What's your focus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kid_fullerene View Post
    but in the words of the Josey Wales ..sometimes a man has got to know his limitations.
    Great points Kid!

But I thought those wise words about a man knowing his limitations were spoken by Dirty Harry . . . . . .

And while I'm at it . . . . . .

Comment

I bet our friend Ferko had no idea that somehow his thread would include Dirty Harry and Josey Wales in the discussion.

Comment

Cally

when you're right you're right..

and I'm not right..

and I did check for the Josey Wales quotes..

and it's clearly a job for Dirty Harry..

but with a bit more 'crack of the whip'

the esteemed Mr. Eastwood would probably recapture a bit of his 'missing distance'..

it is a great game..

and while I doubt the Outlaw Josey Wales or Detective Harry Callahan would be found anywhere near Pebble Beach.. their creator is..

cheers for now

k_f
      from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
      tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

• Ken Robie
        Ken Robie commented
        Editing a comment
        Kid, isn't that a Man Card violation????

and while I doubt the Outlaw Josey Wales or Detective Harry Callahan would be found anywhere near Pebble Beach.. their creator is.
      Kid,

Speaking of Mr. Eastwood being found near Pebble Beach, you just made me recall this "slow play" commercial that he did with Mr. Palmer about 5 years ago . . .

BTW, it appears in this video that Mr. Eastwood had the same irons I have (Callaway X Forged, 2013 version).

Comment

Mr. Norris wished me a Happy New Year and on behalf of Mr. Eastwood asked me to kindly send in my Man Card until I re-watch the entire Dirty Harry Series..

after that.. I may be back on some kind of probationary status..

Cally, however, has greater standing than ever..

sigh..

and I checked..and Ken Robie is also in great standing..

I was tempted to edit out my major gaffe ..but I own my complete loss of Man Card.

cheers for now

k_f
        tu nunquam hic

Comment

Schrodinger

interesting notion - in terms of Flick and of the articles..

for what it's worth - it might be fun to test clubhead speed with an Ernest Jones derived swing ..'swinging the clubhead' and 'clubhead /clubface control' and its 'sympathetic pivot' and see how it matches up to a rotational swing..

no idea what the results would be ..but it seems like you have an eye for these sorts of things ..and might already possess the information for all I know..

the other is to put forward a notion that the semantics of 'apparent or relative manipulation' ..might be viewed through a lens of trying to do something with one's arms /hands while actually depending on on a body rotation /pivot to drop the club..

one could also contrast that with the notion of hip spin or overactive hips or some sort of lower body 'over rotation' equivalent in context of an arms/hands based swing that would not be seen so much as a manipulation per se - but perhaps something more like an 'over active body'

weight can become speed

speed can act on weight

it's a function of how gravity and momentum appear or are felt ..but the net result is that speed and therefore Newtons (effective mass) are sent out the club shaft and into the head..

just a question of when ..

and I'm assured that your Man Card is also safe..

ah well..

the life of a Crackpot Golf Theorist (World's Leading) is not an easy one

cheers

k_f
          tu nunquam hic

Comment

Mr. Norris wished me a Happy New Year and on behalf of Mr. Eastwood asked me to kindly send in my Man Card until I re-watch the entire Dirty Harry Series..

after that.. I may be back on some kind of probationary status..

Cally, however, has greater standing than ever..

sigh..

and I checked..and Ken Robie is also in great standing..

I was tempted to edit out my major gaffe ..but I own my complete loss of Man Card.

cheers for now

k_f
            Kid,

When it comes to "Man Card" revocations, if it's any consolation Kid I believe mere words are only a minor violation . . . it takes an action or an inaction for the offense to rise to the level of a major violation.

I'll put a word in with Mr. Jean-Claude Van Damme and see if we can accelerate the restoration of your "Man Card" . . .

Disclaimer: Do Not Attempt this at Home.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
              kid_fullerene commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks Cally !! I think it's only that kind of High End Man Zen that can save me now!

You guys are LUCKY!
            The closest I've ever come to owning a Man-Card is my now-expired Justice League of America Membership card which I pilfered from the wallet of one Sheldon Cooper?

Where/How does one obtain a Man-Card so that I might aspire to one-day have it "revoked"?

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
            Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Ron I
              Ron I commented
              Editing a comment
              YOU NERD! And a good thief because Sheldon Cooper hasn't complained or found out about it!

