Pocket Guide to Wisdom Golf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Guide to Wisdom Golf

Firstly, as a new member I just wanted to say hello to everyone..

I have been having great fun watching the many great videos Shawn has done but I think like many when I get on the range or on the course, I go, hmm..what did Shawn say about that, I can't remember. Sure, I could just fire up a video on the Smart Phone which is ok on the range but on the course if you are playing with friends, sometimes you just need a quick and easy re-cap of the WIG fundamentals for any given situation.

With this is mind, I have decided to create my own little Pocket guide to Wisdom Golf that will be in PDF format 4" x 7" (landscape) that can be printed out , laminated and bound.
    See attachment below for what I have done so far.

How you can help?
    It's quite a long process to watch all the videos, take summary notes etc. If anyone has done something similar or has bullet point notes please share with me as it would save me a lot of time
    Any suggestions and feedback on format/presentation etc is most welcome.

Cheers
    Paul
    Attached Files

WIG Training Thoughts

Warm up your mind and body by target focus with Chips and Pitching before you start a full range session.

Things you need to work on all the time:

Feeling momentum, timing and tempo, Weight Shift (caused by the weight of the ACU shifting to the right and back to the left, make sure you keep this weight shift on the inside of your feet), Planting of the lead foot, Cycle of Momentum and Wait for the Weight. Feel the Dynamic Weight vs the Static Weight of the ACU. Ball on A String Static Weight is much lighter than it's twirling Dynamic Weight.

Target Focus. Dynamic vs Static. Pick a Target and a Flight to Target.

Always try and hit Fades and Draws. Never just try to hit a ball without a purpose or task. Fade = Square to the line I want to start the ball. Draw = Open to the line the ball starts on but Square to the end target. No Pre turn for Fades and Chips. Get behind the ball by Pre turning for Draws.

Alignment, Intermediate Points/Mile Markers for balance and contact. Ball Socket Systems of the Hips and Shoulders are parallel to each other. Use Goldilocks at address. Angular Motion.

RIBS = Rhythm, Impact, Balance, Strain Level.

Things you need to work on and improve one day at a time and monitor the results you are having on the items above.

Grip, Trigger Finger, (Index) right hand lower enough to get that separation and pressure against first knuckle of the Trigger Finger. Target and club face relationship.

Foot Work and Leg Work. By Lateral Motion. Suction Cups. Hip Joints on top of ankles. Staying flat footed is an alternative or option. Your weight, COG stays on the inside of your right and left feet during the Backswing and Through Swing, and during the Weight Shift back to the left leg/foot. Narrow stance is better Dynamically at setup.

Lower Case Y Setup. Pecs and Biceps are Connected. They disconnect during the Backswing and reconnect during the Through swing. Allow arms to swing freely to get Distance to Ball. Low point in front of ball for irons.

Sand Bag Posture. It is your quads and gluteus that apply pressure to the arches of your feet and support your golf swing, not your quads and calfs. You want to feel the heels of both feet support your swing. Braced Tilt/Tilted Spiral, Braced against the left leg by Leveraging of the trail/right leg against your forward side supports your head in its position behind the ball. The head is behind and the brace is on the left. Brace Tilt = Brace your Down and Through. Diagonal Stance is an option. Right hip lower than the left hip at setup and during your swing.

Hip Turn, You must clear the hips in a protruded and trapped position in regards to the chest and pelvis. As the hips clear the head stays back in the transition and during the through swing, which goes to the "balance portion". This protruded and trapped "position" is established and maintained with the protruded posterior (butt in the next county) with the chest trapped forward (lid on the pressure cooker or brick break analogy). Establishing and maintaining this protruded and trapped "position" is what also creates the "suction cup" feeling through the arches of the feet which gets to the bolted solid foundation we need for the "balance portion" not only "at the top of the turn," but throughout the entire swing. (Cally)

Anti-Sway Technology is about feet position, toed open. Gym Rope Drill. Swivel Up/Pivot, Battering Ram Drill = Left shoulder goes down and right shoulder goes up during the backswing and the opposite happens during the through swing. This is why it is a swivel up. Takeaway more away and up like a Ferris Wheel vs a Merry Go Around. A Wide backswing gets pulled more Upright. The club face should look at the ball as long as possible during the takeaway. If you "toss" to the REAR; rather than UP? the momentum generated by the toss "levitates" the ACU for you. Hogan Power Move, Anchor Your Swing. Steady Eyes helps to anchor your swing.

Center of Gravity. The right/trail leg should participate in your COG. Not maintaining COG will affect your direction and contact.

