Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help I've went from a chronic slicer to creating a "Hook Monster" and can't get back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I've went from a chronic slicer to creating a "Hook Monster" and can't get back?

This was part of an email I received from a friend. We used to work together until he transferred to another part of the country.

"Long story short; went from being a chronic slicer to a snap hooker. When I say hook I mean Sandy Koufax didn't have a curve this good! It was kind of gradual in that I slowly stopped my banana slice...ahhh...all was good!...but that was only short-lived! At first I was excited to hit a bit of a draw but quickly this turned into a snap hook. Now I can't stop nearly every shot from snap hooking. Drivers and irons. I can even hook a pitching wedge! What are some strategies to help get me back to the middle ground?"

W
    hat might be the best advice I could give him? I sent him a link to this site so hopefully he'll chime in or at least take a look.

Originally posted by K5thbeatle View Post
    This was part of an email I received from a friend. We used to work together until he transferred to another part of the country.

"Long story short; went from being a chronic slicer to a snap hooker. When I say hook I mean Sandy Koufax didn't have a curve this good! It was kind of gradual in that I slowly stopped my banana slice...ahhh...all was good!...but that was only short-lived! At first I was excited to hit a bit of a draw but quickly this turned into a snap hook. Now I can't stop nearly every shot from snap hooking. Drivers and irons. I can even hook a pitching wedge! What are some strategies to help get me back to the middle ground?"

W
    hat might be the best advice I could give him? I sent him a link to this site so hopefully he'll chime in or at least take a look.
    Hi K -

great to see you around again - hope all is well and I'm sure your friend is appreciative of your help and support ..

Golf is a game that seems solitary .. in actuality ... it's very much about a shared journey ..especially good with friends.. I think it was Harvey Penick who said famously, 'if you play golf, you're my friend..' .

playing with a friend who knows you and your swing can be an enormous benefit and safeguard to keeping one's swing on track .. so often, when one is off track, a friendly, familiar and practiced eye can make a good suggestion and the golf stars that once seemed so unforgiving..suddenly are realigned.

had that happen a couple times to me this year -- a golfing friend got me out of an alignment/aim issue ..where I was striking it well, convinced I was blocking the ball and just was a simple case of aiming a bit too right..

so in that spirit .. let's try and pull a game plan together for your friend and colleague..

sight unseen - but a pretty solid 'word picture' in the message --

sure sounds like a wicked case of 'early extension' that was being saved by an overly strong core rotation ..

so the slice was being caused by either coming over hard (best guess given that he is now hitting it left) or in combination with early arm extension to try and save the shot.. so with the arms extended ..

your friend basically was enterprising and learned a move to generate some power by rotating his body hard through the ball .. at first .. that would be OK as the day is saved..and it can be played to well enough.

but like any other fragile bit of personal swing engineering ..

when one starts to seek power out of a fragile package... other faults seem to emerge..

the great .. 'how did that just happen???" moment .. and who among us has never been there??

so there are a couple ways to potentially approach this that I can think of..

One key - and it's a cliche' that I'm somewhat known for among long time readers of the various incarnations of the WIG Forum..

here it comes.. the One Leg Drill ..

yep - I said it.. O.L.D.

going to be hard to overpower a balanced lead leg .. it can be done.. but you'll immediately see where you're losing balance.. try it .. you don't even need a golf club.. get on one leg, balance on the toe of your rear leg and try to extend your arms and turn hard.. be careful .. it will be a little dicey ..

a bunch of short shots into a specific set of targets to get a sense of directing your intention and a bit of compression.

the goal would be to get a sense of synchronizing your arms to the core of your body..

if you and he are followers of WIG .. Shawn has some great videos on Arm/Body Timing & Stopping Early Extension..

as the long term goal would be to move your friend past the immediate issue and on to a sense of what elements are going to be part of a proper swing going forward..

for now - let's see if we can get him aware of where the 'swing fault' is coming from .. you're welcome to have him or you post some video or Private Message me and I'll be glad to have a look and make some other suggestions..

Shawn also provides that sort of analysis as a service - and it might make best sense for him to work with a Pro with literally a lifetime of lessons to give him guidance ..

but there are always options .. and places to begin and work from!

have a great holiday .. the very best to you and yours

cheers for now

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

One Leg Drill updated now attached

and stop early extension .. with the 2 objects .. which is also a fantastic exercise.. keeps you committed down line..

cheers

k_f
      from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
      tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Working...
      X