Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xperon Golf Balls

Hi Everyone,

Here is an interesting video about golf balls.

Xperon Golf Balls
    February 5, 2018
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ASRKYajL0w

Very cool new Golf Ball I just played with at Pelican Bay and had 5 birdies on the front 9 with them! Feel great, sound great and they have a very cool niche! Xperon balls, check this video out! (Shawn Clement)

WOW Gary! That was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Many moons ago, I used to spin my balls in Epsom Salts (buoyancy) and marked them accordingly....

Years later, there was a "centrifugal spinning" machine (think electric-pencil-sharpener? )

What I found that over the years, manufacturers had gotten MUCH better at producing "balanced" balls?

But this XPERON concept really intrigues me?

WHERE can you GET these balls?

dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Cally
      Cally commented
      Editing a comment
      An another thought . . . how long does a perfectly "balanced" golf ball stay that way after repeated compressed strikes by a tour level player? It seems to me that after so many beatings from someone like a Dustin Johnson, a perfectly "balanced" ball won't stay "balanced" for very long!

• COSTA103
      COSTA103 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cally.......that's why those guys change balls ever couple of holes or so.....

I, on the other hand, have difficulty deforming a donut-hole?

• Cally
      Cally commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense Dude! I always thought when they changed balls during a round it was primarily due to scuff marks on the cover. That's what I figured they were/are looking for when you see them inspect the ball right after they're done putting, before they move on to the next hole.

Hi Dude,

I found this link. They are on Facebook.

Xperon Golf USA

Xperon Golf USA

Comment

Hi guys,
      Please help me out here? I think I may have done a bit of an "about-face" on this ball?

I was originally very jazzed about this XPeron ball concept. However, upon further reflection, I've come up with this question....

IF you suspend a ball in the liquid (as pictured) and the SAME spot ALWAYS comes up to the Top.....
      Doesn't that mean that the HEAVY portion of the ball is always on the BOTTOM???
      Doesn't that suggest that the ball is UNEVENLY balanced?

To determine if that is true, one merely does a SECOND test?

IF a DIFFERENT point comes to the top, I would postulate that the ball is "perfectly" balanced and the point that rises to the top is a matter of Random Chance...

Said another way, the ball is NOT "biased" in one direction or the other?

In which case, the ORIENTATION of the Alignment-Line does NOT matter?
      Because ANY and ALL of the possible orientations would be EQUALLY valid?

So, the XPeron putting-alignment concept is either irrelevant OR indicative of an OUT-OF-BALANCE ball?
      (in which case, I'd posit that it has value?)

Am I MISSING something here WIG-brothers and sisters?
      Help me out here!

I'm totally uncomfortable in this "about-face" posture....

TIA
      dude abides
      Last edited by COSTA103; 02-10-2018, 03:01 PM.

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
        IF a DIFFERENT point comes to the top, I would postulate that the ball is "perfectly" balanced and the point that rises to the top is a matter of Random Chance...
        Very good point. Tried at home but realised the balls wouldn't stay afloat. I obviously should have known that, given the number of balls I lost in the lake around the 16/17 and 18th holes of my home course ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	balls.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	10930

Used nearly all the salt available at home but couldn't get the ball to go up a bit. They must have a huge amount of salt in the Dead Sea! Will try again tomorrow if I have the time to buy more salt.

Comment

• COSTA103
          COSTA103 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Ferko,
          Thanks for chiming in!
          Hope the rest of my Crackpot National foursome chime in as well?

Try EPSOM salts for your test.
          (not sure "regular" table-salt will suffice

I'm sure OTHER fluids will work as well?
          Maybe motor-oil? or other high-viscosity fluid?

dude abides

Said another way, the ball is NOT "biased" in one direction or the other?
        Dude,

I think you have it right when you say if a DIFFERENT point (with each test) comes to the top then the ball is "perfectly" balanced and is not "biased" in one direction or the other.

Here's a video showing as much with the salt water solution method that you mentioned earlier . . .

Comment

• COSTA103
          COSTA103 commented
          Editing a comment
          I first heard of this technique from Dave Pelz' book PUTT LIKE THE PROS; pub 1989
          To this day, one of the most interesting golf-books I have ever read.

dude abides

So what does that say about the tray full of XPERON balls at which our Chairman was looking in Gary's original video above?

