Left eye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left eye

I played yesterday with another WIG buddy, a low hcp woman and an 74 year old, former hcp 5.6 and still playing very good.
    very nice foursome, I played not bad, despite 5 3-putts on the first 7 holes.
    I observed the experienced golfer, he clearly put the head before he started the backswing to the rear side, as many great players do/ did. BTW, he had an old fashioned swing, very WIG and was still able to drive beyond 200 m regularly.
    The head turn and tilt is very Shawn Clement, so I said to me, let's try this forgotten WIG puzzle piece, with immediate good results.
    Then I tried something, Shawn never had in his videos, I closed my right eye and hit shots only with the left eye open. One flashed shot after the other.
    It felt very strange in the set up, but the head turn instinctively, while normally my head is quite centered.
    Last edited by Alpineberlinette; 05-28-2016, 10:53 AM.

Hi guys,
    Thanks, Markus!
    I too, will investigate the resurrection of that "forgotten WIG puzzle piece"?
    I too, often find myself with my head "quite centered".
    Also, I often forget the braced tilt as well?

Thanks for the reminder!
    Be water, my friends
    dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

That's very much a Jack Nicklaus move. Jack thought it was very important that he completed his back swing. He believed turning his head slightly back during the back swing assured him that he would complete it. You can't go too far wrong by emulating Jack.

Comment

Hi WIG friends

in the 'old' forum - I had a piece on the 'dominant eye' ..it definitely plays a role in how one is able to visualize the shots, setup and how these things relate to the target picture. If one is Right Eye Dominant..turning the head might present a bit of a challenge..depends on player and setup..

I may try and dig that thread back out and dust it off - seems a bit trivial ..but I suspect that there is more to it than 'meets the eye'..(sigh..couldn't resist)

cheers for now

k_f
        from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
        tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

• Gary
          Gary commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Kid,

This is a post I made on the old forum about my right eye dominance. It definitely has made an impact on my golf swing. I forgot about this post so thanks for bring this up. Did you find your post about the dominate eye.

http://forum.wisdomingolf.com/index....emid=225#65466

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes I also forget about my head position. The two videos below are important reminders about he importance of he 20/20 rule.

Head Position and Lag: 2/28/2013
        http://youtu.be/h5aA_my8yio

Best Lower Body Action In The Backswing: 2/13/2014
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D4_tDZjX1w&sns=em

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

Good videos here! I realized that the best thing is to preset the head position as Shawn's shows in the first video. The less head movement during the actual swing really seems to keep things centered and keep a better COG throughout the swing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
            Hi Kid,

This is a post I made on the old forum about my right eye dominance. It definitely has made an impact on my golf swing. I forgot about this post so thanks for bring this up. Did you find your post about the dominate eye.

http://forum.wisdomingolf.com/index....emid=225#65466
            G

still looking - sure it's in there someplace..I can always dig some of that stuff back together..it's an interesting thought piece..and a bit relevant..

how one looks at the target picture or more appropriately..how one is able to see it ...can make a bigger difference than what one might first think

great post from you from 'back in the day' ..

I found that right away.. mine probably achieved the obscurity it 'richly deserves'

k_f
            from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
            tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

My first full round with the left eye on the ball and it seems to help me.
              Very good for irons and hybrid, even putting works, driver with the ball very forward seems not so good.

Comment

Hi guys,

Kid.....here's two threads that popped up when I searched "eye dominance" on MY postings on the OLD Forum:

http://forum.wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=24&id =41658&limitstart=12&Itemid=225#41789

http://forum.wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=30&id =20673&Itemid=225#20673

On one of my questions about Left/Right eye-dominance, our Chairman made (at least one) very thoughtful reply.

There's also some discussion on your "Doesn't Deserve a Thread of its Own". However, that thread is over 100 PAGES long? (as one of THE most prolific posts of all-time? I didn't have the time to search ALL of them?!?!?!

