5 Wood Ball Position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Wood Ball Position

So I got a 5 wood with an 18* loft, steel shaft. I watched some of Shawn’s vedios and he says if I remember correctly to place the ball just forward of center for a straight draw. In a not so smart way I tried to learn to hit it on course. Every time it was a fade, or I should say slice. Anyway, I tried putting it back in my stance like the irons and hit it much better. You guys have helped my game so much I just thought I’d post here and ask your advice on the fairway woods as well. Yesterday was the first time I’ve ever swung a fairway wood, so can you offer any advice on this new piece of equipment? Just trying to expand my game as much as possible. Thank in advance!

Hi T4

sounds like a nice club .. would love to see a pic if you can share one .. would be fun to share in the new toy ..

OK ..so as to 'where to play' ..let's fumble around in your growing WIG swing awareness toolbox and see if we can find and pull out an old favorite..and see if we can get this to work with this question as well..

ah..there it is.. a little bit rusty ..but still looks like it will work..

ready>? here's the tool ..'swing center' ..

it doesn't just work for driver..

let's apply it.. and use it this way.. ball position can either be arbitrary ...that's to say ..you can put it someplace 'forward' or someplace 'backward' ..but it's relative to where the actual swing bottoms out that matters.

so the fact that you ended up playing it a bit back and having it work when it 'shouldn't' tells me that your swing center is a little further back than what you might think. Now that could be for a bunch of reasons ..maybe it's your stance, or you've gripped down a little, or your arms are a little too close to your body, or whatever.

sorry ..rambled there for a second..back on track..

figure out where your swing is centering and determine your ball position in your stance relative to that.. in the WIG swing, moving the ball a bit forward of the bottom of the swing will promote a bit more 'up' and a bit 'right' relative to the swing arc..

if your ball position was a bit too far forward ..a couple things can happen ..

1. depending on your stance and sight line ..you might end up with your shoulders a bit open..

2. your swing bottoms early and then is leaving the clubface a bit open at impact ..

the bottom line could be that either separately or in combination ..you could be leaving yourself in position to hit a fairly considerable cut ..

for now ..

check Shawn's concepts on the 'Goldilocks Method' for determining where the bottom of the swing is ..where your stance and setup feels 'just right' relative to your 'target picture'

maybe narrow your stance just a bit ..feel more like you're setting up and hitting a longer iron ..test the swing bottom ..and rather than feel like you're going to 'compress' the ball..move it about a ball forward in your stance relative to where the bottom of your swing is with the club.. see what happens from there..

I know the WIG friends will pull some relevant videos with Shawn's specific concepts and instruction .. and I think that will be a big help..

hopefully this will give you a running start at getting comfortable with the new stick..

cheers

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Thanks for the guidance! Now I at least know where to begin. It’s harder than I thought to get out of this, “mechanical”, way of thinking. It really is more of a “feel”, thing isn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersx4 View Post
        Thanks for the guidance! Now I at least know where to begin. It’s harder than I thought to get out of this, “mechanical”, way of thinking. It really is more of a “feel”, thing isn’t it?
        T4

I think that you're right, in that to apply the WIG concepts is to observe where the club is tracking..align it to the target and then arrange yourself into a 'structure' or setup that allows most access to that target picture.. swing mechanics and positions appear ..but they're not imposed on the action ..they're simply part of it. I can definitely relate to your challenges, sounds like you've had versions of similar prior instruction to what I've had ..and our mental 'internal games' of trying to impose a logical structure on the shot ..but one that is internally vs. externally focused, left us in a similar place.

As best you can ..try to play the hole and its shots 'backwards' that's to say ..back from the goal vs. you into the goal. The 'Agenda' of the Target (and its picture) may well be different than what you would seek to 'do' to 'overcome' it.. if there's a 'trick' or 'magic' to golf is that it's seeing that it is a game of adjustments...how you can get what you can do to best fit what is needed vs. trying to impose your will on the hole.

If you've got some scores in the 80's working ..you likely have the shots you need to play the game at a high level .. few people can break 100, fewer still can break 80 - much of the work that is left to be done is on the golfer's ability to recognize options and make choices while playing ..

I played some holes the other day ..struck the ball pretty well, I don't think I missed a fairway (only played 9 holes) but struggled to score on at least half the holes.. literally caught myself standing over approach shots with no real plan, no real idea of where I wanted to go.. and hit shots that looked like I had no idea where I wanted them to go. To be a bit evenhanded about it, I went out with the purpose of seeing where my swing was.. but really the swing exists in service to the shots .. either you have chosen them or you're just literally going through the motions..

I'll leave it there for now.. good luck in your journey..

cheers for now

k_f
        from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
        tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Working...
        X