flowers in the dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dude, Hi WIG Friends..

could not agree more about 'longer is not necessarily better' ..

maybe the hallmark of all the golf balls that fit.. could be 'predictability' ..

especially in and around the Greens??

Played recently - out of town in the South for a meeting and rented clubs .. great facility, and as I was playing with a colleague - we decided to try a golf ball neither of us was familiar with a sort of 'split the difference' ..

so we played the Titleist Velocity ... mid priced, good performer - seemed a bit like an upper end Pinnacle ..which if memory serves is Titleist's 'consumer' or 'mass market' ball.

truth be told - it was a pretty decent ball that never felt quite 'right' coming off the club face.. it got better, but especially around the greens it just didn't have the same spin or feel characteristics..

in short .. I really didn't know where it was going to stop ..

look, I'm not Seve' or Phil or event that decent an amateur .. my short game is not that refined.. or precise or even that good .. but after about 3 years of playing the Chrome Soft.. well .. something new .. I had a sense of what the feel of the ball associated to the desired shot was ..

who knew?

I guess I had a sort of concept of this .. but never really had consistency .. but over time.. well, I had begun to build it..

so ..

predictability

apparently it can matter..

cheers for now..

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

part of my 'mad quest' to find amazing golf ball value .. came across this on My Golf Shake - great site especially for those WiGists in the UK ..

https://www.golfshake.com/news/view/..._Feedback.html

pretty good $$ .. found them on Ebay - US pricing shown ..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...balls&_sacat=0

if nothing else get a few dozen for a little use as range balls if you have a net or a good open field where you can hit them safely..

cheers

k_f
      tu nunquam hic

Comment

for a second, I had a mental picture of an Alligator making a considerable vertical leap ..

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...ys/2939466002/

I'm not sure how to make that ruling.. pretty sure it has to do with whether it was a Red or Yellow Hazard area.. and I think it's a 1-shot played on the line where the ball first crossed into the Hazard.. best probably to avoid the Alligator..

cheers

k_f
        tu nunquam hic

Comment

• COSTA103
          COSTA103 commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like the ball NEVER crossed the hazard-margin?
          Therefore it's a FREE DROP from "IMmoveable" obstruction?

• kid_fullerene
          kid_fullerene commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm hoping you're right Mr. Dude.. trying to play it out of the Alligator sounds tricky.. and if the Alligator was in play .. yeah.. I'm just taking a free drop from a safe place.. probably the next hole

Hi WIG Acolytes..

I've been looking for this Ben Hogan quote .. there's another one out there I hope to rediscover .. but this one is an interesting paradox and might be worth a discussion ..assuming anybody is up to it.

Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing. -Ben Hogan

arguably the greatest self taught player of all time - a swing that many view as absolute perfection, recovered from a nearly fatal car accident, author of one of THE most influential instruction books of all time..

Mr. Hogan looks at the nature of a golf swing .. and says.. 'reverse every natural instinct' .. and 'do the opposite'

at a surface level - it seems very similar to what Shawn Clement expresses as being 'ball focused' ..

sometimes it seems to also align with the Dude (he who abides) sharing as 'trying to hit the ball'

vs. ..????

the opposite of that .. which is what, exactly?

so is that the beginnings of the definition of a 'golf swing' ..

and as swingers of the club..

are there such things as 'hitters of the ball'?

and are all 'natural instinct reversals' the same?

well - mull it over, have a go if you chose to ..

of all the apparent paradoxes in golf - this is among my favorites..

cheers

k_f

this article (and advertisement) gives a more complete version of the quote and its source from the into to Power Golf
        On the first page of the Introduction to Ben Hogan's book "Power Golf", Hogan writes
        ...when you grip a golf club to take your first swing at a golf ball every natural instinct you employ to accomplish that objective is wrong, absolutely wrong.
        Reverse every natural instinct you have and do just the opposite of what you are inclined to do and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing.
        http://www.cegolf.com/first-instinct.htm

I'm not sure what the page author means be 'can't use an upright swing without manipulation' .. that's a sort of 'box canyon of logic' or at least circular reasoning .. in that using the turn of the body is not the only 'most natural' way to swing the club.. it's just one of many .. at the variations are not necessarily simply apparent differences in 'style' ..

for whatever that might be worth..

Last edited by kid_fullerene; 03-23-2019, 11:54 AM. Reason: found quote source
        tu nunquam hic

Comment

Christo Garcia of 'My Swing Evolution' weighs in ..

and a great mention from Jack about 'a flowing motion from the ground up'

worth just pinning this into the discussion..

k_f
          tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

here's one that is a bit of fun... gravity based decision making .. apparently there is such a thing.. and its opposite..

https://thenextweb.com/syndication/2...mpression=true

where it goes from here?

