneself and then trying to get a 'let it fall' going.

again, it's a neat trick....and it might not even be 'THE' trick.

but I'm pretty sure it's one that you'll need on the way to 'THE' trick..

so from the pages of the BotD (Book of the Dude)

I'm fairly confident I have the 'do nothing' thing at least identified....

it's also likely that an unworthy vessel such as myself is thoroughly unsuited for such potential Wisdom..but I guess I'll have to live with it.

hope your days are sunny and the shots you strike are 'far and sure'..

mine are starting to be.

cheers for now

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Thanks, kid.....
    Nice to be memorialized in such an eloquent fashion?
    I sure hope that you have the REST of the chapters of that book?
    MY copy went missing at the same time that the OLD Forum went missing.....
    ...go figure?

dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hi guys,

Just as a point of amplification.... I DO kind of perceive a WHEEL "in motion" when I visualize my upcoming shot? (picture a Roulette-wheel on a TILT?)
      Only MY wheel goes back and forth rather than continuing "around"...
      All I need to do is "step into it" and JOIN the DANCE?
      No need to "direct" it....
      No need to "steer" it...
      It is already heading in the direction that it needs to go.
      I can see it from here? (I'm in my office, at home in my underwear....)
      All the circle needs is a dance-partner; one that FOLLOWS; not one that insists on LEADING?

I like where you're heading with this, kid.....

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
        Thanks, kid.....
        Nice to be memorialized in such an eloquent fashion?
        I sure hope that you have the REST of the chapters of that book?
        MY copy went missing at the same time that the OLD Forum went missing.....
        ...go figure?

dude abides
        Hi Dude - Aloha WIG Friends Near and Far.

I would almost be willing to share my dog-eared, tattered, thoroughly annotated and well-read copy with you ..it's a 2nd Edition Trade Paperback (Simon & Schuster) that you thoughtfully signed for me (in spite of it being a paperback, and not the 1st Edition Hardcover that was at Barnes & Noble)

For now - I'll share another of my favorite Chapters..at least the title for now..

'Leap of Faith' ..

it's a classic piece on having to go where you would otherwise refuse to in a search for golfing truth .

if the pursuit of conventional golf information is like a tower ..and you finally climb to the top, having searched diligently all the way up and having not found the answers..where else can one go?

sometimes the test of gravity is all the remains..

answers might follow - but so often it's all about the questions that arise in that leap.

these and other insights are in the 'BotD' ..

cheers for now

k_f
        tu nunquam hic

Comment

An aha moment on momentum. The MoMo! Click image for larger version  Name:	GripmasterNippon125.jpg Views:	3 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	9305Click image for larger version  Name:	727Mhead.jpg Views:	2 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	9306

My personal "unearthing" of discovery on the topic of the big wheel of momentum relates to setup following practice swings and/or PMDs.

I don't feel I've ever steered the ACU, in fact it has always been quite loosey-goosey and uninhibited. Where I get a short circuit has been observing the blur of the club as it cuts grass to the side of the ball, then proceeding to over step, err invade the space of the ball sitting there, and then try to restart that big wheel again thru said ball.

I think this season I'm getting better at judging that line in the grass, and I hope to not be stepping over as far .

This previous crowding the ball results in many bottom of the blade shots. The big wheel of mo should be further away from me, but when that has been done wrong with a ball now closer to me - the results are many shots off the bottom of the face which go in the direction I intended but far lower.

Irons: 5-PW Standard L/L/L Honma 727M with Nippon Modus 125R & Gripmaster Pittard's perforated leather wraps. Silky smooth setup!
          I "fit" the standard for mankind at 5'10, 145lbs with a 34.5 WTF. Watch the Yen to $, order when in my favor!

Rakuten Global Market: Golf - Sports & Outdoors
          Last edited by avguy; 06-12-2017, 12:48 AM.
          Wiggle....
          Waggle....
          Wobble....

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
            Hi guys,

Just as a point of amplification.... I DO kind of perceive a WHEEL "in motion" when I visualize my upcoming shot? (picture a Roulette-wheel on a TILT?)
            Only MY wheel goes back and forth rather than continuing "around"...

All I need to do is "step into it" and JOIN the DANCE?
            No need to "direct" it....
            No need to "steer" it...
            It is already heading in the direction that it needs to go.
            I can see it from here? (I'm in my office, at home in my underwear....)
            All the circle needs is a dance-partner; one that FOLLOWS; not one that insists on LEADING?

I like where you're heading with this, kid.....

dude abides
            Hi Dude

Aloha WIG Friends throughout the known Universe -

this seemingly 'small step for k_f' is a bigger pivot than I realized..

but Dude has thrown a few sentences at this that are more than worth your consideration ..

please let me pose a couple of 'thought questions' for you ..

1. How do you see a relationship between target and swing? I can't say that I'm 'refound and reformed' but my perceptions have changed and it's allowing me to put this together in a more coherent and coordinated way..it's not that no one never tried to explain it ..but my filter was set for 'hit'.. swing is different..

