10 finger grip anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 finger grip anyone?

I was just watching a video where Shawn talks about using the 10 finger grip. I have been considering using this one. I have a touch of arthritis in my right ring finger that my current overlapping grip tends to bother a bit. It's not bad, but just looking for a long term solution to the minor aggravation. Just wondered if there are others out there in WIG-land that have made this transition.

I switched to the 10 finger grip this past winter. It took a few swings to get used to it. I am now playing better than ever. Not only is it more comfortable to me, I truly believe that I am making better ball contact using it. I find that while striking the ball from the rough that the club face does not open up as it did before. I wear an XL golf glove and the 10 finger grip just feels better to me and as a result gives me more confidence. Good Luck with the transition. I hope that yours will be as smooth and quick as mine was.

Comment

• Glink@Cinci
      Glink@Cinci commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the post, Jack. Looking forward to working on it. I tested it out tonight in the backyard tonight and really felt comfortable with the feel on each of the clubs. Also, the discomfort I was experiencing seemed to go away, so that is a plus. I'll see how it works in the playing situation later in the week. Thanks again.

Glink@Cinci; I've used 10-finger years before WIG, and can't feel the club/grip any better. I'm a natural lefty, but golf righty. I believe my early years as a youth (when I only played 3-4x/yr - up until 1998!) I used the overlap. I switched out to an interlock for another 5-6 yrs when I played 1x/mo., but decided that the feel in my already weaker right hand wasn't contributing enough, was getting overpowered by the dominant left hand with the glove.

It worked out my balance of pressures to have the right hand more onto the grip freeing it from any tangle with the left. In WIG, it really cements the triangle of my ACU. I can make practice or PMDs with interlock. But that just feels like the right hand is too weak, like it may fly off the club in my swing. Scott Piercy of PGA is a ten-finger gripper.
    Wiggle....
    Waggle....
    Wobble....

Comment

I am also a lefty playing right handed and have used a 10 finger grip since I started playing 25 years ago. Would have liked to have used the Vardon grip but hands and fingers too small and short (tried Vardon grip for a few weeks and still have pain in my right pinkie finger 2 months later).

Comment

I switched from the interlocking grip to the 10 fingers grip about 2 years ago after watching one of Shawn video on the grip. At the time, it was just by curiosity to see what it was like. Liked it and use it since then.

Comment

Just wanted to chime in and say i switched about a month ago to a ten finger grip, and really like it. Having all ten fingers on the club is more comfortable to me, and the club doesn't slip out of my fingers anymore. Some pros use it too, Scott Piercy for one.

Comment

I switched to a 10 finger about 1 month ago. With the excess heat and humidity this summer I was carrying 3 or 4 gloves and switching off. The problem came from using the dried out gloves on the range. I love range work, but the dry leather against my ring finger ( I used a vardon grip) kept it raw and sore) To give it a rest I went to the 10 finger and quickly wore the skin off of my little finger. I took off the glove and the finger healed. I haven't looked back. Can't say I've done any better, but no worse either.

Comment

I am using the 10 finger grip . I have a left finger that had staph a few years back and is stiff & weak. I tried to adjust by going to oversize grip to Some relieve. so i ordered a sample of the Jumbo Max Grip Medium. That really helped. The one thing the grip did was to cause back weighting.105 grams .Lost my swing weight feel . Club went from D-1 to C-2. the thing i did notice was more weight in the hands. That seemed to help my Transition in having more control . Did not lose any distance also made club heaver . Would like to know if anyone has tried this and what was your take it. Also i do hold the club more in the palm.

Comment

Thought I'd just mention that my personal experiment moving from a 10 finger grip to Vardon has proved disastrous for me this season (no conscious changes in my swing , just grip).

Was looking for maybe a logical reason why it wasn't working and this little excerpt below convinced me that the 10 finger grip is optimal for me (plus the fact that my scores have creeped up about 10 strokes since changing to the Vardon this season). Vardon is definitely a disadvantage for those with smaller hand spans (like mine) so back to the 10 finger grip for me.

The distance between the 1 arrows is approximately 3". The distance between the 2 arrows is approximately 1/2". With a Vardon type grip, you have a 3" irregular shape in 1/2 of the right hand and a 6 times smaller diameter in the other 1/2.

Comment

Just thought I'd add a little video I did regarding the problem I had with the Vardon grip and why I moved back to the 10 finger grip (apart from the reasoning in my previous post). From what I've read, one isn't supposed to be 'gripping with any pressure' with that right pinkie finger using the Vardon grip, so 'resting' it on top of the forefinger should be okay. But for me , it just felt like trying to fit a slightly wrong piece of a jigsaw puzzle together. There is definitely an argument for golfers with small hand spans and shorter fingers to maybe experiment with the 10 finger grip.

Comment

Ive got a lot of time for the ten finger grip (I someties use it for pitch shots).. If I started again Id be tempted to use it. Hard to rid myself of interlock when i have used it so long.

Comment

Working...
                    X