I'm expecting to do what I can 'under the influence' (of gravity of course!)

but in this day and age ..

there seem to be options..

cheers

k_f

tu nunquam hic

Comment

WIG Friends..

as we work on our Swings again for 2019..

here's a viewpoint that is interesting and perhaps a bit relevant..

what is it that we're working towards? and are we working towards perfect target focus - or perfect action relative to itself.. the 'hall of swing mirrors'??

this might be more important than it first appears

cheers

k_f
              tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

Saw this and thought it would be the Universe's greatest use of gravity..

some readings of Einstein's Theories basically infer that if you get enough mass together you can get a place of infinite gravity .. lately it seems that some have been taking to calling them
                Black Holes..

and so somewhere around the Event Horizon - time from our perspective seems to stop .. so potentially we reach a 'place' of infinite time..

which would also .. at least according to Einstein.. and those who seek to figure his amazing mind out..

could be a place of infinite space..

https://www.physics-astronomy.org/20...nother_19.html

a universe of multiverses?

could be ..

and

wouldn't you know .. powerful investors got ahold of one of the most stable Black Holes in the Universe .. built an Event Horizon .. and put a planet perfectly and entirely devoted to the Great Game .. and upon that planet.. created .. well in our Time/Space in 2011 .. Crackpot National Golf & Country Club..

so..

there's that..

anyway .. so I've got a few bunkers left to rake .. and while I haven't seen him in awhile .. I hear some hammering from just underneath the one on 18... pretty sure Pigaman and his team are working on their next revolutionary advances in golf technology.

cheers for now

k_f

soundtrack found here?

Last edited by kid_fullerene; 04-03-2019, 08:40 PM. Reason: added the Black Hole Soundtrack
                tu nunquam hic

Comment

Kid. My go to budget ball is Dunlop DP1 V3. Great feel and check on greens for cheap price. Also play Calloway chrome soft. Cant beat Titelist pro v but these are cheap.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                    kid_fullerene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    GM - cool share, I don't know that ball - but I am curious to try it .. there are definitely days where a less expensive ball is just the ticket .. and I am always looking for some to enjoy on those days where it's the absolutely best idea to save the Pro V's for another round!

Hi guys,
                  I just ordered SIX dozen KIRKLAND (Costco.com) 3-piece URETHANE balls for $72 delivered...

Don't know if the ball is any good or not? I'll report back. But Urethane-covered, multiple-layered (read: "pro-line"?) balls for $1/ball?

They're scheduled to arrive tomorrow....

Stay tuned....

Love this place and you guys

dude abides
                  "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                  Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                    kid_fullerene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    they have been a sensation - curious to hear of your experiences .. very cool stuff!

Hi guys,
                  Played my first 9 holes with the Kirkland ball....
                  I've been a devoted BRIDGESTONE RX(S) for several years....
                  Nine holes is, admittedly, a small sample size, but I did NOT notice a difference?
                  Distance? Spin? Feel? Did not notice a difference?
                  (ball also came out of the round looking "brand new")

Experiment continues....

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hi WIG Friends..

Master's Week.. and for those who would like to see a window into the past - here are some unique and rarely seen images from the late 1950's and early 1960's

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/serendipity-leads-to-discovery-of-hundreds-of-incredible-never-before-seen-masters-photos

some greats of the game ..

and some rare glimpses of ANGC from half a century ago

cheers

k_f
                    tu nunquam hic

Comment

• Ken Robie
                      Ken Robie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cool! Thanks Kid!!

Hi WIG Friends..

some more Master's Fun.. for the week -

here's an amazing peek of what goes on after people leave the hallowed gates ..

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-when-the-sun-goes-down-in-augusta

and some c/o of GolfShake -- glimpses of the Master's by the Numbers:
                    The Masters By Numbers

By: Golfshake Editor | Mon 08 Apr 2019 | 0 Comments

This year is the 83rd Masters Tournament at Augusta National, an event that has provided many indelible moments in the game. Played at the same venue each time, we have a connection and affiliation to this major like no other, and consequently many of the statistics attached resonate with golfers more here than elsewhere. 2019 marks several anniversaries, and we have gathered some of the key numbers to be mindful of throughout the week.

6 - Most number of victories, by Jack Nicklaus (1963, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1975, 1986).
                    14 - Years since Tiger Woods won his last Masters
                    13 - Score recorded by Sergio Garcia at the 15th hole in the first round last year
                    12 - Widest margin of victory, by Tiger Woods in 1997.
                    8 - Best comeback after 54 holes, by Jack Burke in 1956.
                    40 - Number of yards by which the fifth hole has been lengthened for 2019.
                    30 - Years since Nick Faldo won the first of his three Masters titles by beating Scott Hoch in a play-off.
                    13 - Number of times it has been won by a European
                    40 - Years since Fuzzy Zoeller became the last player to win the Masters on their tournament debut.
                    63 - Course record at Augusta National, shared by Nick Price and Greg Norman.

18 - Lowest total under par, set by Tiger Woods in 1997 and matched by Jordan Spieth in 2015.
                    11 - Most birdies in a single round, by Anthony Kim in 2009.
                    7 - Most consecutive birdies, shared by Steve Pate (1999) and Tiger Woods (2005), both starting from seventh hole.
                    50 - Consecutive starts made by Arnold Palmer (1955-2004).
                    21 - Age of the youngest winner, Tiger Woods, in 1997.
                    46 - Age of the oldest winner, Jack Nicklaus, in 1986.
                    75 - Highest first round score of an eventual winner (Craig Stadler, 1982)
                    11 - Winners not to have led after 18, 36 or 54 holes, most recent being Danny Willett (2016)

tu nunquam hic

Comment

Hi guys,

How many of us members of Crackpot National would have taken THIS option???

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...cid=spartandhp

Enjoy. We all need to "think out of the box" much more than we do??

Love this place and you guys

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

We have a short Par 3 (90 yards) that is really poorly designed for multiple pin placements due to severe slopes. Many times we will look for different putts that utilize those crazy slopes, more for fun, but sometimes they due come in handy. ;>)

Comment

Working...
                        X