Divot visual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divot visual

Greetings to all. Relatively knew to WIG but have found it rewarding for my golf game. Not enough rounds played to verify statistically but I saved at least 3/4 off my previous scores. My query is about taking a divot. I do not take a divot and have not even before WIG. I like the image of cutting that stem for my swing but when I think of that grass cutting activity, the bottom of the arc cuts the stem but then continues up and does not descend down to cut the ground for a divot. Is there a different image for practicing the swing and then another, more downward, for when you are ready to strike the ball? Also is taking a divot necessary?

Originally posted by RobertSki View Post
    Greetings to all. Relatively knew to WIG but have found it rewarding for my golf game. Not enough rounds played to verify statistically but I saved at least 3/4 off my previous scores. My query is about taking a divot. I do not take a divot and have not even before WIG. I like the image of cutting that stem for my swing but when I think of that grass cutting activity, the bottom of the arc cuts the stem but then continues up and does not descend down to cut the ground for a divot. Is there a different image for practicing the swing and then another, more downward, for when you are ready to strike the ball? Also is taking a divot necessary?
    Hi Robert,

To answer your last question first, taking a divot isn't necessary in all cases as there are some very good players who don't take a divot or at least not much of one.

That said, as far as your question regarding a "divot visual," Shawn has described this visual as a 3 dimensional divot consisting of Ball; Grass; and Ground. So for shots struck off of the turf with a descending angle of attack, the ball is contacted first, then the sole of the club cuts through the grass, followed by the ground as the clubhead passes through the low point of the swing. This 3 dimensional divot is a very different visual than just seeing a ball and flat ground.

I'll post a couple Shawn videos where he explains this 3 dimensional divot visual.

First, this whole video is helpful, but the relevant part of the divot visual starts at the 4:00 mark . . .

And here's another good one to watch in its entirety with the relevant part of the divot visual starting at the 3:15 mark . . .

Shawn has more videos on taking divots that I can post for you if you want, but these two are a good staring place to get the right idea of what you want to see for a divot visual.

Beyond this 3 dimensional divot visual also keep in mind things like a secure grip, proper weight shift, lag, and release . . . all of which contribute to ball first contact followed by the divot (for shots struck off of the turf).

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hi RS

so glad to see you on the WIG Forum - welcome to the boards and hope to see more of your thinking around here!

to divot or not to divot .. that being the question..

not every golfer takes one, not every shot requires one, not every swing will produce one...

but let's step back and think about what it might represent.

to me, and opinions may vary on this... but a divot will appear on the target side of the ball -- and it represents the true low point of the swing arc.

so if you're describing a swing arc that cuts and works UP .. you potentially have a swing action that is either picking, sweeping or working a bit 'at' the ball vs. an action that is compressing the ball..

there are some good videos that more fully explain this concept .. but what I'd have you try and do is get a firm sense of where the target is.. and put an intermediate target that you can remain aimed at through your swing..

and in addition to that - you can use a small coin or 2nd item that you can put a few inches in front of your golf ball and try to collect both the ball and the object through your swing.. it might help you get an 'aha' or sense of what that 'feel' of 'staying down' might be.

if you're playing pretty consistently right now (and it sounds like you are!) and able to predict your action, ball flight, carries and shots .. this kind of 'hitting down' and swing work is best left for the off season.. you can and will 'change your whole game' and while the long term might be good.. the short term might well cost you a lot of fun during this season..

hope this is of some help..

good luck in your journey

cheers for now

k_f
      from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
      tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Cally & KF thanks very much for the input. The videos are helping. I just wasn't clear on the divot idea. I have the "grass cutting tool" recommended by Shawn and when I swing that I just imagine cutting that stem and do not hit down into the ground just an arc swing which at the low point cuts the stem and them arcs up without any ground contact. So when I see videos with divots being taken I was a bit confused. Your input is helping.

Comment

Working...
        X