Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite drills and analogies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite drills and analogies?

What are your favorite drills and analogies? Here is a poll to get your feedback (multiple choices allowed). I couldn't use the poll feature of the forum because the number of choices is too limited. I created a Google Form instead. You can view all the results after answering. All anonymous. I'll publish the final result. Please let me know if you want me to add new choices to the list. And do not hesitate to explain your choice if you feel like it...

https://goo.gl/forms/iM01BLEw86uNI6yv1

For information, I used Gary 's blogs about drills and analogies to compile the list.

https://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/b...tes/542-drills
    https://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/b...8714-analogies

My favorite drill at a time was to swing through a volley ball. It gives me a good address position. I prefer an object that can move like a volley ball (vesus cutting a tree) because I can also have a target to send the volley ball to. My favorite is now the ball on a string analogy. This is what I felt recently in my swing and it really talks to me know.

Comment

2 answers so far. Not a very successful poll...

Click image for larger version

Name:	poll analogies.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	10594

Comment

I supplied one answer on poll - throwing the club. Basically, for full swing I feel like I am going to throw (with all the momentum gathered), the weight of my ACU along a target line out there.

However, in chipping, that doesn't work at all for me. Cutting grass is great there, but it absolutely sabotages my full swing. As soon as any of my target attention is diverted in full swings to the ball/grass area as in chipping - terrible results.

Opposite in chipping, where all I need to do is make an efficient grass cut in target direction with goldilocks established effort.

Finally, perpetual motion drill is my actual favorite part of a WIG game. I find it keeps me loose and maintains my swing feels in this old body without having to strike actual balls.
        Wiggle....
        Waggle....
        Wobble....

Comment

I've chosen several :
          Crane and Wrecking Ball - improves the feel of the dynamic weight of the arm/club unit in the backswing
          PMD - limits any manipulation and lets my body choose which muscles need to be automatically engaged to fit my target focus intent. I can also make a judgement of where the the ball needs to be in my PMD swing path to fit my intent.
          Feet Together - I use in chipping/pitching like a mini trebuchet
          Kid On A Swing - I use as another short chipping/pitching method. This is where my left/right arm feels like a piece of string (ie, when I do the PMD for chipping/pitching) in the backswing, but I add an almost subconscious assist/push with my right hand during transition (after 'wait for the weight') to get the momentum I require. I find this is a better method for me when the ball is in rougher conditions and I need a bit more zip with a shorter backswing.
          Throwing The Club - I don't really throw clubs but I do imagine I have a 'magnetic lie angle tool ' stuck to the clubface (especially when I'm chipping/pitching) and that I am throwing with enough momentum to dislodge/throw the 'magnetic line angle tool' to the target (sometime I think of a heavy penny stuck to the clubface and that is being thrown to the target during my release' ).

Comment

This is a great topic thread, Ferko. It would be interesting to hear what drills others like.

Like others, I have a few favorites.
            I like the PMD and I sometimes use this and the Elephant Walk to try to get the feel of rhythm in my swing.
            I use Cutting the Grass and Throwing the Club as swing thoughts in my preshot routine.. I do add the swing thought TO THE TARGET as I take my practice swing.
            I like the Feet Together drill to help me focus on turning my shoulders and getting my back turned toward the target.

PS: I forgot about the Crane and Wrecking Ball, Schrodinger. You make an excellent point about it.

Comment

5 persons answered (multiple choices).

Name:	poll.JPG
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	10607

Comment

6 respondents.

Name:	poll.JPG