Be water, my friends

P.S. Happy Memorial Day (weekend) to all of our US friends.
                To all of our "international" friends:
                Take a moment to lift a pint to thank and remember all of Y(our) fallen comrades who helped INSURE that we have the opportunity to live the life-style that we choose.

dude abides
                Last edited by COSTA103; 05-29-2016, 10:11 AM.
                "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Great thread. I found it weird that since I struggle with compressing the ball and taking a good divot that looking in front of the ball didn't help? Well I am right eye dominant, so I think trying to see in front of the ball while preturning my head back threw my tilt and center off. I'm going to work on refocusing on the ground in between the club and the ball and see how that goes.

Comment

I'm a lefty who golfs righty, and - left-eyed dominant; so the pre-turn head to the right has worked fine into my evolution of WIG.

As a side effect, I've learned that pre-turn of the head basically sets enough brace for the swing support without undue exaggeration. I must keep that pretty honest for an old back issue than can crop up from time to time in the lower left side I've had for years before I really started golfing much.

The combo of physically posting that front side plus a pre-head turn tends to get me left side sore - mostly noticeable from range time where less duration between swings and more volume is likely. So, I keep the pre shot setup sequence to include the head turn - and that's all I need for bracing my low point for a swing out toward the target.
                    Wiggle....
                    Waggle....
                    Wobble....

Comment

The eye dominance thing came up for by random luck first. I've been always struggling with fat shots, slices and hitting the ground before the ball. Like Shawn teaches I have been trying to stay behind the ball with the 20-20 head tilt to the right.

At the range once with my shadow on 11 a clock I started watching it for my excessive (thought to be the cause for fat shots) hip thrust forward. Basically I turned my head some 40deg to the left, chin up and focused on single point there, ball out of sight. What happened was that I began flushing shots one after the other with such ease and power that I never experienced before. My fades turned in to nice baby draws and I got 10 extra yards. As soon as I turned my head and eyes back to the ball fat chunky over the top shots came back. On grass I can see my divots are either towards the target when looking away or to the left when looking at the ball. I reported back to my coach and he tested my eye dominance which was extreme right. We took videos of it to see what the impact is to the body and only change is at the top of the backswing where my club drops a tiny bit and stays on plane during the downswing with slightly in to out, when looking away from the ball. As perfect of a swing as it can get really according to my coach. With eyes on the ball I come slightly over the top, my hips don't turn as well and I really have to try to hit a big draw to get the club path even straight.

As my coach said I'm bit like Annika Sörenstram or David Duval but just don't yet know how to keep that great swing while looking at the ball. Only other way to get there is when I'm "in the zone" and can stay with the shot 100%, i.e. the ball is blurry in my eyes and I'm focused on the shot shape and target, but this is hard to achieve constantly. Good thing is that now I know that I can swing it as good as I always wanted to, just need to find it also while looking at the ball.

The point is that 20 20 head tilt to the right works for Shawn who is left eye dominant(?) but definitely not for me.
                      Last edited by Skeggis; 09-28-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                        kid_fullerene commented
                        Editing a comment
                        S - glad you found your way into being able to understand how you are able to see the momentum into the target. I don't have exact recollection of your actual swing mechanics and setup - but - looking at the ball for your swing might not really be necessary. Some swing styles and thought processes are having one's focus a bit in front of the ball (basically the true low point of the swing) and existing in relation to an intermediate point along the actual target line. So rather than try to work something that is going to give you maximum resistance - find the path of least resistance and let your swing follow.. I suspect it will ..but the challenge will be allowing your mentality to evolve and be effective and efficient in a way that is a little 'outside the box'..good luck to you and enjoy your discovery..

cheers

k_f

Have a look at the video of Shaun hitting right and left handed. Left handed his head does not tilt and his shoulders don’t look like the turn past 90 degrees. Right handed his head does the Nicklaus tilt and he completes a full shoulder turn. Shaun seems to be a perfect example of what Jim Hartnett teaches re eye dominance and what posters experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X