Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Side at Impact

Hi guys,

Is it ideal that the lead shoulder is in line with the ball at impact or maybe even a little behind the ball at impact?

I know we aren't supposed to think about body parts during the swing, but yesterday at the range I concentrated on feeling that my lead shoulder was staying behind the ball as I came into impact and this was working very well. The feeling was that I was staying behind the hit so to speak with my lead side.

And with the driver especially, it felt like the outer part of my lead shoulder and the lead arm and the clubshaft were in line with the ball when I made contact. With this lead side behind the hit feeling I was getting solid contact in the center of the clubface, and hitting some nice draws between 280 - 290 total distance.

Hi Cally

I usually do perpetual swings and make a judgement of where the ball needs to be in my clubface trajectory. Normally , its nearer my lead shoulder joint but I've never really referenced exactly where (ie, whether in front or behind the ball). Actually , I'd find it difficult to see exactly how the ball is lined up compared to my 'dynamic lead shoulder joint' position in space unless someone was taking a face on image of me at impact.

But here is a trace of the Tiger lead shoulder joint (his old swing when he had most success).

I think the red dot is his sternum notch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LowPointWoodsTwo.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	12793

Apparently there is a strong correlation between the lead shoulder path and the hand path.
    • The less curved path of the lead shoulder corresponds with the less curved path of the hands in the early downswing .
    • The more curved path of the shoulder corresponds with 'release'

Not sure whether this will help you in any way.

Comment

• Cally
      Cally commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Schrodinger!

This picture you posted is a great representation of what I felt like at impact with the driver. From the outside edge of the lead shoulder to the ball is pretty close to a straight line and the outside edge of the lead shoulder does not get in front of that line coming into impact. If anything it moves back and away from that line. In the backswing my lead shoulder moves to my chin and in the downswing my lead shoulder moves away from my chin and then it moves up and back behind me, not going past that imaginary straight line from the shoulder down to the ball. Until now I always thought in terms of keeping my head behind the ball. But for me this is a feeling of keeping the entire lead side behind the ball all the way through impact.

This all started to develop a couple weeks ago after Gmonkey was talking about the backhand tennis, and I posted a couple videos for him about the lead side. I started experimenting with the lead side feel. Until now I've always felt I was right side dominant, but this feeling is definitely a lead side dominant feel. I believe it would fit with Shawn's hammer into doorframe idea if using a hammer in the lead hand.

Hopefully this makes sense. I just know the feeling of the lead side staying behind the hit works for me.

• Cally
      Cally commented
      Editing a comment
      FWIW, since yesterday I've been looking for some videos on this lead side feeling that I was trying to describe and I found some videos that Shawn did which definitely confirm the lead side staying behind the hit feeling. In fact, he even uses the same terminology of "staying behind the hit" with the lead side. Maybe I heard Shawn say this in the past and I forgot where I heard it . . . he has so many videos now it's hard to keep up with all of them.

And I also found some videos by Bobby Lopez that address this very same idea of the lead shoulder "staying behind the hit" so to speak where he talks about the lead shoulder not getting in front of the imaginary line between the lead shoulder and the ball . . . he calls it "offsides" if the lead shoulder moves in front of this imaginary line.

Again, the picture Schrodinger posted above is a great example of this where the lead shoulder is in line with, or even a little behind, the golf ball at impact. This is staying behind the hit!

BTW, just an observation about this forum. With the exception of Schrodinger, Kid, and a couple others, this forum seems to have gone down the tubes with the lack of participation. I'm sure there are a number of reasons for this, but this forum just isn't what it was back in the "Happyroman" days!

Originally posted by Cally View Post
    FWIW, since yesterday I've been looking for some videos on this lead side feeling that I was trying to describe and I found some videos that Shawn did which definitely confirm the lead side staying behind the hit feeling. In fact, he even uses the same terminology of "staying behind the hit" with the lead side. Maybe I heard Shawn say this in the past and I forgot where I heard it . . . he has so many videos now it's hard to keep up with all of them.

And I also found some videos by Bobby Lopez that address this very same idea of the lead shoulder "staying behind the hit" so to speak where he talks about the lead shoulder not getting in front of the imaginary line between the lead shoulder and the ball . . . he calls it "offsides" if the lead shoulder moves in front of this imaginary line.

Again, the picture Schrodinger posted above is a great example of this where the lead shoulder is in line with, or even a little behind, the golf ball at impact. This is staying behind the hit!

BTW, just an observation about this forum. With the exception of Schrodinger, Kid, and a couple others, this forum seems to have gone down the tubes with the lack of participation. I'm sure there are a number of reasons for this, but this forum just isn't what it was back in the "Happyroman" days!
    Hi Cally

glad to hear of your progress with Driver - and I agree that Schrodinger's visualization of this is a great help in moving it all forward.

I had started to try and put together some ideas about how to approach it .. but I think the crux of getting your observation and progress together was validating out what you had discovered over the 'bigger picture' stuff, so I'm glad that I didn't lead the charge into the 'golf weeds' .. where I often play from..

More importantly - you as an advanced player looking to get better, continues to learn and to share ..which is at this heart of this community.

So much of the progress I've made over the years has been driven by the friendships and observations of the WIG forum and I try to continue to 'pay back' in day to day support.

I agree with you that in order for this little place to flourish - we need to follow your lead and share what we're working on. WIG is more than a 'swing method' it continues to be a philosophy of learning and focus to create a dynamic where we can enjoy getting better together.

I see plenty of visitors to the forum - I 2nd your call to action - please participate and share.. this great game is always evolving, there are plenty of new technologies, new ideas and history to talk about.

I'll try and do more as well - over and above supporting my fellow WIG forum friends.

cheers for now

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

• Cally
      Cally commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Kid,

While I don't feel that I fit into the advanced player category by any means, I appreciate your kind words. I feel that I'm still very much trying to figure out the golf swing, but this lead side feel I discovered felt like a difference maker for me.

As far as the forum participation, I wasn't referring to any one person, and certainly not you as the one who has participated on this forum more than anyone with 726 post, not to mention all the comments, as well as your over 3000 posts on the old forum. It's really more of just an overall feel within the last couple years . . . this forum feels more like an abandoned town in the American West with the occasional visitor, but mostly just tumbleweeds blowing through.

As far at those stats that we see at the bottom of the forum page, I think those are completely erroneous. There's no way there are that many guests online at any given time. I suspect if anything those are automated spammers trying to post a spam message on the forum.

As a side caveat (I don't know what that word means Kid! ;>) ), We must remember that the lead shoulder is actually moving up and away from the ball as it relates to the target line. So any feeling or visual representation of it passing the ball in a vertical orientation will reduce the maximum launch angle if the ACU is fully extende.

Comment

Working...
    X