Simple Question About Strong Grip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Question About Strong Grip

I know this sounds a stupid question, but when you take a strong grip (ie. while keeping the clubface square to target), do you rotate the whole lead arm or just the forearm?

Originally posted by Schrodinger View Post
    I know this sounds a stupid question, but when you take a strong grip (ie. while keeping the clubface square to target), do you rotate the whole lead arm or just the forearm?
    Hi Schrodinger,

Far from a stupid question, this is an excellent question!

For me it's more of just the forearm rotated with the strong grip. At one point I tried to rotate the whole lead arm along with the strong grip, but it didn't work well for me. At address my lead elbow was pointing outward and toward the target to where the arms didn't feel like they could hang naturally from the shoulder sockets. For me, it also made for a difficult release with the supination of the lead arm seriously impeded.

Here's a Shawn video that I think will help . . .

From about the 4:45 mark to about the 5:30 mark, you can see where Shawn shows how the arms hang naturally and then when you take your grip, the inner portion of the elbows face in more of an upward orientation (but not too far upward or skyward). And in the alternative you can also see what happens to the arms when he points the elbows out which is what you don't want.

Like other things in the golf swing, I think this is one of those things that can go from one extreme to another extreme. But for me the arms hanging naturally with the inner portion of elbows facing up (not hyper extended up) is a good static starting place for the dynamic arm motion. Keep in mind, you can always adjust the grip/clubface relationship, and maintain the same basic arm/elbow orientation that Shawn shows in this video.

If others have any different opinions on this please chime in.

Comment

• Schrodinger
      Schrodinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Cally . Its strange that whenever I've read any old instruction books about strong grip there was never any mention of the upper arm being rotated so I've always assumed it was the forearm. Just wondering whether our forearms have enough strength to naturally rotate (supinate) when we are swinging such a dynamic weight in the forward swing. I think it will be down to personal preference and how easy/difficult it is to square the clubface .

Schrodinger,

A couple more Shawn videos came to mind regarding the upper arm (and elbows).

In this older one on posture Shawn makes a brief mention of how you should feel the arm pits resting up against the ribcage (just after the 2:00 mark) . . .

I think this is a good checkpoint at address as the upper arm resting against the rib cage also properly orients the inner portion of the elbows as shown in the Arm Motion video I previously posted.

Also, in this video on Lead Hand Compression you can see the orientation of the lead arm and where the elbow is in relation to the upper arm. Of course the whole video is worth watching, but starting at about the 2:15 mark to about the 3:20 mark is where Shawn adjusts the grip/clubface relationship way too open and way too closed and then just right to where he can arrive at impact with leverage and the ability to compress through the ball. Notice the orientation of his upper arms against his rib cage, and also the orientation of his elbows with the inner portion facing up (as opposed to the back of the lead elbow facing outward toward the target) . . .

Then just after this part of the video I highlighted Shawn again shows the way too open and way too closed grip/clubface relationship which won't work properly, and then he shows the one that does work with the strong grip, and you can see the orientation of the lead arm at address, and again at impact in relationship to the strong grip.

And continue watching, especially between the 5:15 mark and about the 7:30 mark, where Shawn again mentions how the upper part of the lead arm rests up against the rib cage and how this allows you to use the whole body to compress through the ball. This all starts at address with the upper arms resting up against the rib cage, and as Shawn says you will feel all bunched up which is one reason why you need to get the body out of the way. And then again at impact the upper arms will reconnect against the rib cage to where you can use the whole body to compress through the ball. So the upper arms are connected with the rib cage at address, and in the backswing Shawn talks about the arms levitating up, and then when you arrive back at impact the upper arms are reconnected with the rib cage. Shawn says this is how the body works. So we don't need to think about this in dynamic motion, but we do need to setup properly at static address to allow this to happen in the swing the way it should.

BTW, in Ben Hogan's "Five Lessons" book there is a drawing of the orientation of the inner part of the elbows facing up just like Shawn shows, and also (on page 48 of my copy) it says, "The upper part of the arms should be pressed very tightly against the sides of the chest." And then in all CAPS it says, "THE ELBOWS SHOULD BE TUCKED IN, NOT STUCK OUT FROM THE BODY." That said, I realize Mr. Hogan didn't use a strong grip, but I still think it's interesting how he describes the orientation of the upper arms and the elbows.

Comment

• Schrodinger
      Schrodinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! The connection and reconnection part is something I've never realised before. Many thanks for posting these videos Cally.

• Cally
      Cally commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's something that I hadn't realized either until Shawn explaining and showing this stuff. And though he doesn't mention the braced tilt in this video, you can see how the base of his spine/tailbone is in front of the ball and his head is behind the ball, and how all this connection and reconnection is happening around the tilted spiral.
      Last edited by Cally; 02-28-2018, 08:20 AM.
Working...
X