Brace and Weight Shift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace and Weight Shift

I have always struggled with putting this concept into practice. I can execute the feet together drill competently and the one-legged drill pretty well. The problem I have always seem to have is moving the feels from those drills into the regular swing. During the one-leg drill especially there is a very distinct feeling of pivoting around your front hip socket. With the regular feet apart in order to get this same feel it seems to me that I have to keep what seems to be a disproportionate amount of weight on/over my front leg/hip. While the feel is similar to the one-leg drill it just never seemed right to me. I always perceived this as getting dangerously close to stack and tilt or reverse pivot territory. Additionally I couldn't reconcile this feel with how some lift the front heel during the swing. It felt if I had that much weight over the front leg/hip there is no way I would be able to lift the heel in the back swing.

Shawn's recent video with his daughter got me thinking about this again however. One thing he said in particular, "The back leg's job is to keep you compressed against the front.", set my neurons firing. That in combination of having her do a "hybrid" between a one-leg and two-leg got me thinking that maybe I should reassess the sensation of weight in the lower body being over the front throughout. But that, as I said, confuses me as if that is the sensation throughout the swing then where is the "shift"?

Hi JMS546,

There are plenty of videos by Shawn on this subject. I will get these videos for you. I should have some time tomorrow. I bet if Cally is reading this post he will have some videos and info about this subject. The weight must be shared between both legs. You should not attempt to keep the majority of your weight on your front leg in a feet apart swing.

Thanks,
    Gary

Comment

Here are some videos to review.

Gary started a blog post WEIGHT SHIFT
      05-31-2015, 10:11 AM

Comment

Originally posted by JMS546 View Post
        I have always struggled with putting this concept into practice. I can execute the feet together drill competently and the one-legged drill pretty well. The problem I have always seem to have is moving the feels from those drills into the regular swing. During the one-leg drill especially there is a very distinct feeling of pivoting around your front hip socket. With the regular feet apart in order to get this same feel it seems to me that I have to keep what seems to be a disproportionate amount of weight on/over my front leg/hip. While the feel is similar to the one-leg drill it just never seemed right to me. I always perceived this as getting dangerously close to stack and tilt or reverse pivot territory. Additionally I couldn't reconcile this feel with how some lift the front heel during the swing. It felt if I had that much weight over the front leg/hip there is no way I would be able to lift the heel in the back swing.

Shawn's recent video with his daughter got me thinking about this again however. One thing he said in particular, "The back leg's job is to keep you compressed against the front.", set my neurons firing. That in combination of having her do a "hybrid" between a one-leg and two-leg got me thinking that maybe I should reassess the sensation of weight in the lower body being over the front throughout. But that, as I said, confuses me as if that is the sensation throughout the swing then where is the "shift"?
        Hi JMS,

Just to add to what Gary said, and his Blog on Weight Shift, with a full swing there's a definite weight shift (or pressure transfer) from the front leg to the rear leg as you pivot into the backswing. Then in the transition the weight shifts back to the lead side.

Even when you set-up with the braced tilt with about 60% (or even 70%) of the weight braced against the inside (not on top) of the lead foot, when you pivot into the backswing, staying inside the rear foot (no sway), the rear leg will get loaded with as much as 70% weight/pressure or more before it shifts back to the lead side in the transition.

Now Shawn has mentioned that it may "feel" to you that your weight (or pressure) has remained against the lead side throughout because you can only focus on one side of the body at a time. Here's the video where he mentions/explains this (starting at the 3:40 mark) . . .

Shawn has a bunch more videos on weight shift that can be posted if you want, but here's something else that should help you bridge the gap between the feels of the feet together/one leg drills that you can do well to the feet apart swing . . .

Hope this helps!

Comment

Cally,

That first video (I've been following Shawn at least 10 years now, guess it got lost in the shuffle) is exactly what I am talking about. Funny how the reverse pivot fear I mentioned was even in there. The reason I struggled with this for so long is that when I started playing I fought a sway and coming from almost 18 years of baseball training it is practically programmed into me to be on my back foot at the start of the swing so I often get stuck often or spin out. Or to put it in baseball terms I find myself "stepping in the bucket". The only thing that has allowed me to survive this long is my strength and coordination. I can get passable results buy saving the swing with my upper body. But I'm getting into the my 40's now and even though I work out at least 3 times a week I know I can't rely on strength and coordination forever to save me from my WIG sins.

