How has WIG worked for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has WIG worked for you?

I was just wondering how many people can say that WIG has without a doubt worked for them. How has it changed your game for the better, and how would you rate it against the modern teachings.
    Last edited by Gregman55; 4 weeks ago.

It's worked wonders for me! Besides the exception here and there it has taken most of the thinking out of my swing on the course and made it a much more fun game. The main thinking I do now is what direction am I going to take to the pin. I love aggravating my son on the course because I will tell him, "I'm going over the right side of the bunker with a slight draw, two bounces, and 3ft right of the pin".. It helps my focus speaking out loud and my son rolls his eyes when it actually happens every 15 shots!! Lol

Comment

Hi GMan..Aloha WIG Friends everywhere.

Thank you for bringing this topic up and asking for some personal experiences and stories about the success curve at WIG.

I think this is an intriguing question as one could potentially take this beyond the apparent mechanics of the WIG swing mechanics/methodology and expand it to the Chairman's thought process about approaching the learning and continuation (and growth of the game).

Shawn, his team(s) and by extension, us, as his 'legacy' take this mission seriously and I must confess, when the concept of Shawn's approach of creating a system called 'Wisdom in Golf' with a Vitruvian Man Logo no less, I was a bit taken aback by its ambition.

Can a group such as us really bring Wisdom to the pursuit and understanding of this game - and is there really a way to measure our success?

Is WIG more than the sum of its instructional base?

At the risk of overindulging in rhetorical questions, I would offer that WIG has brought me and I suspect a great many others, great success in bringing us closer to a sense of what it really takes to master the learning & playing of the game.

Shawn offers an energetic and comprehensive approach to the game - and he offers any and all of us a myriad of ways to find an entry point into learning the game. In short, Shawn takes it well beyond the 'mechanical & positional' and brings all manner of the human experience to finding our respective ways in the game. Shawn talks anatomy, neuro science, yoga, vision, common sense, frankly - I've lost track of the variety of things he brings to our WIG table on what seems to be an hourly basis.

Perhaps we're all a bit 'spoiled' or 'jaded' by his enthusiastic lessons - Shawn is a great gentleman and a gifted teacher, a thought leader and ultimately our 'sponsor' & mentor in this little corner of golf.

We should all do so well as Mr. C. ..

so as to success -

I literally had the single most successful day at the range in my life. I hit 175 balls - and the vast majority of, I was in complete control of. That which I wished for so many years ago - I have some semblance of now.

It has taken me the business end of half a decade to be able to say that - actually a bit more as I began this journey at the end of 2010, and have had some highs and lows throughout..and some days that I was convinced I had 'cracked it'..and on those days, I was wrong.

I think that the most crucial success of WIG for me - is that it's a broad concept -

all of the command of the range, such as it is, is just 'tuition' ..the 'real deal' is on the golf course.. the potential success of what one can do ..can only truly be measured by what does when it matters

The Success of WIG is what we all do for each other ..when it matters..

it has given me, and I suspect many of us that ..

and a bit more.

here's to success.

may it always seek you and may you sustain it in your own life..

cheers

k_f
      from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
      tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I found WIG shortly after I started to play the game in 2012, when I was 57 and now getting ready to turn 62 I must be honest I went away from WIG a couple of times thinking there was something better out there but every time I end back up here. I still have problems with my irons mostly not being able to stay down and thru the shot or task. Early extension in one of my main problems and squaring the club face. I must say I love the way Shawn teaches and explains things. Definitely this is a special place and a great bunch of people, hopefully someday it will all come together for me.

Comment

For me it has been most efficient to adapt WIG in the short game. My putting and chipping is excellent when I stay with the WIG basics. For full shots, I am still trying to get rid of old bad habits, but if I stay with the WIG focus on ball flight to target the full shots works best.

/Kenneth

Comment

Hi guys,

I've said this before and I'll say it again here,
            For me, WIG has been LESS about the way I SWING and MORE about the way I THINK?
            Perhaps that's because I was a bit more WIG than most when I was first introduced to our Chairman?
            I remember distinctly thinking on the day (coming up on SEVEN years ago? ) when I broke ground on my "dude"-ranch homestead out here on this golfing "frontier"...

"HOLY CRAP! This guys sounds like ME?!?!

I have never felt the need to look elsewhere.

Shawn's Vision and message is clear, focused and unwavering.
            It may be UNIQUE, but its underlying bedrock holds great promise.

It is not only our Chairman's teachings, but also THIS PLACE!
            He has bequeathed us this little corner for us to express our own level of contribution.
            For that I am forever grateful.

There are many who take great pride in this place. I'm proud to count myself among them.
            If any tidbit of my personal lunacy kindles any spark for anyone, I'm eternally gratified.

Stay the Course.

be water, my friends...

dude abides
            Last edited by COSTA103; 4 weeks ago.
            "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
            Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• kid_fullerene
              kid_fullerene commented
              Editing a comment
              Dude - love what you've captured here in this thought ...we've had some wonderful people come and go ..(hopefully to return again) but you have remained a constant at WIG..thanks for your great support and things you do here to make this place ..'THIS PLACE'. ..

cheers

k_f

It's definitely more FUN than trying to ingrain the correct movements using other methods/opinions. I like the idea of trying to recapture my naturalness which had been 'programmed' out of me some 30 years ago as soon as I started to learn 'golf instruction'.

