Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting the clubface

Morning

When l take my grip as Shawn describes l find that when l squeeze the grip to my 7 out of 10 pressure . I find that the club face rotates closed.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so how do you rectify.?

Hi guys,
    Hi m&M......

Take a look at how your hands are oriented to EACH OTHER?
    My immediate thought is that your TWO hands are NOT "opposing" (like if you were CLAPPING?) in a neutral fashion when you put them on the Handle...
    In essence, your two hands need to be oriented in the SAME direction; regardless of WHERE that direction is? So that they work TOGETHER.

If I put MY hands on the Handle with my Left-hand rotated too far to the rear (I'm a RH player), and then increase the grip-pressure with my Right-hand, MY club-face rotates closed as well...

Just a thought...

dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• mickle_m
      mickle_m commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate your time but its when i increase pressure that the face rotates.

My palms are facing each others,

Hi WIG Friends..

without seeing your grip - and based on what it sounds like ..my speculation would be that you might have a grip in your left hand that has the handle a bit too much in the palm of your hand.

assuming that is the case -- if you put tension into that grip -- your wrist would engage a bit in flexion and rotate the toe of the club inward..

sometimes its worth using the old 'Hogan Grip Drill' where you hold the handle in your left hand a bit like this to help you identify the pressure points.. look at the section titled 'grip'

http://www.leisuregolfbr.com/hogans-...-fundamentals/

Hogan's grip is its own animal - but the fundamentals of getting the grip into your fingers and their respective pressure points can help you make a leap..

one of the critical things that Costa mentions is his sense of having the hands oriented in the same direction and working together... regardless of exactly how you get 'there' ..the 'there' you want and must have to play predictable and consistent shots is the 'working together in the same direction' thing.

I'm not saying that this is your current issue - but so often as golfers, we're trying to put energy into a strike ..and that has a specific sort of grip feels .. if the club is being released and gravity is working the clubhead is accelerating .. that has a different sort of grip feels ..

those feels can and will vary .. but they tend to work more 'down' than 'through' .. in Rotational swings like WIG.. often the down will be more like throwing a club ..so that the throwing 'out' sort of conceals the sense of 'down'..

one of the reasons that Shawn can take his grip to '11' .. and still make a good move on the ball is that he is using gravity to generate momentum in a very specific way .. .. it's a bit of a paradox .. in that until you move your grip away from trying to 'hit the ball' you are likely boxed out of being able to fully use your body to swing the club.. but until you can use your body rotation ..you will have a hard time finding the matching grip..

I know that some on this board have enthusiastically thrown some clubs to get a sense of how the swing dynamics work and began to rebuild their respective grips from there..

if you think about the club throwing action ..and look specifically how the handle is working in relation to how the weight of the clubhead is being released to take the club out .. some of the 'secrets' of how the swing works will be quickly and easily spotted..

there is a grip that will better fit that kind of action .. the relative pressure of 7 or 8 or 11 is within that kind of context ..

hope that helps make some sense of it..

cheers for now

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

• mickle_m
      mickle_m commented
      Editing a comment
      I have sorted it, You were correct , my grip was too much in the palm, just a smidgeon but enough to cause the rotation.

Thanks

Hi mickle_m,

I need to see a pic of your grip. Whether it sits on your palm or the pads of your hand. Also, please let me know if you are right handed or left handed and when you swing does it feel like a backhand or forehand swing.

I have a very strong grip on the club where it feels like a part of my hand. It feels so secure that even if I hit the ground during the swing, it won't twist in my hand. So, my grip pressure is 6 out of 10. This helps with ball compression as well as I am able to tell where on the club face I've hit the ball from the sound and vibration of the club. I've attached a link to Shawn's video that should help with the grip setup.

Comment

• mickle_m
      mickle_m commented
      Editing a comment
      Yip seen this videeo.

Originally posted by mickle_m View Post
    I have sorted it, You were correct , my grip was too much in the palm, just a smidgeon but enough to cause the rotation.

Thanks
    M

appreciate you checking back with an update - glad to know you have it sorted and are moving ahead ..

while the grip might not be the 'answer' in making a great golf swing - without it being 'sorted' (to borrow your phrase!) it will absolutely prevent you from finding the rest of it.

it's a fundamental that won't be ignored for long..

good luck in your journey!

cheers

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Originally posted by mickle_m View Post
      Morning

When l take my grip as Shawn describes l find that when l squeeze the grip to my 7 out of 10 pressure . I find that the club face rotates closed.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so how do you rectify.?

Would you believe that some golf instructors are using this effect to market/sell golf instruction? They call it the 'motorcycle move' where a tight clenching of the fingers causes the clubface to shut and they claim it helps golfers square the clubface at impact (if they do it coupled with other actions at the right time). Once you use CF forces to help swing the clubhead at speed, those forces are so large that you just cannot keep the fingers clenched , so any 'clubface shut rotation' should dissipate later in the downswing and before impact.

Comment

Actually , I quite like this video by Manuel De La Torre regarding grip /grip pressure etc. It does seem to make a lot of commonsense (opinions?).

Comment

Hi guys,
          I would call your attention to a point that was made by Marcus (alpineberlinette) in the "OLD Forum", that it is NOT what relationship your hands (on the handle) have at ADDRESS?
          It is more what relationship your hands (on the handle) WILL BE at IMPACT?

Mr. de la Torre is NOT "incorrect" when he suggests what he proposes?

However....

There are LOTS of details which Mr. de la Torre proposes with which I agree wholeheartedly...
          ("opposing hands" and the natural affect of "body tensions" (my words) as they relate to HOW the hands will DELIVER the club-face at IMPACT?

IMHO, all of this "grip" discussion is relative to the face of the club at ADDRESS?

What happens IF that grip relationship delivers a DIFFERENT relationship to the Target-line at IMPACT???

Methinks that there is a "stone-tablet" somewhere that says that the FACE of the club MUST be pointed AT the Target AT address????

What happens if that "stone-tablet" is wrong?

much more to this concept than allowed in this space....

love to pursue it....

dude abides
          "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
          Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

This is why I use PMD to a target and then judge ball position/impact within the confines of that PMD swing.

In virtually all golf swings with 'driver/long irons ' there is forward shaft bend into impact. That means that the hands are not really leading the golf shaft into impact but is being pulled through by the clubhead's momentum (the physics seem to prove this). Now if the shaft is 'forward bending' doesn't that mean that the clubface is closing and somehow you are going to have to work out what adjustments to make to ensure you don't pull or pull draw from your actual target? This is why the 'fashion show' using static thinking at address/setup is such a perilous habit.

Imho with reference to all the above, it's impossible for me to calculate or plan ahead what I must do with my swing so that the clubface meets the ball to fit my intent . I MUST do PMD to a target, see the blur of the clubface, put the ball in a spot using judgement how the ball will react to that clubface motion, see the result and keep improving the precision of my judged ball position.

Comment

Working...
            X