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
            Where/How does one obtain a Man-Card so that I might aspire to one-day have it "revoked"?
            Hey Dude,

The last I knew John Wick is in charge of "Man Card" applications. I'll be seeing him later today, and I'll get the process started for you!

Comment

COSTA103
              COSTA103 replied
              57 minutes ago
              You guys are LUCKY!
              The closest I've ever come to owning a Man-Card is my now-expired Justice League of America Membership card which I pilfered from the wallet of one Sheldon Cooper?

Dude - the JLA called and said that you get to play their theme song (and now yours) before walking on to the Lesson Tee .. I think that your students will enjoy! Who needs a Man Card if you have the power of the Justice League behind you?

Cally
              Cally replied
              52 minutes ago
              Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
              Hey Dude,

The last I knew John Wick is in charge of "Man Card" applications. I'll be seeing him later today, and I'll get the process started for you!

as John Wick is a man of focus ..he's the perfect guy to be in charge

not safe for work audio (a few curse words) but still sets a great mood.
              tu nunquam hic

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                kid_fullerene commented
                Editing a comment
                Cally

I appreciate you intervening with Mr. Wick and helping me find my 'man card' ..which one day with proper care and nurture, and lots of manliness, will become a full grown 'MAN CARD' .. and while it might never be Platinum or any other precious metal .. at least I'm back in the game.

and now.. about that 'focus' .. hope I can combine it with some 'target' and have something to show in 2018

cheers

k_f

• Ken Robie
                Ken Robie commented
                Editing a comment
                Cally I believe the Dude's Card was one of the first ones hand carved on a tablet brought down from the top of a mountain now resides with the rest of those mystical artifacts!!!

• COSTA103
                COSTA103 commented
                Editing a comment
                ....Buried on Oak Island?

While we're at it... I bet they all have their card... and real focus!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferko View Post
                While we're at it... I bet they all have their card... and real focus!
                Just wondering, when you have one guy like Mr. Wick, he is a "man of focus." But if you have more than one guy, would they be referred to as "men of foci" in the plural sense?

BTW, I never saw the "You brought two too many" scene . . . that's a good one Ferko!

Comment

• COSTA103
                  COSTA103 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For the record, "men" is always plural...
                  For the "focus" plurality, if the "men" were all focused on the SAME thing; like a Navy Seal team in battle, it'd still be "focus" (sing)....
                  IF they were unrelated and therefore each man was focused on his own, UNIQUE thing....it'd be "MEN (pl) of "FOCI" (pl)

OR if you have three men....cuz you'd have "two too many"...

• Cally
                  Cally commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very good Dude! Thanks for clarifying the finer points of, and distinctions between, "focus" and "foci."

Must admit that I have real difficulty with wandering eyes in the full swing (see great SC video below) but I've been practicing hundreds of small chips indoors (in my long hallway with foam balls) all winter just picturing where the ball needs to land. Hopefully this will help my external focus to target in a few months time when its warm enough to venture onto the golf course.

Comment

I believe this is a good video to add to this topic.

Comment

• Cally
                    Cally commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good find Gary, I never saw this guy before.

Where he talks about the rear shoulder going as far towards the target as he can, I stumbled across a feeling just like this several years ago where my right/rear shoulder felt like it was going toward the target, and the ensuing momentum carried me to the finish. I felt like I had better contact and distance with my shots. So even though I know we aren't supposed to think body parts, my swing thought for a while was right shoulder to target.

BTW, Dude did you catch the Bruce Lee reference at the beginning of this video? Maybe it was his accent, but I missed it at first until I watched it for a second time.

• COSTA103
                    COSTA103 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, Cally.....I did catch that reference? I wonder how many of our fellow-WIG'rs did also?
                    I think the guy makes excellent points!
                    "His" concept of "Intention" is right on the money.
                    Most of us PRETEND to have the correct intention, but mostly we honestly INSIST on "hitting the ball" or "swinging as HARD as we can"?

I have used his "hold your position" idea for YEARS!
                    Getting into that BALANCED, "posing" posture at the end and HOLDING it is an excellent way to divert one's attention AWAY from the BALL?
                    The KEY is to make that posture your OBJECTIVE (or INTENTION).
                    You can't fake it.....you can't HIDE from what you are "really" intending....

Be water, my friends

dude abides

.......LOTS of commentary about......"INTENTION"???

Where have I heard that before?
                  ummmmmm....

dude abides
                  "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                  Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Working...
                  X