Head and Sternum Notch. 1st Pendulum. 20/20 Rule. The 20 Degrees Head Turn Away from target allows you to finish the backswing fully. The 20 Degrees Head Tilt allows you to feel you can swing towards target. The 20/20 puts a kink in your spine. As you turn in the backswing allow your tail bone to match up with your spine. At the top of the backswing everything is matched upped.

Getting Out Of The Way. Free Swinging Arms creates an Arc. Baton Twirl and loading energy of the arms. = As the right arm folds the arms should rotate as the wrists hinge on their Anatomical Snuff Boxes, keeping the left arm straight. The left arm will want to rotate and extend as the right arm folds. You will feel the tension in your left arm. 2nd Pendulum. Upward hinging of the wrists means you have given up control to gravity and you will be on plane. When the arms get pulled away from the body they will levitate. Supination, Pronation, Radius and Ulna bones of the forearm. Head of the Humerus bone (shoulder sockets)

No Crashing of the Arms, Swing Plane. Arms Fall past the body in both directions. Width = No Collapsing of the Right/Trail Arm Elbow. The power casting position is using the right arm loaded support. Sword Slash and Javelin Throw Analogies. PMD. Place or Toss.

Release-Hinge of the ACU and Leveraging of the hands. LAG. Feel the stretch of the tendons in both forearms when the wrists hinge during the Backswing and maintain the feel of the stretch until your Club releases you during the Through Swing. MOI = Moment Of Inertia. Baseball Swing acid test. Need strong grip = club face closed 45 degrees. The handle of the club should Fall Up. Battering Ram.

Then just go out and practice the drills. FTD, OLD and PMD

In between sessions go throw some clubs, get a grass whip and cut grass and dandelions. Get a Rhythm Ribbon and practice with it. Shawn recommends all of these tools and has published videos on how to go about training with them.

Perform the Perpetual motion drill (PMD) and feel how you are using the gluts and quads to push off the ground in each direction to heave it away and up into the backswing, then catch it with a squat on the way back down and then push off the ground again to heave it out to the target!" (Shawn Clement)

The proper tasks will lead you to the proper body positions in your golf swing.

Stay informed with WIG by watching all the latest videos and read everything on the forum.

Comment

Paul ..

with Gary on the case ..he's the 'de facto' archivist of the WIG trove of videos and teaching, you've connected with the 'right guy' ..Cally is also a great resource for this.. and is a tremendous help on navigating the now very deep WIG Waters!

a couple quick 'hits' on this stuff..in no particular order but in genuine hopes of saving you some time and effort..all of this is my opinion/observation ..your mileage and perception may well vary ..and that's more than OK ..

1. Shawn's 'system' is basically working towards helping a golfer build a body based/timed/aimed golf swing .. the main virtues are that it is easy to identify in terms of feel (great weight) and consistently time ..(always to body rotation)

2. WIG students trying to help one another will often say 'do the drills' ..they're not kidding ..if you're trying to make rapid progress in the system ..there's no other way to build the necessary feels to be able to have a confident action..it's got to be automatic. As they say 'do the pushups' ..the drills are the 'pushups' in this case. ..cognition alone probably will not get it done..but it will get it started.

3. Shawn will often work or frame his concepts in terms of analogies - these are extremely powerful ..but not all analogies will necessarily work for all students..there's a bunch of reasons why..but it's critical to know that analogies that work well for you and perhaps in your ultimate 'Pocket Guide' (love that concept!) may not necessarily be universal.. The key with this is to identify what works best for you and also finding your areas of opportunity for learning and matching which analogies and feels give you the best path towards mastery.

4. this probably should be #1 - but at least it's on my list. WIG is all about Target and Target Picture. Crucial that you create a sense of where you intend of wanting to send your action towards and combining that with the 'feels' of that 'body throw' to connect it together. I can't stress this enough..with short shots, put a line down between you and where you want to send your action (in WIG the ball is just 'in the way' and is 'collected' ) and have a very clear sense of how your body is organized to match that picture .. You need to know what that target picture looks and feels like and how you're in it.. the technique alone is not enough ..you need to know where you want it go.

probably the greatest stumbling block I have seen over the years here at WIG is the statement ..'I've got the action down ..just have to figure out how to aim it' ..which is exactly backwards..and will likely leave the prospective golfer in an absolute fog..

the clearer you can make sense of the 'where' ..and what that looks like for you over the ball ..the better you can match your growing technique and perhaps its analogous feels to it..

again ..my path is not your path, my perceptions and 'growth points' may well not fit into your learning needs/plans..

but the basics of all this don't really change..

hope this is of some help..

cheers for now

k_f
      from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
      tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Working...
      X