IF the "putting-line-printing" ALWAYS comes up top (as it appears in the video?) does that mean that ALL their balls have a HEAVY point at the bottom and are, therefore, UNbalanced?

I'm going to have to re-think this....
        Perhaps our esteemed Chairman will chime in and give us HIS two-cents?

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

So what does that say about the tray full of XPERON balls at which our Chairman was looking in Gary's original video above?

IF the "putting-line-printing" ALWAYS comes up top (as it appears in the video?) does that mean that ALL their balls have a HEAVY point at the bottom and are, therefore, UNbalanced?

I'm going to have to re-think this....
          Perhaps our esteemed Chairman will chime in and give us HIS two-cents?

dude abides
          I'm with you Dude . . . I wasn't able to answer your question in your previous post because I didn't know what to conclude either.

It seems we are both missing something here.

Comment

• Cally
            Cally commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude, when it comes to Xperon, is it their premise that there is no such thing as a "perfectly balanced" golf ball in the first place?

When you did the salt water test in the past what percentage of golf balls had a DIFFERENT point come to the top each time compared to those that had the SAME point come to the top each time?

• COSTA103
            COSTA103 commented
            Editing a comment
            Cally,
            I truthfully do not remember if I even DID multiple tests/ball?
            It wasn't until the centrifugal-spinner did I notice that if I spun it multiple times, I got multiple, random LINES?
            (the ball became visually distracting with multiple lines?)
            It was then that I conceded to the improving manufacturing processes and stopped "balancing" balls?
            I'm going to have to REVISIT the Epsom-salts testing and seek an answer to your excellent question.

As far as "UN-balanced" balls vs. putting?
            I'm not sure that it matters PROVIDED you understand WHERE the LINE of rotation is?
            In that sense, the XPeron putting-line concept makes more sense.
            An unbalanced ball will roll MORE TRUE if it is "end-over-end".
            Pelz determined that.

On a related note, the Aerodynamic test that XPeron does for their 4-piece Urethane (pro) ball is a separate issue that appears to have Merit?

dude abides

• Cally
            Cally commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Dude (and other interested parties),

I just conducted my own salt water test on 8 new golf balls that I had left in my golf bag from last season.

The first thing I noticed is it took more Epsom Salt than I thought it would to get the golf balls to float. But that aside, of the 8 I tested, after placing a black dot on the top exposed part after the first spin, 3 of them came back to DIFFERENT spots on successive spins; 4 of them came back to the SAME spot on successive spins; and 1 of them came back to the SAME spot and also MATCHED the putting line stamped on by the manufacturer.

So is this the culprit for too many 3 putts? Something tells me it's more about me than it is the golf ball, but maybe there is something to be said for having a "balanced" golf ball with a putting line that matches.

Hi guys,
          Comforting to know that Cally is pretty close to as weirdo as me?

I would have beat him to the test-punch, but I did not have any Epsom Salts in the house? I had to go BUY some?!?!

Here's MY results:

12 brand new Bridgestone RXS right out of the box....

I got NONE to stop on the SAME spot....

Three stopped in THREE random places, BUT all three in a (reasonably) straight line, relative to one another?

Nine stopped in THREE random places, with a "bias" to one side....
          A FOURTH spin of those balls yielded THREE points "in a row"

My conclusion on THIS box of Bridgestone RXS balls is that I found NO reason to question their collective Balance?

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Cally
            Cally commented
            Editing a comment
            I did feel like a nerd when I was conducting my test. Were you wearing a white lab coat and protective glasses while conducting your test Dude?

Seriously though, it was an interesting test!

BTW, mine were the Chrome Soft.

Another interesting video.

Comment

• Cally
            Cally commented
            Editing a comment
            Another good video Gary!

BTW, I should have mentioned that in my test the golf balls turned/spun very slowly, so that is a good sign!

Amazing. Now to get my dubya d 40.

I wonder if the balance ratio stays the same after a good few crushes with a driver ?
          Last edited by Gmonkey; 02-12-2018, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• COSTA103
            COSTA103 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you can't find your WD40, Pelz, in his 1989 book in which I first discovered this concept, suggests using a few drops of the Rinsing Agent that you use in your DISHWASHER?
        Working...
        X