Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Others playing music during Club sanctioned events?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Others playing music during Club sanctioned events?

Seems to be a more popular thing these days where golfers have these portable bluetooth music speakers(or similar devices) that allows them to play music while golfing from the cart. I'm curious what others thoughts are on this regarding having music during tournament type events (not talking about casual play here) like club championships, match play events etc. Recently I played in a club event where I was paired with 3 guys I had never met. One was playing music and I didn't mind (although I didn't particularly care for the music played) but I could kind of tell one guy was a little perturbed although he never verbalized anything.

So I ask, if someone plays music during a club event in your group does it bother you? Do you ask them to turn it off? Is it appropriate for such events? Opinions? (Again I'm not talking about casual play)
    No music, leave it for casual play in their own group where it's fine.
    50.00%
    If they ask politely beforehand if anyone minds and all agree, then I'm ok with the music.
    10.00%
    It doesn't bother me at all. Go ahead with the music.
    40.00%
    I don't mind myself but some may have issue who are afraid to speak up so I say no music.
    0%
    Last edited by K5thbeatle; 08-16-2016, 08:30 PM.

What if there's dancing along with the music?

Sorry K5, I couldn't resist.

Comment

• hartman29
      hartman29 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know why, but I think that's the best part of the movie. Just can't stop laughing at it.

Hi guys,

On a more serious note (compared to my prior post), it seems that Rule 14-3a applies here. I thought of this earlier as I saw this a while ago in connection with Shawn's "Rhythm Training" music, but I was waiting for one of the rules experts on the forum to bring this up.

Anyway, here's the "Rules of Golf Note" that Shawn has posted in regards to listening to music during a stipulated round . . .

14-3/17 Player Listens to Music or Broadcast During Round

Q. A player uses a device to listen to music, a radio broadcast or any other type of broadcast during a stipulated round. What is the ruling?

A. Under Rule 14-3a, a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that “might assist him in making a stroke or in his play.” Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of the next hole.

A Committee will have to consider all available facts and circumstances in determining whether a player using an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast has done so for a prolonged period such that the action might have assisted the player in his play.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

Comment

At my course, we have more players playing music than previous years. They are respectful and do not play it loud. An important point to note is that they are the younger golfers (20's & 30's). Several of us older golfers have discussed this and it mentioned that it might help bring in younger golfers to play golf. It seems that the younger generation is quite attached to their phones and music.

Comment

Hi guys,
        Cally's note above is right on.
        The Rules-of-Golf PROHIBIT any OUTSIDE "assistance" to your "swing" or "play"?

What OTHER reason is there for the Music?

What else is there to discuss?

"...it calms me down..." = does that not ASSIST?
        "...It keeps me in rhythm..." = does that not ASSIST?
        "...It puts me in a good mood..." = does that not ASSIST?

...etc., etc., etc.....

Count me in the group that's opposed to the whole music-thing.
        Feel free to lmk what it is that I'm "missing"?

Be water, my friends
        dude

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
        Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hey Guys

I listen to "spa" type music on my 35 minute ride to the course. This gets me in a calm mood and just slows my mind down a couple of notches. I would be willing to bet that the younger crowd are listening to music to get them "up" for their round in addition to the two "Red Bulls" they may consume on the way to the course.

Cheers FJ
          AKA...FJ

Proud member of Crackpot National & CC since 2013.

If your goal is to be Target Focused, why not Face the Target when you Putt?

Old Forum Stats

Register Date: 02 Jun 2011
          Thank you received: 325
          Profile Views: 720

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
            Count me in the group that's opposed to the whole music-thing.
            Feel free to lmk what it is that I'm "missing"?
            Hi Dude,

I remember from the old forum how you liked having a song in your head as you play.

So thankfully, there's no rule against "listening" to music in your mind while playing . . . only listening to music with an "artificial device" or "unusual equipment."

Comment

Sanctioned events come with rules, no two ways about it. In actuality, I would only hope that competitors be courteous to one another. If they want to listen to music while they play golf, just wear headphones or earbuds. Keep it to yourself, please.

Comment

Im split on this one... I had never listened to music on the range or course until this last weekend... Mainly on the range.. Found myself more relaxed and not ball focused at all.. couldn't hear the contact but I sure could feel it. turned it on one time on the course between shots to "feel the groove" again and it worked.

As for people blaring whatever on their Bluetooth, I think that should be penalized... common courtesy... don't wanna hear your taste in music regardless if I like it or not.. This game is hard enuf to drown out normal distractions..

This rule like most other USGA is gray... it says you cant listen while making a shot...but doesn't really specify the 95% of the time you are not making a shot... Says Briefly, so when Im walking to my next shot, I may put them on again...Does it help? depends on the person... If they change the rule to specifically say "No headphones period" then they will have to say, no connecting with gravity since that could assist my shot as well...

Headphones, earbuds, whatever...keep it to yourself

Comment

There are always distractions on the course. People moving in my peripheral vision, sudden noises from ongoing construction, the super competitor who regularly casually mentions something at a moment of concentration. To me music is generally ongoing and helps drown out sudden noises or negative golf thoughts. I don't play it, but I try to not mind it.
                  That being said, the groups with the cart speakers cranked can also be seen filling your rear view mirror on the highway, blaring a boom box on the beach, or elbowing their way through a early morning shopping crowd the day after Thanksgiving. Their Mamas probably love them.
                  Last edited by papahajek; 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I like music in my buggy if I am by myself or just social play with friends, as long as it's good music 60's.70's & 80's etc.........if any one plays that rap crap, they should be banned from the golf course for life.lol.......My husband likes rap and all of today's music, he accuses me on being stuck in a time warp when it comes to music....he is right.lol

Comment

• papahajek
                      papahajek commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hope you don't think I don't like music during a game. I just think that playing it loud enough so you can hear it from your cart while you are on the green or tee is kinda ignorant. I'm all for doing things to get in your competitor's head but keep it within your group.

papahajek, I agree with you, I would never have it loud enough for other players on the course to hear, but I enjoy it in the buggy when i am by myself or just having a social round with friends.

Comment

Here is the song I will play: Let Me Love You ringtone. You can refer to the installation of many other genres here: Ringtonedownload.in
                      Last edited by mgancomi; 07-23-2018, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X