Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flowers in the dirt

Hi WIG Friends..

'borrowed' .. well, more accurately have misappropriated an album title from Sir Paul McCartney for this - periodically I stumble across golf moments that defy easy categorization - but are more than worthy of noting .. and sharing

here's one to begin with..

what became the last long form interview with the King...

some wonderful moments with Jim Nantz ..

cheers for now..

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Hi WIG Friends..

Thought I might have a 'go' at throwing some 'mental breadcrumbs' that I think I've spotted in the universe that seem to have unusual comparisons to a golf swing..

this is among my favorites, and it's likely I've posted it here before.. but it's 2 seconds.. probably won't take up too much additional physical, mental or conceptual room

anybody see in this little clip any useful comparisons to a golf swing..??

cheers for now

k_f
    tu nunquam hic

Comment

I'll throw this one out there as a WIG Swing..

reminds me a bit of a certain someone ..who was renowned for his Charisma & Swagger

maybe it's just the 'out of the wayness'..

cheers for now

k_f
      tu nunquam hic

Comment

was watching a few episodes on the Golf Channel last night and saw a very unique looking golf swing

Matthew Wolff - part of the Cowboys NCAA Championship Team..

and when I saw his action ..it immediately reminded me of this golf swing:

the Legendary Jimmy Bruen..

years apart

different continents ..

and such a unique looking action ..

cheers WIG Friends

k_f
        tu nunquam hic

Comment

and now, for 2019

a reading from the book of Feynman

Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible.

time to find your own irreverence and originality..

the new season is nearly upon us .. just a matter of celebrating what is good in the world and bring in the new year with some grace and humility..

cheers for now

k_f
          tu nunquam hic

Comment

and to try and keep up a bit of a WIG forum tradition ..

it can't be a proper holiday without this ..

and for those of us who had a few small bumps in 2018 -you're all good..

spend it on some new gear, or lessons with Shawn or ..
            tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

here's a YouTube Channel that might be worth a view and perhaps a follow .

his journeys take me to places that I might not otherwise have a hope of seeing.. watched a few over the holiday break and here's one from the 11th Oldest Golf Course in the World, the original parts of it designed by Old Tom ..

how many among us can say they've had that experience?

Perhaps in 2019 some of us will ..and until the day that you can .. have a look ..

cheers for now

k_f
              tu nunquam hic

Comment

There's talk that Honma will be in the bags of some well-known players in 2019..

amazing clubs -

I know that some swear by Mizuno..

and there's always Miura.. which makes clubs for Pros often branded as Titleist Forged..

but Honma is entering the game directly..

could get interesting..

cheers

k_f
                tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi Guys

here's a nice summary of some of the new rule changes for this year..

all seem designed to speed play and make aspects of the game less penal ..

hope these help you enjoy faster and more pleasant golf in 2019

cheers

k_f
                  tu nunquam hic

Comment

HI WIG Friends

just a quick bit of magic from Dr. Brian May .. who has kept his side business going for some years..

and a look at how our favorite force .. GRAVITY is working even at the furthest reaches of our little Solar System..

we're seeing now some objects that no one has ever seen ..

2019 .. opens on a high note..

here's an early view .. more I'm sure will arrive from the edges of what we see as 'our' space .. wonder if there is

tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

This one is a little tricky to link to Golf .. let alone the instruction of the great game ..

but here's my attempt ..

borrowing The Chairman's concept of 'out of the way' .. what or who is 'in the way' .. ??

let's suppose for a second that it might be 'worry' .. and while Golf has more of a team element to it than anybody could ever imagine (does any other sport include a 'Caddie' for example?)

ultimately we're alone .. with our thoughts..

but what if we could find a way for the mind to 'quiet itself' .. and be rid of the addiction to thoughts.. and 'books about books about books about books'..??

sometimes you need to be 'in the minute' (or in the 'second')

as opposed to being 'caught up in the moment'

so what needs to be set 'out of the way' ..

it may not all be physical..

cheers

k_f
                      tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi guys,
                        Thanks kid...
                        A good and valuable New Year's "resolution" of sorts, if you will? Happy New Year to all of Crackpot National!

I think it has EVERYTHING to do about Golf!
                        I have said many times on this very Forum that our Chairman's concept of "get-out-of-the-way" is the singularly most BRILLIANT concept in the history of golf-instruction-concepts.
                        I have also suggested on several of those occasions that, not only must we remove the PHYSICAL impediment (torso) that interferes with the full freedom of arm swing, but we must ALSO remove the MENTAL impediment that interferes with our ability to maintain our INTENTION (or "task) on point.

Improvement in anything requires change. In learning this great game, not only must we learn how to CHANGE the way we SWING, but we must also learn how change the way we THINK!

That can prove to be most difficult to do, yet I believe it to be at the very ROOT of most, if not all, of our golf-shot-miscues.
                        Achieving a "quiet mind" can be daunting.
                        Mental distraction is everywhere.

