Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why "don't move your eyes"

Good basic wisdom:

This reminds me of the myriad of putting videos I've seen in which we are encouraged to concentrate on the point of impact and or possibly a secondary target in order to keep ones self from last second manipulation.
    I would try to do this before , but without other Wig tools I would miss so many fairways that I got into the habit of turning so I knew where it went.
    I had seen still shots of Tiger with his head turned back well after impact, but stills are deceptive. Wig encourages us to let the back shoulder to carry the head around as we follow through. That's the same thing I see in SLO MO's of tigers swing.

Last edited by papahajek; 06-08-2015, 12:17 PM.

So much wisdom! And coming at us faster than we can take it all in. Thankfully, Shawn has made videos for us to review over and over again. Very wise man, that Shawn (and Matt). Thank you!

Comment

I find it hard to keep the eyes focused at a single point, unless I am properly set up with the brace tilt. For some reason the brace tilt (with the head behind the ball) really helps me to keep the head steady and the eyes focused.

Comment

Guys, just had a lesson with Shawn in Louisville yesterday. One of my big errors he saw was me moving my eyes during the swing. When you do that your brain cannot execute the original task that you wanted to do with your shot. Its as he said, the tree cutter taking his eye off the spot where he wants the axe to cut! Once I realized what I was doing and stopped the moving eyes and focusing on the tee (for drives) and cutting the grass under the ball (irons) my shots were on target for draws and fades. Lesson learned: Keep eyes focused on one spot!

Comment

Basically , eyes moving short circuits your kinetic chain (which is something we can do naturally like skipping a stone) and when that happens , you are 'toast'.

Comment

I have had problems for a long time with my eyes. I am right eye dominant and swing right handed, and there's always been a point very late in my backswing where my nose blocks the ball from sight with my right eye and my left eye takes over. It caused so many problems because then the position of the ball appeared to change. I figured out something that helped me tremendously with this.

At address, I turn my head to the right enough to where I can't see the ball at all with my right eye. I use my nose to take my dominant eye off the ball completely. Keeping one eye on the ball throughout the whole swing made worlds of difference. The apparent position of the ball doesn't change and I can really concentrate on getting my swing path through the ball. I don't know if others have tried this or not, but its made a difference in my ball striking.

Comment

Sounds interesting.
              Will make a test next weekend, will close my right eye, during hitting a ball.

Comment

yes you guys, good stuff; but remember the reason for keeping the eyes in one place is to have a proper reference for the brain as it stays focused on the task of releasing through to a specific direction and can predict that the stem of that dandelion or tee tip is in the way of this action; to move the eyes into the backswing would unplug the whole shot.

Comment

We have helped so many this winter season with this issue of the eyes moving; one of the ways we have done this is by performing a practice swing above the ball with the eyes staying on the top of the ball and just observing the blur of the club pass over the ball and seeing if it matches the direction of the intended initial flight of the ball in relation to the intermediate point which is just 6 to 12 inches in front of the ball; if the eyes move into the backswing, the intermediate point is lost from peripheral vision and the focus unplugs from the task.
                  Once aware that everything matches, we lower the club to the ground, set the eyes on the grass behind the ball and look for the blur od the club head to go in the same direction as the practice swing; this has been super for those with moving eyes; you have to have a reference to know if you are on task!

Comment

Shawn just a quick thought but how many great players have head movement of the ball thereby bringing their eye focus with it? Jack comes to mind for one, not a lot of movement but still there, and then Anaka on the way through.

Comment

Last round I developed a headache when I moved my eyeballs and mainly had to keep my eyes "centered"
                      I had my best putting and short game round but just could not drive or swing well from the tee.

Thinking back now when I swing well my eyeball moves naturally to scan my surroundings I think it's call saccade eye movements. I agree with the thread about not looking back in locate the club but I feel that my eyes will move laterally towards the IT and actual target in the forward swing and often how quickly my eyes move laterally dictate how quick my swing will be

This got me thinking why some days I try to "quiet" my eye when I putt and I seem to putt best when my eye is momentarily still immediately after I stroke the ball

Comment

Here is some research on the quiet eye. Discusses basketball, golf and hockey shooting skills. Excellent information about how and why quiet eye works. Shoemaker in his book about putting also discusses how to do the quiet eye for putting. It enables the mind to only focus on information needed to complete the task. Sounds familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGjwkJwXCGc

Last edited by Ron I; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Added another video.

Comment

My putting had turned bad lately as my eyes seems to have free reins to move all over. This "freedom of eye scanning" seem to be congruent with having a good long game but for some reason my I can't "quiet " my eye when I'm on the green
                          I know when I playing precise shots around and on the green I tend to do my "looking" early in my routine then have the shot pictured in my mind
                          This prevents my eye from "wandering " like in the quiet eye video A lot of this "quietness " is a result of confidence and contentment that I read the green/putt correctly

Comment

Working...
                          X