Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steka View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm still struggling not trying to hit AT the ball but to focus on for example slashing the melon with the sword, cutting grass, flicking a stone, you name it.
    In other words, I'm scooping at the ball and am still trying to find the right approach to deliver shaft lean at impact.

What is your way, what do you imagine at the top of your backswing ?

Steka
    if your still working on the release I can fully understand your dilemma but try this.
    While addressing the ball take swing, stop before making contact. Now ask yourself 'Was that at the ball or the target?'
    Now if it was at the ball your intuition will give you a thumbs up
    Now move a 1/4, 1/8 step closer to the ball and do the same
    Now ask yourself would that deliver to my target with the ball. grass ground getting in the way
    Make sure your'e braced and head is tilted
    It's an awesome feeling.
    Oh yeah if you want a thought to occupy self1 try this nugget Shawn gave me..'Maximum range, soft throw'
    Good Luck

Comment

Definitely still working on that.
      However i found it is the focus that drives the release for me.
      I need to focus on swinging into my target, not at the ball.

If i do that i end up with good weight transfer, no steep downswing, no fat shots and divots pointing straight ahead or a little right of the target.

Comment

I was just watching Shawn's video on stance width based on Brandel Chamblis' book. At one point Shawn got out a pick axe and swung it to demonstrate how release works . He pointed out the fact that with a pick axe if you didn't release you could get hurt.

Comment

Hi noblesville. From your post im guessing you had lessons with Shawn. Great.

When you were throwing the club did the last power feeling feel like an upswing to target?

So to be clear does your release feel like it is down and through or up and through?

You can swing to target with both feelings and I feel this will help for clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by gazstaf View Post

Steka
            if your still working on the release I can fully understand your dilemma but try this.
            While addressing the ball take swing, stop before making contact. Now ask yourself 'Was that at the ball or the target?'
            Now if it was at the ball your intuition will give you a thumbs up
            Now move a 1/4, 1/8 step closer to the ball and do the same
            Now ask yourself would that deliver to my target with the ball. grass ground getting in the way
            Make sure your'e braced and head is tilted
            It's an awesome feeling.
            Oh yeah if you want a thought to occupy self1 try this nugget Shawn gave me..'Maximum range, soft throw'
            Good Luck
            hey gazstaf,

I am intrigued but fear I don't quite comprehend the drill or the feelings? can you please elaborate a wee bit?

cheers,

doc c

Comment

Originally posted by Gmonkey View Post
              Hi noblesville. From your post im guessing you had lessons with Shawn. Great.

When you were throwing the club did the last power feeling feel like an upswing to target?

So to be clear does your release feel like it is down and through or up and through?

You can swing to target with both feelings and I feel this will help for clarity.

What a great question, I am thinking about the same thing but didn't exactly know how to put it into writing

Comment

Its probably an upswing I think. On release I just dont think you can beat throwing the club. Does not have to be a massive hurl down range. If your release is handsy then your club will go left. The biggest thing is taking the hands out. That is hard to do. Im a bit of a doubting thomas so my brain needed proof before I could actually do it. If you watch Dustin Johnson grip through impact and downswing then that shows you it cant be a hands hit or hands release. You simply would never hit anything with your hands like Justin has them. Once you can throw a club to target with the swing and the hands dont drag it left then you are on your way. Shawns good one was hurling a sack of rice onto the back of a truck is a classic analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.cox View Post

hey gazstaf,

I am intrigued but fear I don't quite comprehend the drill or the feelings? can you please elaborate a wee bit?

cheers,

doc c
                  Doc Sorry for the delay in responding
                  Ok
                  I think the original problem was the release, now I think I have what is called an early release so not much lag = little compression apart from that my swing form is good .
                  So I was working on this aspect, and at one stage I stopped my swing at the ball and asked myself...'was that at the ball?" and my instinct said a big YES!
                  Next I took a Goldilocks approach and I found that by stepping closer to the ball at address I had to swing to a target.
                  The feeling was that at address I felt very, very boxed in, but by keeping the head tilted during the whole exercise and whipping towards my target a different sensation was created.
                  The other thing I mentioned was something Shawn got me to do.
                  The situation was around the transition from back to through swing.
                  Imagine you only had to hit your driver 100 metres, how soft would you throw the club?
                  Hence the mantra Maximum range( of your swing) then transition with a soft throw.
                  This allows all the body parts to line up and not get in the way.
                  Again Out of the way out of the way.
                  The feeling here is one of a very smooth swing.
                  And if you don't do this already get a metronome or similar and swing to a beat.
                  I find 37 BPM for the driver is attainable
                  around 47 for med irons and around 55 for the shorter clubs.
                  Hope this has helped.
                  Cheers
                  Garry

Comment

Hi guys. been a student of Shawn Clement since 2010. I have struggled a lot as every golfer do.
                    There are many goldnuggets from Shawn but there is particular one analogy that keeps me grounded and dont let me think so much of the swing.
                    It auto corrects itself by the gravity. Its called "The handle goes first".

