How would you describe Shawn's emphasis of teaching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you describe Shawn's emphasis of teaching

I liked Lefty's idea about how Shawn has changes his emphasis on how we learn the golf swing. So rather than hi-jack the topic thread, I thought that it deserves its own thread.

I believe that Shawn is using concepts that correspond to how we learn, which is using the external focus keys of completing a task and feeling that you are set up to complete it.

Ron

I agree and thank you for getting this into 'its own lane'..

in that it's critical to have an understanding of where Shawn is/has taken his concepts & teaching in order to try and provide some kind of useful explanation of how it's evolved(ing)..

Shawn is trying now to convey to the students of the subject a conceptual model or framework of how one intentionally directs momentum into a desired outcome .. and in so doing has a result that may show up on your body as a golf swing.

I've been plugging along over the past couple of years - and have been reflecting in particular on his notion(s) of 'the blur' and its relationship to the target..

I see articles, opinion pieces and dialog in and around the 'Golf Analysis' space and so often I hear about 'play GOLF not Golf Swing' ..

I think that Shawn is very much about finding a pathway for his students to play the game and not merely play at the Golf Swing..

I've got some very specific things I'd want to throw into this mix if we arrive conversationally at that place.

I'll borrow for the moment, Ron's notion of 'feeling that you are set up to complete' the task..

we know that the setup has to match your intention & action to target ..and we know that each is a bit unique in its own right..

so ..

does the Setup then .. 'place the blur' ?

and why might that be important?

cheers for now

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Interesting concept kid, "
      does the Setup then .. 'place the blur' ?"

My first reaction was no. Because you can do the perpetual motion drill and see the blur and then you can setup to match the blur. However, once you set up, the blur is predetermined (provided you don't manipulate your swing) by gravity controlling the natural arc of you swing. So the answer is yes. The setup can control the place of the blur.

Make sense?

I guess my point is that you first need to find the place of the blur and then setup and trust that blur of the swing is towards the target. If it isn't towards the target, there must me some swing manipulation occurring.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron I View Post
        Interesting concept kid, "
        does the Setup then .. 'place the blur' ?"

My first reaction was no. Because you can do the perpetual motion drill and see the blur and then you can setup to match the blur. However, once you set up, the blur is predetermined (provided you don't manipulate your swing) by gravity controlling the natural arc of you swing. So the answer is yes. The setup can control the place of the blur.

Make sense?

I guess my point is that you first need to find the place of the blur and then setup and trust that blur of the swing is towards the target. If it isn't towards the target, there must me some swing manipulation occurring.
        Hi Ron

appreciate you taking a moment to get this more identified and moving the discussion along ..

I believe that you nailed the concept I was trying to articulate but was a bit fuzzy.

Here's how I think I have it in my head..

there are a lot of ways to get this done..

does a golfer stand to 'train tracks' and get a setup built to bring 'the blur' into the setup..

or

does a golfer find 'the blur' more dynamically and then just match the setup into where the blur needs to go?

it's not that WIG is ruled out if one stands a bit statically - but it's a different dimension of thinking that might be needed..

WIG is more 'elephant walk' .. where's this going ..?? and where is the target that this needs to go to?

now for what it's worth ..

I believe that people might be pre-disposed to a sense of how to acquire a target.. and then direct energy..

mentally, and this is an important disclosure for me -- I seem to be most mentally comfortable with 'train tracks'.. I figure out the parallel and bring the swing into it.. as opposed to getting the swing snap/'the blur' identified and then putting a setup around it.. might be how I first learned .. or some kind of other baked in bias..

it's not that I don't know that the 'other' exists ..it's just a sort of perceptual difference..

details matter, awareness matters .. time for us is finite ..

one has to become aware of what is working and why (or why not) before trying to identify and adapt to change..

mental and habitual inertia is as real as gravity ..

cheers

k_f
        from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
        tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Originally posted by kid_fullerene View Post

does a golfer stand to 'train tracks' and get a setup built to bring 'the blur' into the setup..
          or
          does a golfer find 'the blur' more dynamically and then just match the setup into where the blur needs to go?

Hi guys,
          The more I read this comment (from "kid"), the more I appreciate the brilliance of its simplicity....

Read this......and then read it again.....

Don't underestimate its brilliance.

Thanks, kid...
          Love'ya man.
          (...and this place and you other guys too!)

dude abides

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
          Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• kid_fullerene
            kid_fullerene commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Dude - Hola WIG Friends..

it's not often (if ever) that I get the word 'brilliance' associated with anything I throw out into the world ..let alone having it uttered from the likes of 'He Who Must Abide' .. so I'll mark this day down .. and stumble back into my cave in the Ravine just off the 13th at the Fabled Crackpot National Golf & CC (est. 2011) where I do what I claim to be 'my best work'. In all seriousness - the mission is to get you and me and anybody who is trying to sort this - to a point of 'objective distance' from their process or habits. If you can, ask yourself 'just how am I going about acquiring a target? I could always swing pretty freely - but when I tried to 'aim' .. and imposed my sense of what 'aim' was .. things would go horribly wrong - which of course I tried to solve in some kind of mechanical fashion.. I'm not saying that this has or will ever happen to you -- but I think I understand now, why it might have, if it has..

cheers for now

k_f
        Working...
        X