Goal for the year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregman55 View Post
    Hey Cally when I put the ball on a tee yes I do get better contact, on especially on the practice range. Some shot are dead centered on the face and even on the turf at the range I get some good contact but I also seem to be hitting up a little also and putting more dynamic loft on the club which causes loss of distance. However on a par 3 with the ball teeed up seems like I loose it there too and only a few good ones.
    Okay, there's hope here. I was thinking that it may be more of a perception issue when the ball is on the turf that's been causing issues for you. And I know you realize this, but there's no need of "hitting up" to try to get the ball in the air; the loft of the club will do that for you. For shots struck of the turf you want the sole of the club to drag along the surface of the ground several inches in front of the ball. You know how in some of his more recent videos Shawn has talked about seeing a 3 dimensional divot (ball; grass; and then ground at the lowest point of the circle in front of the ball for shots struck off the turf).

But just to rewind a little, here's an old video that Shawn did on contact which is a good review, and then near the end he shows a drill you can do at the range with an iron and the ball on a rubber tee to help you feel how to strike the ball first with the low point occurring after, and then you gradually lower the tee and continue to have the feel of the sole of the club bottoming out in front of the ball (ball; grass; ground) . . . give this a try the next chance you get and see if this helps with the perception and feel you need for a descending strike with an iron . . .

Comment

Gman,

I didn't want to get carried away earlier with posting too many videos, but I thought I would go ahead and at least post this one additional video that followed the "Contact and Spin" video I posted earlier which shows Shawn doing the same concept (with the ball on a tee drill in the previous video) where he tees up the ball from high to low and then ball off the turf to practice catching the ball first and then the ground for iron shots with a proper divot . . .

Comment

Greg have you watched this video? https://youtu.be/8RzBIPstPg8

Comment

Hey Cally these were very informative and I did get some things that I think may help. I will head to the range as soon as I can and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregman55 View Post
            Hey Cally these were very informative and I did get some things that I think may help. I will head to the range as soon as I can and see what happens.
            Okay, and just a couple more thoughts . . . make sure you have a strong grip to be able to compress through and take a divot, but at the same time don't try to hit down on the ball, just let gravity take care of the down part. Finally, Shawn makes this stuff look very easy, but he's had many years of practice, so be patient with yourself!

Edit:

Gman,

As you know, Shawn has some great videos on contact, but I thought I would add this short one in here as it has everything needed in a nutshell; and it's a great progression from the tee drill in the other videos I posted earlier for developing the perception and feel for ball; grass; ground contact with an iron . . .

Last edited by Cally; 02-14-2017, 09:42 AM. Reason: Add video

Comment

Well, things haven`t been going to plan. Got my tournament next Tuesday, and I am yet to have a round of golf this year!

Got the information for start time, local rules, etc, but I seem to have a problem.

The tournament requires conforming clubs, which I thought I had, but when I searched for them they didn't all come up.
              My driver is listed, but not my fairway woods (same brand Cobra BioCell+)
              My irons are listed (Srixon Z945 5-P)
              One of my wedges is listed (Cleveland 588 RTX 52/10), the other isn't (Cleveland 588 RTX 58/8)

Is it possible the fairway woods and wedge not listed are conforming, or do I have to leave them out of my bag?

Advice/help would be appreciated

Comment

Got a message back from Cleveland, the wedge should be ok to use, so that is good news. Waiting on a reply from Cobra.

Comment

Reply back from Cobra, looks like I can use all my clubs. Now just to peak at the right time!

Comment

Well, back from my first tournament in Japan. It was a good day, if I don't count the golf! A bit of everything today. Pretty nervous of the first tee, got a bogey, then pushed 3 shots right on the next to finish with a double. Then birdied the next, and felt the nerves had settled. Just couldn't string a run of shots/holes together though. Just missing greens pin high, but in the bunker (and they were reasonably tough), leaving chips short, putts lipping out, etc.

First time using my new putter and it felt very comfortable, nice steady rolls on the ball. Finished with two good drives, and a birdie putt lipped out on the last, so next round has some momentum maybe.

Interesting experience though.

Comment

Working...
                    X