Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology and the Modern Golfer

Hi Everyone,

I really loved the video below. You can observe how Shawn was adapting and learning from his secession with the new GCQuad Launch Monitor.

As a golf instructor I believe Shawn is aware that you cannot sit ideally by and let technology pass you up in today’s world. As a student of golf, you cannot afford to either, especially if you are trying to get better.

We are all different; therefore, a golf method like WIG will have to continue to adapt. As surely as I write this post the swing methods that adapt to the individual golfer will survive and the swing methods that expect the student to adapt to their method will not.

I think technology will help us all in the modern golf world. However, as usual there are differences of opinion on how to use this new technology. See the article below.

onhttp://www.golfdigest.com/story/for-

Welcome to this new world of golf. When you hear terminology like Alpha, Beta and Gamma Torques describing parts of a Through Swing you know we have entered a new age of golf.

Thanks,

Gary

Great information. Wondering about the comment that the best golfers in the world "get weight on the left heel when striking the ball" and then seeing a video of Jordan Speith rolling his front foot.

Comment

Hi Ron,
      Hi Everyone,

“The best players in the world get their weight into their left heel. If your weight is going into your left toe, that’s something to look at,” (Claude Harmon III)

I am not sure what Mr. Harmon was referring to, but I have heard some instructors say when you set up in your golf stance you do not want to feel the weight going into your toes. Depending on your individual setup you want to feel the weight on the balls of your feet, or the arches of your feet or on the heels of your feet or a combination there of.

You are absolutely right Ron. Not all great players have the same golf swings and not all weekend golfers have the same swings either. Everyone is a little different from everyone else.

New technologies are helping to identify and classify these differences. Now a Pro Player like Jordan Spieth has the time and money to invest to make himself a better player. But do you really think that Jordan Spieth is going to try and copy from the greats like Jack Nicholas, Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan, or for that matter, any other player playing now or who played in the past. I don’t think so. He is working on his golf swing and trying to make his swing the best it can possibly be. In the end he will be rated on his swing, no one else’s.

As weekend golfers we also have to figure out what type of golf swing is going to fit our individual bodies so that our individual swing will make us the best weekend golfer possible. In the end it will be your swing that will define you, no one else’s.

This is where we all have to be careful. When we go and purchase a set of clubs that are designed and made for us, they are made only to improve our individual golf swings.

Some of the golf swing methods or instruction bring offered today are for a general category of students and are not for every individual golfer. New technologies being developed today will change this, so that a golfer will be offered a way to develop his or her individual swing just like her set of clubs were designed and made exclusively for her.

Thanks,
      Gary

Comment

Hi guys,

I thought I would put this Jordan video in here that primarily is about Jordan's supposed "chicken wing," but overall I think it goes to Gary's point where Jordan says that he doesn't really listen to what other people say. That is to say that his bent left arm works for him and his individual swing. And I think this goes to prove Gary's assessment that Jordan isn't trying to copy a swing of another golfer . . .

BTW, in this video you can also clearly see the left foot issue that Ron mentioned.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Jordan Spieth’s swing links up at his right side. His main power comes from his right side or post. His pivot and balance point is his right side.

His chicken wing is a Position of Power. See the video below.

Chicken Wing Golf Swing Fix : 12/18/2014

http://youtu.be/qiPGFk12oLY

"....the chicken wing is a position of leverage and power to compress through the ball through impact!" (Shawn Clement)

Thanks,
          Gary

Comment

• Ken Robie
            Ken Robie commented
            Editing a comment
            I am curious if there is a ball flight characteristic difference between the two styles of left side release. I.e. the fully extended release does it release with a later lag and a shallower divot with lower ball flight vs the "power chicken wing" ?

Hi Ken,

i am am not sure if I could answer your question correctly. Mabe some one else on the Forum could. What ever he is doing he is getting better at it. See the video below.

Comment

• Ken Robie
            Ken Robie commented
            Editing a comment
            Gary, I agree with the numbers he has been putting up, very impressive.
        Working...
        X