Simple question regarding swing plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question regarding swing plane

True or false: the more vertical (upright) a swing plane becomes the more distance that swing will lose?

False. Look at bubba.

Comment

That's a good answer with a good example but I'm still wondering...

Comment

The answer is, if the backswing is picked up physically, then you cut away at the natural arc of the swing and therefore cut your power. If the backswing gets lifted by the natural swing of the Arms and club around the centre of the swing (sternal notch) then you benefit like Bubba from a wide arc with full juice potential if you stay with the delivery to target. Typically, someone would pick the club up if they were focused on hitting at the ball like bearing a snake into the ground; so if you wanted to apply momentum to the ground, then pick it up! . Compare to axe to side of tree vs axe to vertical split of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Clement View Post
          The answer is, if the backswing is picked up physically, then you cut away at the natural arc of the swing and therefore cut your power. If the backswing gets lifted by the natural swing of the Arms and club around the centre of the swing (sternal notch) then you benefit like Bubba from a wide arc with full juice potential if you stay with the delivery to target. Typically, someone would pick the club up if they were focused on hitting at the ball like bearing a snake into the ground; so if you wanted to apply momentum to the ground, then pick it up! . Compare to axe to side of tree vs axe to vertical split of wood.
          Aha!!!...Now we are getting at the gist of my question! So asked in a slightly different manner...all else be equal...going from a more horizontal swing to a more vertical swing would indeed cause a loss in distance?

Maybe an extreme example to illustrate what I mean: I am hitting fly balls with a baseball and bat to my outfielders for practice. I throw the ball up in the air and swing at it in a more or less horizontal plane to give them practice for ground balls and line drives. Assuming I am swinging with the same power, I start to throw the ball up and swing more with an upper cut, i.e more vertically, to create a pop fly for them to catch. As I continue to do so and swing more vertically (less horizontal component) am I losing distance, again considering swing is otherwise the same?

So taking this to golf, let's say a 7-iron (or whatever club really), I swing more "flat"...horizontally and go to a more and more vertical swing. Obviously to hit a ball on the ground there always must be some part that is "vertical" to the swing (duh), but as I go more and more "vertical" with my swing am I losing distance again assuming all else with the swing is equal???

So to use your analogy...can I apply more force with an axe to a tree I am chopping down or a log (sitting perfectly upright)???

I have a specific reason for my question...

Does this question make sense??? I hope it does???
          Last edited by K5thbeatle; 07-19-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

You still have to understand that as long as the swing arc is the same distance from the body's center of attachment ( sternum) full width to full width, and the same club head speed, and quality of contact is the same, the ball will go the same distance. The rub becomes how much launch angle advantage is utilized.

Comment

What I think you should do to put this to the acid test is have a couple nice practice sessions on the slopes! All 4 of them and especially ball below and ball above. What ever swing plane YOU THINK you have (as many of my students misinterpret where they think they are) it will be put to the test here. Do a full review of on the slopes (premium is best) and the ones I have on youtube. I don't have to mention to not go anywhere else for advice on the slopes right? It is very painful to listen to what and how other pros who are not WIG are teaching this.

Comment

I seem more comfortable with a swing when the ball is above my feet This is consistent with a flat swing when seen from the lateral side I always seem to have trouble with ball below my feet and getting way to upright and off balance Had a lesson from Shawn a year ago showing me it’s possible to hook from that lie below my feet that Open my eyes and now it’s not as much of a problem. I set up flat and adjust accordingly.
                I lose power when I setup upright Tough lie is on a downhill Keep the shoulders alignment pointing to the sky rather than with the slope and I move the ball postion back closer to my back foot I tend to have problem being too steep but those help to shallow the arc out

Comment

Working...
                X