Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 wood ball position

Hi All

What is the reason for me to hit a 3 wood ball position back of centre solidly compare the ball forward of my stance. By putting the ball back my ball flight feels lower but when I try to put forward I can't get to hit the ball solidly and sometimes it hooks.

Hi Loco

have a thought or two based on your description.

and some of what is being experienced might well be due to relative stance width as well.. which would also speak to

'how far forward' vs, what you're seeing or experiencing as 'middle'

the short of it is that if you're putting a solid strike on the ball and hitting with a bit of 'compression' with a 3 W ..it sounds like the ball is pretty much just at or behind the 'true middle of the swing'

that's to say.. a true bottom of the arc..which would be just a few inches in front of the ball ..about where your divot would be ..

if you're getting a 'thin hook' as you work the ball forward..then the club head is traveling a bit up and around at that point .. a bit like what a driver would be.. except that the ball not being on the tee is going to a bit hard to catch.. and you'll likely be flirting with a sort of thin strike or 'pinch' on the ball.

the 'key' might be .. that it's all about where the club is finding the middle and figuring out where the ball should or could be relative to that..rather than trying to figure out how to put a club on the ball ..

a lower penetrating ball flight is not a bad thing.. and a good solid quality strike is usually your friend.

as to WIG/Shawn Videos/concepts that might apply .. look at some of the 'Goldilocks stuff' and target focus things.. I suspect some of the archivists around here probably have a few good videos up their virtual sleeves..

hope this is of some help

cheers for now

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

loco, the center of gravity (cog) of a 3 wood or any wood is near the center of the head, not the face. By setting up with the " 3 wood ball position back of centre" you swing is more a descending strike when it makes contact with the ball and you get a ball flight with a lower trajectory that will draw or hook. So try to visually set up to the ball with the idea that the center of the club is striking the ball.

Also remember that the swing for woods is more of a sweep across the grass and you should not be getting a divot like you would with an iron.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron I View Post
        loco, the center of gravity (cog) of a 3 wood or any wood is near the center of the head, not the face. By setting up with the " 3 wood ball position back of centre" you swing is more a descending strike when it makes contact with the ball and you get a ball flight with a lower trajectory that will draw or hook. So try to visually set up to the ball with the idea that the center of the club is striking the ball.

Also remember that the swing for woods is more of a sweep across the grass and you should not be getting a divot like you would with an iron.

Hope this helps.
        Ron

love that distinction about the COG in the woods being in the center of the head.. that helped me ring a mental bell as well -- makes a big difference as to playing the ball and dealing with the center or bottom of the swing and then catching the ball with a bit of 'sweep'..

I'll put a pin in that one !!

cheers

k_f
        tu nunquam hic

Comment

Yeah I'm the "basic" guy in this thread and always yield to the more ornate and eloquent orators! ;>) How was that Kid???? ;>)

Comment

Originally posted by thuthu View Post
            Yeah I'm the "basic" guy in this thread and always yield to the more ornate and eloquent orators! ;>) How was that Kid???? ;>)
            you can never be too committed to the fundamentals..

glad that I rate an 'ornate & eloquent' in your book - that's a true honor..

cheers for now

k_f
            tu nunquam hic

Comment

• COSTA103
              COSTA103 commented
              Editing a comment
              a TRUE "ornate and eloquent orator" would've had the presence of mind to SPELL correctly???
              In WIG's true CANADIAN heritage it is...…"honOUR"?

Can I get an "AMEN"?

dude abides

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
            a TRUE "ornate and eloquent orator" would've had the presence of mind to SPELL correctly???
            In WIG's true CANADIAN heritage it is...…"honOUR"?

Can I get an "AMEN"?

dude abides
            AMEN..

and I would do it in French in respect or 'honour' of the Chairman's new Home Base .. but I have no idea what that word is..

and of course, that would move me to being nearly incomprehensible in 2 languages ...

best to leave well enough alone..

cheers

k_f
            tu nunquam hic

Comment

Working...
            X