2. consider what the Chairman offers up as 'ball focused' vs. 'to the target' ..AV and Dude both talk about 'wheels in motion' ..is action to target its own thing? and is that in fact, a resulting plane?

so if the 'wheel' is doing ..what do you as a golfer need to be doing?

do you just 'get out of the wheel's way' ..or can you also assist the momentum?

what does THAT look like - in grip, in setup, in resulting action to target?

like any 'apparent breakthrough' ..this had a lot of 'little break towards' and plenty of blind alleys and misunderstandings..and I probably haven't sorted them all ..but I think that I'm at and through the door that is leading to a better understanding of what is being demonstrated by the Chairman ..

doing vs. not doing ..

seems easy enough ..

but the 'not doing' paradigm took a bit of 'doing' for me to see in a way that I could be congruent with..

the last thought for now ..is that my path into this really began by understanding the notions of 'release' ..once I found myself there ..I could work backwards into trying to grasp the other bits...

cheers for now

k_f
            tu nunquam hic

Comment

My interpretation of the chairmans philosophy:
              1) Letting the club swing through it's arc in the PMD shows you the gravity only path.
              2) Align this path so that if you let go of the club, it goes towards the target.
              3) Adding power requires you to assist gravity. Gravity alone can't propel the ball to the target, unless it is a short chip.
              4) Any assistance you provide must swing the club in the same path that gravity would choose. Anything else is fighting against gravity, a manipulation.
              5) Adding in power can't be allowed to disturb the ACU center or your body's center of gravity. Doing so changes the arc and steals power.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hi guys,

I find VERY little to argue here?
                Yeah, I might quibble over a semantic here or there, or nit-pick over an interpretation or presumption.....

But? I find mwittie's "reducing" the basics quite accurate? (my wife; aka "...the most wonderful woman in the world..." is an avid cooking-show fanatic?)

I think of it this way:

For any golf-shot opportunity there are INNUMERABLE potential trajectories that are available to us...

For EACH of those available trajectories there is ONE, and ONLY one swing-"circle" that will create that trajectory....

Our job is to FIND it. One cannot FIND something unless and until one SEEKS it....

That Circle is already there.....always has been? always will be....

nothing that needs to be "created"....

There is a level of "assistance" that may be helpful; beyond which we are barking up the wrong tree....

There is a reason for the saying "... the dog's BARK is WORSE than his BITE?"

Find the Circle....

It is out there trying to find YOU as well....

be water, my friends

dude abides
                Last edited by COSTA103; 09-18-2017, 11:05 AM.

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

Glad to see the Book of the Dude reinvigorated..

it's a great read ..and like all things 'Dude' it has its own special place in the great Pantheon of Golf Thinking.

I would also offer this in terms of the 'Circle'..

the Chairman speaks directly of the Fundamental of the Grip..and in particular the 'Anatomical Snuff Boxes' ..that hinge in one very specific way..

which way is it?

why is it just that way and no other?

why must the grip be airtight within that specific context?

is there a fall of the Arm Club Unit and then perhaps a sort of 'hammering fall' of the clubhead itself?

if Gravity knows down only -

where and how is 'more down'?

somewhere in the Book of the Dude..in some of those lost pages..there is an answer..

and it's one that literary Golf Scholars of the Crackpot Variety are searching the world for..

it's a bit like the DaVinci Code..only more 'golfy'

well..I'm off to Carnoustie to find the 2nd clue .. it's said to be a puzzle carved into the stonework of the Simpsons Golf Shop..

cheers

k_f
                  tu nunquam hic

Comment

Expounding upon my interpretation.
                    1) The path of the club head is an arc resulting from a throw (skipping a stone, tossing a sandbag, battering ram, swinging a golf club, etc.).
                    2) In an underhanded, two armed throw, the arms go up and down, and the torso turns.
                    3) Because you are swinging a weight, gravity acts on the path the weight takes.
                    4) Because your torso is turning, centrifugal force acts on the path the weight takes (more so with the longer clubs).

So when the chairman says let it drop, it doesn't mean back swing to the top and let the club fall and hit your trail hip. You are throwing the club, and that means you have to turn your body as the club drops. I interpret "let it drop" to mean allow the club to start down naturally as you would in tossing a ball underhanded. Then you can smoothly accelerate. It means don't snatch the club down in an effort to increase power.

Comment

ummmmmmm......

Not a whole lot to argue with HERE, either?

I think I LIKE this new guy?!?!

Look forward to your NEXT "expounding"...

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm sure I've posted this Bagger Vance clip before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGthroXgjs8

Pay particular attention from 2:00 to 3:00....

Good stuff.

Rest of the clip is good too!

Enjoy

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Ken Robie
                          Ken Robie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This clip elicits such a strong reaction in my golfing soul that it is hard to decipher whether it is my hearts longing to reach the pinnacle of "my" golfing potential or the ultimate hormonal high from which the game was intended to evoke in us???
                      Working...
                      X