So I think WIG is a means for me to become more 'Neanderthal' but that won't stop me from being interested (from a hobby perspective) learning 'what' is happening in the golf swing. I will always have a golfing 'Jekyll and Hyde ' conflict of interest but I strongly suspect that Jekyll is going to be more dangerous to my game than Hyde.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger View Post
              So I think WIG is a means for me to become more 'Neanderthal' but that won't stop me from being interested (from a hobby perspective) learning 'what' is happening in the golf swing.
              Dinger,

By your "Neanderthal" reference, maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but do you mean to say that WIG is "so easy that a caveman could do it"?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Comment

• Cally
                Cally commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't notice the missing 'forum option' on the Homepage as I have a direct link to the forum pinned to my start page. But my guess on the current (and I assume temporary) disappearance of the 'forum option' on the Homepage is that they are in the process of reworking some things on the web site due to the upcoming changes being made for the Premium Channel videos.

• Cally
                Cally commented
                Editing a comment
                Schrodinger, as of now, I just noticed that the 'forum option' has reappeared on the Homepage.

• Schrodinger
                Schrodinger commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Cally . Just got back from golfing in St Saens France and noticed that it was all fixed.

My WIG swing worked very well and I finally beat my holiday golfing friend after a losing streak of 10 consecutive years. We played 4 rounds of golf in 2 days and it all boiled down to the last putt on the last hole of the 4th round (where he had to make a 14 foot putt to halve the hole - but missed). We have a trophy (called 'Le Tournois') which the winner keeps for a year until the rematch. All mine now for the moment :-)

Originally posted by Cally View Post

Dinger,

By your "Neanderthal" reference, maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but do you mean to say that WIG is "so easy that a caveman could do it"?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'm sure there's more ..but couldn't pass on the chance to throw these into the mix..

cheers

k_f
              from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
              tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

[QUOTE=Schrodinger;n9852]I'd definitely swing more naturally if I was a Neanderthal- longer arms too :-)

How did we get herešŸ¤£

Comment

The great John Jacobs said "you can't play static golf a have a swing." In his book Pratical Golf, how true.
                  Joesph A Parent said that you must have a target focused mind rather than a ball focused mind. Two good things I read over the weekend.

Comment

One thing I did learn when golfing in France for the last few days is that it's incredibly difficult to keep your focus on swinging to the target and 'cutting the dandelion' when you are dog tired both mentally and physically (carried my heavy bag for 20 miles over 2 days up a very hilly course). The first thing that starts to go awry is engaging the calves rather than the glutes and quads and this seems to disrupt the kinetic sequencing of the CF pump . I tended to 'actively' push up off the ground than just letting the hip react and move 'back and up' with freedom as you get out of the way in the back/forward swing and this caused a little too much sway. Not one shank for any short chips and pitches by getting the correct posture using my hands 'slide down my thighs' to just above knees (as I bend from the hips) and engaging the quads/glutes at setup.

Comment

• Ron I
                      Ron I commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What no trolleys (golf pull carts) to rent?

• Schrodinger
                      Schrodinger commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Carrying one's bag is a rule of 'Le Tournois' :-))

Originally posted by Schrodinger View Post
                    One thing I did learn when golfing in France for the last few days is that it's incredibly difficult to keep your focus on swinging to the target and 'cutting the dandelion' when you are dog tired both mentally and physically .
                    Hi guys,

While I am in complete agreement with this, I found myself asking myself a basic question?

No.....Not my customary "Why is it more difficult", but...

WHAT was it upon which I found myself focusing?

WHY was it EASIER to focus on THAT (alternative), at the expense of focusing on our Target?

If we WISH to focus on the Target or "cutting dandelions", what is it that pulls us away?

Easy to say "fatigue" or some other excuse (as true as they may be??)

But WHY did not that SAME excuse pull us away from that upon which we WERE able to focus?

Think about that for a moment....

We were UNABLE to retain our focus on Target (dandelion), but we WERE ABLE to SHIFT our focus to some alternative?

I invite you to review this short article:

https://www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/ch...-our-thoughts/

At the end of the day, what is resident in our "Intention-box" is a matter of CHOICE.
                    WE ultimately CHOOSE that upon which we CHOOSE to focus?

It is NOT some mysterious force that drags us kicking and screaming away from our Intention?

WE CHOOSE to go ELSEWHERE.

WHY and, more importantly, WHERE IS that place that we feel compelled to go?

So, at the end of the day, if we find it difficult to remain focused on swinging to the Target it is because we CHOSE to focus ELSEWHERE.

Where and Why?

Be water, my friends

dude abides
                    Last edited by COSTA103; 3 weeks ago.
                    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

From what I remember at the time after being almost completely fatigued is that I was 'trying' to focus (ie. picturing the target and the dandelions) but I lost my external cue (ie. the clubface edge being the 'dandelion cutter'). I actually felt as if my brain was 'going to sleep' while I was trying to focus, so its similar to what Shawn sometimes says to one of his students on the videos , 'when did you blank out?'
                      Last edited by Schrodinger; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

This is WIG's greatest challenge -- the swing works when you can recall the feel of the body motioning in a direction you can't visually see.

WIG doesn't use eye vision to confirm the motion; the opposite occurs. The motion confirms the vision, but the vision is locked inside the body's sense of where it is in space. This is why and how Shawn can swing blindfolded.

Indeed, the eyes must 'stay still and not move' to keep the body anchored. The body needs to stay anchored so that the brain can recall the feel. The feel is the body motioning in a certain direction and the ensuing snap of the wrists in that direction.

To use a baseball analogy -- WIG is like throwing a ball to a spot on a wall blindfolded. You know how throwing the ball to the spot 'feels', but you can't actually see -- literally see with your eyes -- the spot on the wall because you're blindfolded. So, you have someone line you up to the spot on the wall, then you recall the feeling of throwing the ball to the wall.

Instead of use your eyes to see, you have to use your brain to see, or put another way, you have to use your body's sense of where it is in space to confirm whether you're 'going in the correct direction'.
                        Last edited by wooltie; 3 weeks ago.
                        swing down the line

Comment

Working...
                        X