Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinehurst #2

Hey guys,

Headed down to play #2 this weekend. Was privileged enough to play Merion earlier this year. Been a great year for golf!

anyone played #2 before? Any pointers??

Hi Richard,

As far as any pointers, I would definitely need you to give me pointers so I can't help you in that regard.

But Shawn does have a couple older on-course videos for Pinehurst, but unfortunately his first one was corrupted, and he couldn't recover it. So Shawn did a remake at Richmond Hill of what he covered in the first Pinehurst video that I'll post as you can at least see the Payne Stewart statue at the beginning before the original video was corrupted; and then Shawn explains in the remake the theme of what he covered and that's the idea when you play a nice course like Pinehurst you don't want to be thinking technical stuff . . .

And here's the second video on chipping and putting at Pinehurst #2 that might give you a little bit of a preview of the grounds; and although this video is nearly 10 years old, at the end Shawn says to be sure to have Sidney the caddy with you . . .

I figured you probably already saw the Pinehurst web site that gives you info on the courses and caddy information, but I did find this Pinehurst #2 Flyover Series if you haven't seen these. I'll post the first hole flyover and if you want to see the others you can click on the subsequent videos . . .

Have fun!
    Last edited by Cally; 4 weeks ago. Reason: Add Flyover Series

Comment

Char..

looks like you're continuing to enjoy your 'charmed golf life' ..enjoy #2 .try and get us a few action shots ..you get to play one of those great 'bucket list' golf courses...just accept that you are enjoying a bit of 'good fortune' and accept that we're all a bit envious! Have too much fun and hit a couple shots that you'll be sure to remember!

cheers for now

k_f
      from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
      tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Hi guys,

Just for general interest in Pinehurst #2, I thought I would put a video in here from the caddy (or caddie, depending on how you prefer to spell it) perspective, and this also has a little story about Ben Hogan playing the course . . .

I've heard that Pinehurst #2 can be played by various handicap levels, but the greens are what really defend the course. And on this point, one of the things that Willie McRae says in this video about Pinehurst #2 is, "If you can't read the greens you might as well stay in the house."

If I ever have the chance to play this course I would for sure opt for the services of a caddy, not just for the benefit of their expertise, but also for the fun of the overall experience.

Anyway, like Kid said, hopefully Richard will be able to "get us a few action shots" (and maybe even a little video) of his Pinehurst outing!

Comment

Thanks guys! Cally, awesome videos!

Played a warmup round today at a course near home. Swing feels great... just cutting grass effortlessly!! Looking forward to tomorrow. My brother and I are on the road right now headed down. I'll be sure to take some pictures maybe a couple videos.

Comment

Well... Pinehurst #2 was certainly a humbling experience! The day after shooting 1-under 71 at Independence in Richmond, VA I played Pinehurst #2 and shot 85! Ouch! The course definitely got the best of me. I had a couple of blow-up holes, but played ok outside of that. The green complexes were some of the hardest I've ever played. If your approach shot was not precise, your ball had no chance of staying on the green, and would roll quite a ways away. Example -- Par 3 on the front 9 my ball landed about 8 feet short of the hole... stayed there for a moment, then rolled 20 yards off the front of the green! The lies around the greens were all tight bermuda lies, and often into the grain - and the greens were all crowned. I tried putting from there a couple times, but quickly switched to a bump and run technique and had pretty good success with that. I'd definitely love to have a second shot at the course.

Major Highlights:
            1) My uncle video'd me nearly holing a tough shortsided bunker shot, leaving it in kick-in range.
            2) I lipped out a hole-in-one on the back 9. Would have definitely eased the pain of the 85!!
            3) I nearly holed a 65 yard pitch shot under a tree branch with a pitching wedge

I have some pictures and videos -- not sure how to convert into a post-able format on here, I'll try to tinker with that and share. Overall it was a great experience, and gives a new appreciation for what these tour guys can do on tough courses like this one!

Comment

Originally posted by chardrice View Post
              The day after shooting 1-under 71 at Independence in Richmond, VA I played Pinehurst #2 and shot 85! Ouch! The course definitely got the best of me.

That has happened to me several times in my career? Kind of makes me wonder what I was thinking that I needed a "warm-up" round PRIOR to the big-event?

Found myself wondering what were your "blow-up" holes? Double? Triple? worse?? Did you play the Blues or Whites? (I would have definitely played the Whites!

In my opinion, looking at the Course Rating/Slope, the GHIN Rating system does NOT have a good protocol to measure DIFFICULTY in GREEN complexes?
              (I HAVE been participant in Rating-Teams in the past?)

70.9/126 Whites; 73.1/133 Blues does not seem to give the difficulty its due?

Sounds to me that you had a good "ball-striking" day?

At the end of the day, I'm sure it was one of those rounds-to-remember....

Well done, Richard.
              (welcome back)

dude abides

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
              Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Blow up holes were a 9 on the par 5 10th, and a 6 on the par 3 17th. The turtleback greens and waste areas got the best of me on those two holes.

I played the course around 6,950 I believe they were the Blue tees. I think the slope and ratings do not do the course justice. Probably the hardest green complexes I've ever played as far as precision needed to keep the ball on the green.

As far as ball-striking it wasn't all bad, but I definitely wasn't swinging as freely as I normally do. Found myself attempting to guide the ball at times (feeble minded), and was sliding a bit at times - something I've been working hard on.

Overall certainly a round to remember. Would love to have a second chance at it, the scoring opportunities are definitely there. After playing it once I'm confident I could go back and break 80.

Comment

• Cally
                  Cally commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just looked at the yardages on the Pinehurst web site, and from the Blue tees (6961 total yardage) that 10th hole par 5 is 580 yards! Yikes! Compare that to the White tees, and the 10th hole is 455 yards.

As far as the turtleback greens, here's a quote describing the greens you encountered, "No. 2 is best known for its crowned, undulating greens, which are some of the most complex and widely hailed in the world."

So considering the length of the course from the Blue tees, coupled with some of the most complex greens in the world, you did pretty darn well, especially for your first time playing this course!

Originally posted by chardrice View Post
                Would love to have a second chance at it, the scoring opportunities are definitely there. After playing it once I'm confident I could go back and break 80.
                Be careful, my friend.... I'm sure the Golf-gods are listening.....shhhhhhhhhh

dude abides
                Last edited by COSTA103; 4 weeks ago.
                "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Working...
                X