As a first step toward that daunting path, might I suggest that you commit to THINKING more POSITIVELY rather than negatively?

Mental distraction is bothersome, but NEGATIVE mental thoughts can be DOUBLY damaging?

Every time you visualize your golf-picture, make sure that you are previewing the ball splitting the upcoming fairway and kicking into your VERY-specifically chosen location...

When you top the ball down the middle of the fairway, take POSITIVE solace in how STRAIGHT you hit it. Give no more than a passing observation of how inadequately you struck it?

Rather than fear the possible outcome of your upcoming trouble-shot, relish what you can learn about yourself that this awkward opportunity provides. Look forward to how great escaping from this dilemma will make you feel?

Thinking positively or negatively is up to you. Either way is a CHOICE.
                        And if you believe as I do that your THOUGHTS contribute to (or perhaps even CREATE) the REALITY that ultimately is presented to you...
                        It makes little sense to think negatively?

If you KNEW that how you were thinking CREATED what was going to happen to you, would you EVER think another negative thought as long as you live?
                        What IS the lure or the Value in negatively thinking anyway?

Be water, my friends

dude abides

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                        Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                          kid_fullerene commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dude

thanks for taking this 'next level' - awesome insight and it's such important set of distinctions on how a mental state creates a reality - great stuff..

and 2019 is off to a proper start..

cheers

k_f

Since we are talking about the effects of our attitude impacting the results of our task outcome for the game of golf, could we not also assume that an imbalance of "unrealistic positive thinking" might be just as harmful as the negative extreme? Where as if we approached the current shot task with logical and individualistically capable results based on the laws of environmental physics, with a focus on neither positive or negative thought, successful or unsuccessful results, but only on what must happen to achieve task objectives, the human hormonal influence would be considerably reduced??

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

stumbled into this video about determining which golf ball (essential equipment according to 'He Who Must Abide') and thought that this particular approach made some sense and might be worth your valuable time..

in particular - he starts with how the ball works on the Green - which makes absolute sense.. and yet, is literally the last place I've ever started with an evaluation.. ah well, learn something new every day!

I've been playing the Callaway Chrome Soft for the past few years, likely to stick with it yet again in 2019..

hope whatever your ball is this year - that it gets you around in fewer shots than in 2018.

cheers for now

k_f

Here's one that also expands on this concept.. and gives a more concrete method to try and externalize the approach to ball selection

a link to resources from Titleist:

https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-ball-fitting

Callaway's
                          https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-ball-selector/

Bridgestone:

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/find-my-ball

Srixon

https://www.srixon.com/us/golf-ball-fitting.html

TaylorMade (note: I played the Penta for some time ..and loved that ball, would go back if I could find something close again! .. played a lot like the ProV)

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/golf-ball-selector.html

Hope that helps your respective searches.. there are also resources from these manufacturers that are localized for other parts of the world - so depending on where you are,

there are tools to help you..

k_f

Last edited by kid_fullerene; 4 weeks ago. Reason: added Ball Fitting video and links to resources
                          tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi guys,
                            Thanks, kid for the videos. Nice of you to "acknowledge" me in that post?

However, let me remind the faithful members of Crackpot National that ANY ball-manufacturer-SPONSORED video is going to try and CONVINCE you that THEIR ball is the BEST ball?

Having said that, I DO agree with the original gentleman that the evaluation need be conducted from the GREEN back?

Way too many of us evaluate our golf ball of choice based on how FAR it goes, but insist on evaluating the overall state of our game on how LOW a SCORE we shoot?
                            They are NOT always compatible objectives.

They all talked about "feel"?
                            The "feel" is often largely created by the construction of the COVER of the ball?

Urethane (pro-line) will always feel softer than Surlyn (economy). Why?
                            Because the material IS softer!

A Urethane-covered ball will generally SPIN MORE than a Surlyn-covered ball. Why?
                            Because the material is SOFTER (and stays on the clubface "longer"?)

Then we add in the "distance" factor?
                            IMHO, that will largely depend on how the COMPRESSION of the ball matches the VIOLENCE of collision produced by your SWING-SPEED?

For the life of me, I cannot get my head around the suggestion that a ball that is optimal for someone swinging at 120mph is EQUALLY suitable for an 80mph swinger?

IMHO, a very telling comment came from the mouth of the Titleist representative when he mentioned that the DIFFERENCE in DISTANCE between Titleist's "longest" ball (ProV1x) and their "shortest" ball (DT Solo) was a mere SEVEN yards!?!?

The next time you're out on the course, back up SEVEN yards from your ball location and judge for yourself what significance of advantage did you lose?

The tee-shot may have traveled a bit shorter, but that does NOT mean that you've delivered the ball into a LESS-ADVANTAGEOS position.

Longer is not always better.

dude abides
                            Last edited by COSTA103; 4 weeks ago.
                            "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                            Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Working...
                            X