At 6:00 in this vid Shawn talks about a added bonus. He talks about lag in the backswing.
                    When i am doing iit a flush the ball effortlessly. Give it a try if you struggles and are all over the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i-FRwjcFpc

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gmonkey View Post
                      Its probably an upswing I think. On release I just dont think you can beat throwing the club. Does not have to be a massive hurl down range. If your release is handsy then your club will go left. The biggest thing is taking the hands out. That is hard to do. Im a bit of a doubting thomas so my brain needed proof before I could actually do it. If you watch Dustin Johnson grip through impact and downswing then that shows you it cant be a hands hit or hands release. You simply would never hit anything with your hands like Justin has them. Once you can throw a club to target with the swing and the hands dont drag it left then you are on your way. Shawns good one was hurling a sack of rice onto the back of a truck is a classic analogy.
                      Yesterday i went to a field and threw clubs for the first time. I noticed just about all of my throws were to the left, so it makes sense what you say about the release being handsy. I struggle with the 'hit at the ball' syndrome, which gives me an over the top move. I am really working on swing my arms to the target, but awfully hard when that little white ball is sitting there.

I then threw clubs with one arm - first with my left, and again the clubs went left. However, when i did just with the right arm, the clubs went at my target. I am a left hander playing righty, so this made sense. I then put both hands on the club and tossed feeling a right arm sling to the target, and voila, the clubs went closer to my target, albeit a bit still left.

I then took my 7 iron with a ball and hit a couple of nice straight shots. I hope this a breakthrough for me, because i really struggle as a golfer. Love the game, but i am not very good. I am always working on my grip, setup, and alignment, and i feel i am in a good setup to hit the ball, but the release to the target has always been a struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
                        Hi guys,

Speaking for myself, I do not think of "doing" ANYTHING to/with/at ANYTHING?
                        In my experience and observation, any THING upon which I'm thinking/focusing all too often morphs into the BALL which I am supposed to HIT?

Much in the same way when we make our Practice-Swing, we are generally NOT focusing on anything other than DELIVERING our swing-ENERGY forwards.
                        (I'll wager there are precious FEW of us who have a "target" when we execute our Practice-swing?)

All I'm trying to do is facilitate (get-out-of-the-way) the natural swinging motion that Gravity insists upon.
                        ENERGY THAT WAY!

Do you picture a dandelion or axe analogy when you're pushing your Child-on-a-Swing?
                        I didn't think so.
                        Just Energy (gentle) THAT WAY.

Be water, my friends
                        "costa dude"

I really needed to read this. I have been working hard with my 6 pound sledgehammer to refine the plant fall and getting my kinetic chain engaged. Anywho, after doing some reps of that I began to warmup hitting balls. I roll the first ball over, look at my landing spot, and FLUSH it perfectly.

Then.... I catch myself- oh yeah, I need a task. Cut the stem resulted in blading the next ball. Swing the sledgehammer turned out fat. Etc etc.

Somehow the task is overloading my Self 1 just as bad or worse than trying to hit the ball?

Pros talk about when they are in the zone they are present and not thinking about anything. Tiger swings or putts into his picture.

I guess my quandary is how to swing and send my energy to a target without thinking about anything but also not “blacking out”? Costa, I know your eyes are “looking” at your swing bottom but are you seeing it or something else say your target picture or the feel of your release?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks all!
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robsilly View Post

I guess my quandary is how to swing and send my energy to a target without thinking about anything but also not “blacking out”? Costa, I know your eyes are “looking” at your swing bottom but are you seeing it or something else say your target picture or the feel of your release?
                          Hi Rob,

Two things:

One: Consider "what you are thinking about" as you perform your practice swing or PMD? You may just find the "nothing" for which you search...

Two, in regards to my "looking at the swing bottom, (as you might expect) I DO try to think about nothing?
                          However, I must admit that what I'm trying to ACHIEVE is that the "visual-field" of my swing-bottom does not CHANGE.
                          That is to say that I don't perceive it to get LARGER or SMALLER....suggesting that my head has moved UP or DOWN...
                          That I don't perceive the visual-ANGLE to change, indicating that perhaps my body has SWAYED side to side?

So, I guess I set my feet in an appropriate place in proximity to the ball, establish a posture that will bring ball-grass-ground into play as I deliver the swing-energy in the direction of the target, and then DELIVER that Energy, just as if it were a "rehearsal-swing"...

Not "thinking" about much of ANYTHING?
                          All the thinking was done BEFORE I considered taking the club away from the ball...

Hope that answers your question?
                          Love this place and you guys

dude abides
                          "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                          Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Working...
                          X