Shoulders - surprise!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulders - surprise!!!

Just reading another golf book - Todd Graves recent one about Moe Norman . Surprisingly, a lot of similarities with WIG but Mr Graves said that the shoulders work independently of each other which is something I never really considered or even contemplated checking in the golf swing (I always thought they moved together on one plane). But he's correct , I can move one shoulder up and down while the other forward and back (at the same time if I practice a bit ). I've always pictured the golf swing as both shoulders rotating on some sort of plane but maybe I've got it wrong. Maybe the lead shoulder has to move more around under your chin while the rear shoulder moves up and down . Not that I think about shoulder movements in my swing but my 'picture' of the mechanics could be drastically wrong after so many years.

Hi Schrodinger,
    I must confess that I used to have multiple golf tip sources and resources; and for me - all it did was confuse me. One said to do this, while another said to do that for the same portion of the golf swing. That is until I stumbled upon Shawn Clement and the WIG techniques; and it just made since to me. I have since deleted or changed their emails to the JUNK Folder. Since I made that move and focused and practiced exclusively on the WIG techniques my ball striking and game has improved. For the first time and I've been playing the game for a long time - I can work the ball with Fade or Draw as needed with confidence. I would suggest that you focus exclusively on the WIG techniques for a while and I bet that your game will improve. I know that it will work for you for it worked for me. And I'm not anything special, just I guy that loves the game of golf with a burning desire to play the game to best of my abilities. Good Luck!

Comment

• Schrodinger
      Schrodinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jack - Its my hobby to learn about the different techniques/actions being used in the golf swing. WIG swing has been my most successful action so far but I would like to try out and feel different actions too. I like looking for major similarities and differences in the principles of the techniques. For example, WIG swing is mainly feeling/responding to the dynamic weight of the ACU while its kinetic sequence is moving out of the way based on counterweight (ie. the hips). Moe Norman is based more on geometry where 75% of its success is based on specific grip/setup, but its also not a position based swing and there is no musculature requirement to 'manage' the swing.There are many similarities with WIG such as being target focused, skipping the stone analogy to feel the swing, positioning the COG of the clubhead in front of your sternum notch, front hip based pivot action, strong grip (but favouring the right hand, not left), 20/20 head position, power squat, lead heel allowed to rise in backswing, etc. I think there is also a similarity in the purpose of the backswing where there is no mention of X-Factor, just let the hips and shoulders turn of their own volition to enable leverage to be created. Also in the transition, both actions are more about stabilisation/bracing the lower body in preparation for the swinging of the ACU. One thing I have noticed in both swings from an individual biomechanical perspective , they don't fit my 'swing anchor' because they are front pivot actions whereas I am more a centre-rear pivot. In WIG , I can adjust my action using a centre-rear pivot and still have success. Not certain yet whether I can do the same with Moe's swing as he uses quite a lot of lateral hip movement into his front pivot whereas my body cannot do that.

• pigaman
      pigaman commented
      Editing a comment
      At some point, you just need to get on with it and swing the club. As the GolfNow commercial says "Go Play"!!!

• Schrodinger
      Schrodinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Pigaman - Yes , wish I could play more but personal circumstances are limiting my fun. Looks like I'll be a range hound for most of this season.

Just resurrecting this because of opposing views (I think) on how the shoulders move or don't move well .

Here is Shawns video

And here is Athletic Motion Golf video- check out 2:10 - 4:45

There seems to be contradictory views about whether the shoulders move together as a unit with the chest (and I'm assuming the pelvis too) . Shawn says that there is only 5% movement when both hands grip the club yet 'Athletic Motion Golf' are implying quite a bit of independent shoulder movement is required.

I tried it at home , and Shawn is correct about the retraction movement as shown in his video , but only when BOTH shoulders retract and protract together ? When I hold the golf club in front of me with both hands, I can keep my chest square and move my shoulders quite a way (maybe 20 degrees) on top of my ribcage but that involves one shoulder retracting while the other protracting.

For me specifically , my shoulders seem to move independently of each other (including my ribcage/pelvis) to get a fuller backswing (and I'm no spring chicken). I don't actually think about moving my upper body 'with/against' my 'lower body/pelvis', I just let it do whatever it wants to do when I swing perpetually.

Comment

Working...
    X