Comment

Hi JM

you've already heard from the actual WIG 'Brain Trust' with the well thought out, researched and documented responses from Cally & Gary.. and I'll offer another tip of the well worn golf cap to them again today..

so I have little to contribute .. but maybe a bit of a thought question to over elaborate on the whole weight shift and footwork thing(s).

so 'riddle me this' .. JM and WIG Friends near & far..

we know that there is a brace/tilt available in WIG .. and there is some weight that is braced apparently into the inside of the lead foot..

so where does the actual weight come from that is 'shifted' and we know ends up on the rear foot?

let me flash you back to some other WIG or Proto-WIG videos and/or concepts that Shawn had put forth about 10 years ago. Think about the descriptions of the ACU or Arm Club Unit.. it's the big, HEAVY, weight that moves like a pendulum that we have to get out of the way of..

let me back up a step..

what happens is that we so often can get busy trying to move the body or get the footwork right or find a position ..when the actual thing is literally right in front of us..

we stand braced against a heavy ACU that is going to go into motion and THAT WEIGHT will then be felt and loaded onto the back foot . the fact that you're counterbalanced against it to stay balanced is not an accident..
            and even then.. your lead foot might come up a little.. and then be firmly planted again ..cueing you to 'hip bump' and get out of the way of that big HEAVY WEIGHT now falling the other way..

the Centri-forces .. in actuality .. centripetal force which puts the speed into the clubhead does the rest ..

you don't so much move your body weight .. you feel the weight of your body being loaded by the combined mass of your arms, golf club and motion. the weight is a bit 'outside' of you and is working on its own arc..

you just happen to feel it and respond to it..

you don't have to do it that way .. there are many ways to go about the golf swing.. but I believe that this is the applied physics and technique that makes up the WIG swing ..

hope that this little ramble is of some help to you in taking some conceptual steps in your own golf journey.

cheers for now

k_f

here's a vintage classic

heavy arms falling ..

very early tilted super spiral ..

Shawn has moved into different areas of description and instruction with more of a Task type of illustration.. but some of these early videos are great if you're trying to see how he thought through and built what he now offers ..

I'm hoping that these videos will work with the concepts that Gary & Cally shared earlier
            Last edited by kid_fullerene; 06-26-2018, 08:40 PM. Reason: added videos
            from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
            tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Originally posted by JMS546 View Post
              Cally,

That first video (I've been following Shawn at least 10 years now, guess it got lost in the shuffle) is exactly what I am talking about. Funny how the reverse pivot fear I mentioned was even in there. The reason I struggled with this for so long is that when I started playing I fought a sway and coming from almost 18 years of baseball training it is practically programmed into me to be on my back foot at the start of the swing so I often get stuck often or spin out. Or to put it in baseball terms I find myself "stepping in the bucket". The only thing that has allowed me to survive this long is my strength and coordination. I can get passable results buy saving the swing with my upper body. But I'm getting into the my 40's now and even though I work out at least 3 times a week I know I can't rely on strength and coordination forever to save me from my WIG sins.
              JMS,

I know exactly what you mean about the reverse pivot fear.

As far as your baseball background and being programed to be on your back foot at the start of the swing, here's something that Shawn has addressed fairly recently that might work very well for you where he shows how Henrik Stenson starts his swing with more pressure on his back foot at the start of the swing (starting just before the 7:45 mark) . . .

This move fits in with Shawn's walking drill and the whole weight shift issue. Give this a try and see how it works for you!

Comment

• Schrodinger
                Schrodinger commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a great video by Shawn and he's showing that when we pivot , we use similar mechanics that we use for walking . That is we 'unweight' the lead leg in the backswing to let our COM cause us to fall forward. But in the golf swing (unlike walking where we are trying to move forward) we must not let ourselves fall too much forwards before we 'catch' ourselves with the lead foot/leg because we want to keep the centre of our arms swing (ie. the Sternum Notch) as stable as possible.

What Shawn is demonstrating is something (ie. the timing of the catching of the fall) we have done all our lives . Its a pity that conventional golf instruction didn't teach us to 'utilise/program our brains' with our 'natural fall' in the golf swing many years ago.

PS. I forgot to add that the swinging of our arms is also synched up with our natural walk , so if we do allow ourselves to fall naturally our rhythm should improve too.
                Last edited by Schrodinger; 06-28-2018, 07:08 AM.

