Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When and what to think about?... TASK versus a Picture of my Shot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When and what to think about?... TASK versus a Picture of my Shot?

Hi, Thinking about "driving a nail into a board reallly helps me to not come over the top. Also thinking about the "picture of my shot "say when I am on the tee box or any shot for tha matter also is huge. So since you can't think about two things what does one think about? he shot pictuure or the the task of driving the nail? Are task thoughts just for the range?

Doc how about thinking: Drive the nail through your IT (intermediate target) at the picture. We have to think of the swing in dynamic terms that is moving in a direction at a target. This has helped me. I remember at one time I would have one swing thought that seemed to help me perform well, but that soon changed and I had to struggle to find a another swing thought. I was struggling to find which one would work today. Finally, I made my swing thought or task to: Throw the club through the IT at the target. My IT is a spot on the ground in front of the ball by about a foot. And my target is off in the distance like a tree or bunker that is in the direction where I want my ball to land.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Make it easier on your brain. Have you ever played really good pool/billiards? Think about where you want the club face to intersect the ball and what you want the ball to do in reaction to that impact. I.E. where does the billiard ball go and what does it do after the first and second impact. Golf is exactly the same thing on paper. environmental conditions aside.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron I View Post
        Doc how about thinking: Drive the nail through your IT (intermediate target) at the picture. We have to think of the swing in dynamic terms that is moving in a direction at a target. This has helped me. I remember at one time I would have one swing thought that seemed to help me perform well, but that soon changed and I had to struggle to find a another swing thought. I was struggling to find which one would work today. Finally, I made my swing thought or task to: Throw the club through the IT at the target. My IT is a spot on the ground in front of the ball by about a foot. And my target is off in the distance like a tree or bunker that is in the direction where I want my ball to land.

Hope this helps.
        After trying all of the analogies, usually one at a time lol, but I still remain extremely ball focused. I think what Ron is describing is where I have settled at least for now. When I pure a shot there, is definitely a focus and feel of through/over/in conjunction with, an IT on the ground in front of the ball. The video I think of is "staying with your shot" with some "predicting contact" but wish one of the analogies would resonate better for me.

Comment

Hi guys,

Over the course of time, our Chairman has introduced us to a myriad of analogies; each designed to resonate with a different style of play(er).

At the end of the day, each of us as players, fall into one of two buckets. We are either "hitters" or "swingers"?
          It boils down to what, in our heart-of-hearts, is our true Intention...
          Are we "swinging" the Club? Or are we "hitting" the Ball?

I (speaking for myself) am clearly in the "swinging" category.
          A very cornerstone of my personal game was honed by, what I consider to be, one of our Chairman's crowning video achievements:

"Hitting the Ball is NOT your Job" (part I & II)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4inEPRySvo4&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mQBJUbH1Tc&t=2s
          I have expressed this opinion in multiple contributions to this very site.

The reason for this contribution is that we must understand what category we fall into and CHOOSE an analogy that is targeted for those players in that category.
          If you're a "swinger" of the club, Hammering the Nail may not work as effectively as you'd like...
          A "hitter" of the ball may not succeed with a notion of Swinging over the Intermediate Target in THAT direction?

Don't expect ALL of Shawn's analogies to be one-size-fits-all and choose YOURS with care.

Love this place and you guys
          Be water, my friends

dude abides
          Last edited by COSTA103; 02-09-2019, 09:58 AM.
          "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
          Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

I am very ball focused and managed to overcome it, yesterday a 1 under par with a lot of pure shots.

But despite Wisdomingolf it took a while.
            I realized the concept immediately and had also initial success with throwing the club.
            But the battle with the ball focus is always part of my game.

I like to mention two topics related to the change away from ball focus.
            1. Patience and repetition. I know, Shawn says, we are built to adaptation not repitiion, however, if somebody played golf with strong ball focus for years, it needs time to get used to the different approach.
            2. Short circuits. It’s unbelievable, how strong that can be, how fast the brain can switch from an appropriate task to hitting at the ball during the swing in a split second.

For me, others may differ, it’s related to not enough body turn, not enough ‚out of the way‘. The recent Cameron Champ videos were a good reminder for me.

So, take your time and work on the Wisdomingolfgolf basics, ask yourself, do I perform it really like it should, or do I only believe, I do?

Comment

Hi guys,

We've all heard various quotes (often from some of the greatest players of all time) akin to "...Golf is 90% mental..."
              Many of us have varying degrees of acceptance with that concept.
              For myself, I choose to believe it whole-heartedly. Your level of belief may vary.

But here's my point.

If true, and Golf is 90% mental...….WHY is traditional golf instruction 100% MECHANICAL?
              All that means is that the majority of conventional instructors PASS on that aspect of the game which, by their own admission is 90% of the exercise?

I like to think of it as a "conscious" mind and a "sub-conscious" mind...
              Your SUB-conscious mind creates the framework under which your conscious mind performs physically.

We all make "practice"-SWINGS?
              We do not make practice-HITS??

So with all of the practice-SWINGING, is it any wonder that we often fail if we are trying to HIT the ball?
              We are NOT executing that same thing which we have practiced?

This is what I refer to as "INTENTION"

If your Intention is to HIT the Ball (ball-focus) then all that practicing your Swing has been wasted time.

Practice the swing.....Execute the swing....and stand such that when you make that same swing, the ball gets in the way of the clubhead....

Love this place and you guys

dude abides
              Last edited by COSTA103; 02-11-2019, 06:57 AM.

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Ron I
                Ron I commented
                Editing a comment
                WORTH REPEATING! !
                We all make "practice"-SWINGS?
                We do not make practice-HITS??

Hey Dude, there was an interesting hidden nugget in the phrase "we don't make practice hits" And maybe we should???? We take a multitude of "Practice" Air swings but never once take and create the impact position of where we expect the body and club to be for that particular shot. Whether it be a little trap draw or stinger fade down the middle of the fairway, or what have you.

Comment

Hi guys,

To Ken's point....

I'd wager that EVERY one of us has been chastised (often as children) to "...PRACTICE what you PREACH..."?

That is my bottom line in a nutshell....

IF your "mental Intention" is to "HIT the ball"? Then practice a "hitting" process.
                IF your "mental Intention" is to "SWING" the club? Then practice a "swinging" process.

Problem as I see it is that we all "talk a good game" when we make our "practice" swing, but don't have the stones to stay the course when the urge to hit-the-ball comes a'courtin'....

Practice what you Preach...
                Preach what you Practice.

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Working...
                X