the Fundamentals under the Fundamentals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Fundamentals under the Fundamentals

here's something from the 1st Chapter of the Book of the Dude..

hugely influential - and my dog-eared and thoroughly annotated (scrawled in & yellow highlighted) 2nd Edition in paperback (Crackpot Golf Theorists tend not to make a lot of $$$)

has some stars around this little passage from Chapter 1 - 'The Fundamentals under any Golf Fundamentals'

GRAVITY....EXTERNAL FOCUS and Task, and "get OUT of the WAY"?
    it's a message from the Universe that has never wavered, and I proclaim with conviction, that the Sun will, in fact RISE in the EAST, yet again??

some notes that I wrote in the margins of this were the questions I had about these 'Dude Certitudes'.. I was pretty clear on the bit about the Sun Rising.. seems fairly reliable ..

but I had a few thoughts that the first sentence provoked..

in no particular order:

"gravity is a certainty, but which way does it work?"

"is 'out of the way' the same for every golfer or every golf swing?"

"how do I find a way of putting my mind on my external task?"

so the big question I had .(and have) is how do those things involving focus and setup that are the underpinnings of what are considered 'Golf Fundamentals' like stance and grip become realized or translated into a successful action to target?

It's a pretty good chapter.. at some point we can continue on.. but there's a lot to potentially digest here.. even if there isn't a lot of snow out there to give one pause to consider them right now..

I can wait..

Gravity is patient...

cheers for now

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

kid, there is no argument from me. Your concepts are spot on. When they are followed, I have an excellent swing and the is delivered on target!

ONE concept that you mentioned that I am interested in going deeper into the rabbit hole is

If I remember correctly, the Old Forum had a lot conversation about external and internal keys or tasks. Books by Timothy Galloway (The Inner Game of Golf and The Inner Game of Tennis) and Chris Riddoch's books (The Golf Swing and Expert Putting) were brought into the discussions.

Comment

Hi Ron..

I could not agree more .. and thank you for bringing this into the 'Book of the Dude"

I think that these are areas that we need to re-visit and spend some quality time on going into next year and beyond..

Many of us have a sense of being able to get things done physically ..it's more a matter of achieving and maintaining focus and consistent application ..

crucial strides towards any kind of mastery of these skills..

cheers for now
      k_f
      tu nunquam hic

Comment

So, how do I get a copy of this book??

Comment

Originally posted by Robsilly View Post
          So, how do I get a copy of this book??
          Hi Rob,

it's tricky, I found mine in a neglected corner of an old Book Shop devoted entirely to Golf Books. The copy I found had been owned previously, and it was well travelled and there were many notes in a variety of inks and at least 2 or 3 distinct 'hands' .. My belief is that this wisdom had inspired a few players in search of a better way of being their own golf swing. But more importantly the 'Book of the Dude' from 'He Who Must Abide' is a guide to understanding that Golf is a Way of Life ..and Life is a Way of Golf ..

My copy, like me, has some years on it now .. the pages are a bit brittle and yellowed slightly - the inks upon the pages (even much of my relatively recent notes) have fades somewhat - but the brightness and brilliance revealed - remains intact.

ah - OK .. you caught me, this book may exist in some Time/Space Continuum someplace, but upon this Earth and this time - it's mostly a figment of my imagination, quite a bit like my book, 'The Field Guide to Recognizing Golf Swings in the Wild' (4th Edition) .. which I also periodically quote from ..

I suppose that it's a bit of a literary trick - a sort of 'narrative device' to make my Crackpot Golf Theory somewhat less tedious to the eye of the reader.. but there's a part of me that believes that the Dude may well commit to writing a book of himself.. which would be quite something.

for my stuff ... such as it is -- I may well one day also get around to trying to put something out .. but Gravity & Inertia, Space & Time are conspiring against me at this time ..

but I remain optimistic that such an amazing set of literary feats may well be realized..and in such a way not to diminish the great work by serious students of the game being done and shared with all of us!

you know that I will also remain a great admirer of your focus and journey and wish you well upon it!

cheers

k_f
          tu nunquam hic

Comment

One doesn't answer lightly when it comes to the Book of the Dude. That's why I took a bit of time before posting. And even now my hands tremble with apprehension as I'm about to press the Post Reply button...

Originally posted by kid_fullerene View Post
            "gravity is a certainty, but which way does it work?"
            Funnily, I thought about these golfers on the other side of Earth, swinging with their head "down". Take a few seconds to picture it! Really picture it in your mind. Truly amazing when one thinks about it! If we could visualize at a glance all these golfers roaming the surface of the Earth on a sunny Sunday... All these little balls flying in the air and going down... Fully blossoming with the sunlight! What a nice dance that would be!

And add all the joy, fear, disappointment or hope these golfers are experiencing. You've probably been through all those feelings yourselves on the golf course. Picture all these golfers and their endless supply of intertwining feelings! Is it not overwhelming if you start feeling for them all? All of that held by gravity in a little corner of the universe...

Need more time to digest the other excerpts from the Book of the Dude...

Comment

Originally posted by kid_fullerene View Post
              A few (obvious) ideas:

- Find your task and stick with it
              - Commit to the task before playing a round of golf and at the range
              - Evaluate your shots (golf course and practice). Did I stick to the task?
              - Shape the shots. Help to have external focus and a target.

How does one find the right task? Do you know instantly if that's the right task for you or do you need to practice again and again until...?

Comment

Working...
              X