Thanks Kid,

I know what you, Shawn and other are saying about the weight of the ACU being counterbalanced is what is the real "weight shift". I feel this quite distinctly when doing a little chip stroke where it is very evident that the backside is swinging opposite of the ACU. However moving to a full swing that feeling goes out the window. My hypothesis why that is is that with the smaller chip less muscles in the upper body are engaged where as more/bigger muscles are engaged as the swing becomes bigger. As that happens my awareness of that weight dissipates.

Anywho, I've revisited the braced super spiral and have been swinging my swing caddy at home with an awareness of bracing against the front instep throughout the swing. Really feels like I am loading up then unwinding around that post. Brings to mind this picture of Johnny Miller:

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                kid_fullerene commented
                Editing a comment
                JM

maybe try just taking the club to the 'top' or your feeling of completed backswing and just feel it drop down in free fall and see how it feels .. my guess is that you might be taking the club back more with your hands/arms than you realize and lose the sense of where/when the fall might be.. Shawn has it falling in both directions .. so what you might try after letting it fall from your top.. as have it fall from your full finish into your backswing.. my thought would be that those feels may help you get the 'trigger' of how the body turn translates into the 'loaded arms' .. truly seems like you have so much of it .. keep looking .. I suspect that it's closer than it might appear

cheers

k_f

JM

this is one of Shawn's earliest ..and yet seems to speak pretty directly to what you're pursuing..

the fall into the top video I'll probably need Gary or Cally to locate.. but it might also be of some help illustrating the concept..

also if Mickle looks at this one - Shawn talks about the grip pressure relative to the changes of state in the swing (arm extension and snap proportional to weight of the clubhead) ..

cheers

k_f
              from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
              tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Hi JMS,

as promised here ste addition videos to help you.

Braced Tilt Key You Are Missing in Your Golf Game.
                June 10, 2017
                https://youtu.be/QVaa9LGVGI4

Hogan Reflections - Diagonal Stance
                August 12, 2016
                https://youtu.be/Bqn9w6pxkQQ

Diagonal Stance Part 2
                July 6, 2017
                https://youtu.be/h_l4AHZmcsU

The 20/20 Videos

Head Position and Lag
                February 28, 2013
                http://youtu.be/h5aA_my8yio

Best Lower Body Action In The Backswing
                February 13, 2014
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D4_tDZjX1w&sns=em

The Pendulums’ Videos

Golf's Double Pendulum:
                December 11, 2012
                http://youtu.be/gQdaPVC8yYM

Two-Faced Focus
                January 8, 2013
                http://youtu.be/EMOCkc-kwt8

Two-Faced Focus Part 2
                January 13, 2013
                http://youtu.be/F3zGtmGf7tw

The Baton Twirl Videos

Baton Twirl base
                January 20, 2015
                http://youtu.be/04yrg4jDmFc

Baton Part 2 with Hero
                January 27, 2015
                http://youtu.be/SkRMFm2o36Q

Wisdom In Golf Live! Videos

Wisdom In Golf Live Episode 8
                February 24, 2014
                https://youtu.be/wwgeXb9Wyv4

Wisdom In Golf Live Episode 14
                May 6, 2014
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6ybSIgu0Y&sns=em

The Tasks’ Videos

The Move
                June 12, 2017
                https://youtu.be/n1DXPfJy24w
                Starting The Swing
                June 22, 2017
                https://youtu.be/HJuLb32APT0
                Turn and Tilt
                June 26, 2017
                https://youtu.be/XPIMedbi2EY
                Initial Move Away from the Ball
                July 13, 2017
                https://youtu.be/QBcHFLkdv7s
                How to Finish the Backswing
                July 20, 2017
                https://youtu.be/xn_hrer5i4A

Backswing Wrist Hinge Early or Late
                February 8, 2018
                https://youtu.be/yABzZgTUjyM

Last edited by Gary; 06-28-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

So I went to the range last night to really work on feeling braced against the inside of the front side throughout the swing. I can say that I believe I have turned a corner where that is concerned. Once I kept in mind that I need to stay braced the unwinding from the top of the back swing seemed to happen automagically. The other aspect I found was that I need to make sure I am "keeping the lid on the pressure cooker" as Shawn described it. Here and there I thinned a shot because I lost awareness of this piece. Now I believe I am at a place where I just have to refine the brace and pre-turn. However getting this piece in place has made me aware of an ACU issue (thanks to Kid for the awareness here) that I need to address. But that is a new post.

Comment

Working...
                  X