Rough with Long Irons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough with Long Irons

Hey team. I need help with getting out of the rough with my longer clubs. Anything longer than an 8 iron and I get all out of whack. I"m not sure if it's mental or what but I can't get good contact in that scenario. The ball doesn't even have to be completely buried either.

I am OK with my hybrid, but if I am trying to get on the green with a 6 iron for example from the rough, forget about it. Should I be making an adjustment with my set-up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi guys,

In my experience and opinion, the thing about playing out of the rough is that the LIE dictates what club you CAN use, rather than YOU trying to dictate what club you feel you NEED to use?
    Sometimes its largely a matter of LOFT?

The launch angle of the club you choose MUST be enough for the ball to get UP OUT of the grass.
    If you don't play enough loft, the ball just won't get out of the grass and you'll be faced with a similar shot for your NEXT one....

I'm reminded of a story attributed to Jack Nicklaus while playing in a Pro-Am...
    Mr. Nicklaus was faced with a +/- 200 yard shot, over water out of the rough...
    The resulting conversation went something like this:

Nicklaus (to caddie): "Give me my wedge....I'm laying up."

Amateur: "But Mr. Nicklaus, the shot is only 200 yards? Surely you can hit the ball 200 yards?"

Nicklaus: "That's the difference between me and you... Out of this lie, I KNOW that what you're suggesting is impossible..."

My apologies.....I realize that this is not what you want to hear....

be water, my friends
    dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Originally posted by drewfus View Post
      Hey team. I need help with getting out of the rough with my longer clubs. Anything longer than an 8 iron and I get all out of whack. I"m not sure if it's mental or what but I can't get good contact in that scenario. The ball doesn't even have to be completely buried either.

I am OK with my hybrid, but if I am trying to get on the green with a 6 iron for example from the rough, forget about it. Should I be making an adjustment with my set-up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
      Hi guys,
      Hi drewfus,

I can't give any better advice than the Dude just gave you, but I can offer a good Shawn video on this . . .

Just like the Dude wisely suggested, "the LIE dictates what club you CAN use." On the example you mentioned, I'd say a 6 iron out of deep rough is pretty much, if not always, out of the question, e.g. a typical 6 iron will give you about 16 degrees launch angle which wouldn't be favorable to getting you up and out of deep rough. The hybrid you mentioned on the other hand is easier to glide through the rough. All things considered though, I think you're better off following the Dude's advice.

Comment

No, I appreciate the info. I know exactly what you guys mean. Thanks for the help and video.

Comment

I will throw one tid bit of wisdom garnered from a lot of trial and error on this subject. Treat the club selection like you would for a steep down hill lie to the green. The horizontal distance from the down hill fairway may be "x" distance, but if you use your normal club for that distance the club will be delofted so severely from the down hill angle the ball will rocket past the green. NOW USE THAT SAME THOUGHT HERE IN THE ROUGH!! If your normal club is say the 6 iron, taking the9 iron for example will give you the 6 iron loft, WHEN you play the ball off your back footish and use a very steep attack angle. This will deloft the 9 iron and the steeper attack angle will leave you with less grass to contend with. The ball will come out lower but also hotter and straighter, giving you maximum total distance. Probably to tuff to carry a hazard but work with what you can. Also if you have never tried to take a 5 wood or lower lofted wood and strike almost straight down on the back of the ball, you're missing out on a tremendous get out of jail method. ;>)

Comment

Working...
          X