Taking Divot's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Divot's

I need some help guy's as I am confused about how the correct position of ground contact or the divot is achieved on draw and fade shot's. For the PMD, the arc of the swing is symetrical about the mid point of the stance and for a straight shot with no spin, the sole will hit the grond just under the ball towards the front and continue going deeper as it goes forwads. Now for a draw and a fade, we position the ball back and forwards of centre respectively. Can you clarify what change to set up must take place to ensure ground contact in the same position with respect to the ball as for a draw the club would still be descending when it contacted the ball and for a fade it would be ascending with a symetrical arc. What is the change that must take place to ensure correct ball/ground contact for these shot's and how is it accomplished - the only thing I see is changing the club path from symetrical to inside out for a draw and ouside in for a fade. Apologies if I appear to be labouring these fundamental's but this is a big one for me as I tend now to see shot's only as draw and fade shapes and rarely straight so need to get my brain straight.

Dave just so we are clear you want a descending blow for both the draw and the fade unless you are playing a driver set up. Even the pitch shot is descending where the club face grabs the ball for a moment then releases it up the face as it starts to spin. Now we are talking normally only a ball width forward or back in the stance set up. Extreme shots, low and high will take a lot more divot or a lot less depending on your intentions.

Comment

Ken, yes I understand the requirement for the blow to be descending (except driver) but I don't understand how this is achieved for draw and fade. My only explanation is the the swing path is changed from that for a PMD - Is this why for instance Shawn say's 'get behind the ball' and for a draw, this will close the shoulder's to swing to a new target to the right whilst the feet aim to the final target? This will change the position of the divot compared with a divot for a shot straight if that makes sense.

Comment

• Ken Robie
        Ken Robie commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeVBB7h9rgI
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TadSQVU_FMw
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKVxL_NUuKw

Dave have a look at these videos. In the first video notice how Shawn's club path stays on the arc no matter where the ball is placed for draw or fade!
        The size and shape of the arc will be different depending on the person's traits and the length of club used, however every divot will Start at some point on the arc (in general) and for a right handed golfer the divot will move left of the start position. So the movement of the divot will be the same for a straight shot as well as the draw and fade.
        Your PMD is generally done by simulating a straight shot set up. You can in fact do a PMD for a draw or a fade in relation to the arc used in the first video with the stance set up that Shawn demonstrates in that video. Hope that helps a bit.

OK Ken, thank's for that, I think the penny has dropped now. In the second video around 1:50, Shawn show's the swing path for the draw which is to the right of the final target line and then for the fade which is to the left of the target line. Neither of these two swing arc's is the same direction as the PMD swing arc indicated by the template in front of him - draw path is to the right and fade path to the left. So, the thought that you just alter the ball position and swing on the basic PMD arc path is incorrect - the only way the low point of the swing arc can be in the correct place relative to the ball is to make a correction with the swing path. You can see this 12 seconds in for the draw when Shawn turn's the pevis and shoulder's to 'get behind the ball' and this brings the lowpoint of the new arc into the right position.

Comment

Perception is an interesting topic isn't it!!!! ;>)

Comment

Dave just so we are clear you want a descending blow for both the draw and the fade unless you are playing a driver set up. Even the pitch shot is descending where the club face grabs the ball for a moment then releases it up the face as it starts to spin. Now we are talking normally only a ball width forward or back in the stance set up. Extreme shots, low and high will take a lot more divot or a lot less depending on your intentions.

Comment

Working...
          X