Starting the swing with your feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting the swing with your feet

Just wanted to share some insights I have gained since I last saw Shawn in his Dallas sessions. I have been following Shawn's wisdom for about the past three years with steady improvement. Slowly but surely I have been able to incorporate and ingrain visualizing the shot and making my setup match the picture. Shawn had me fine tune this process and my ball striking has improved greatly. However I still felt like I wasn't compressing the ball like I should.
    I reviewed this video
    http://youtu.be/16E-IjtCdlQ

Well what I started doing was not just rolling on the inside of my left foot to start my swing but actively PUSHING off of it.. This catapulted my ACU away with much more extension than before and cleared my hips while staying centered over the ball. When I reached the top, my left foot was the fulcrum on which my downswing automatically whips around on. Man talk about compression and increased distance!!! The only time the ball doesn't go where I aimed it is when I didn't wait for the weight of the ACU to clear my hips.

Hope that thought helps someone out there😄

As a general note, since starting with WIG I had nice progress alone due to have finally target orientation, got rid of the internal focus stuff, used external focus to target, and also lowered my strain level.
    However, old habits are not so easy to eliminate.
    Swaying was/is my big issue.
    Therefore I searched for a long time a right methode for the backswing, which should keep me more balancedd, more centered.
    Most times I failed on a long run.

After the Paris Session I was willing to give Shawns advice a trial, even if it not worked immediately in Paris.
    ACU moves in a direction 'fitting' to the intended shot and the body must go out of the way.

The basic discussion may be, start the swing with the feet and the arms move passively like in the wrecking ball analogy, or, the body goes out of the way of something already moving, which are the arms.
    Probably the difference can only be felt by the player but barely observed by somebody watching it.

Wrecking ball is definetly starting from ground up.

But in Paris the idea hit me, for chipping the ACU can move a little (maybe the hands move 10cm or so) before crashing in the rib cage. This is my trigger to open the body, to go out of the way.
    It is even a part of my warm up routine waggle a little until the ACU touches the rib cage and then 'dance' out of the way. Quite soon I developed a nice rhythm to co-ordinate both moves, the ACU going back, the body turns away. The weight of the arms jeopardizes my balance, the body (mainly the butt) compensates it in the other direction. The picture of the hill climber is very helpful.

Anyway, also for this, coming back to your question, the turning of the body out of the way, is definetly started by my feet, I can feel that for sure.
    Imagine you shall rotate your body on a very slippery surface and you immediately understand the important role of the foot action.
    Last edited by Alpineberlinette; 05-19-2015, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Swaying has definetely been an issue for me as well. Even if I sway just a little bit it means the difference between flush contact and being half a club short of the target. That's why pushing off the inside of the left foot and making it the fulcrum on which my swing circle swings around on has helped me.

Another way to stay centered and activate my hips which I have discovered is to line up my belly button to the ball then turn my hips back and through while "covering" the ball with my belly button. This has really made a huge difference in the amount of hip turn I'm getting as well as improving my balance. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your insights

Comment

• Gary
        Gary commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Everyone,

In case y'all missed this tip by Alpineberlinette replying under the post title below here it is again.

Chipping - Tips to get some height?

This kettle bell video I found after a quick search.

http://youtu.be/r2nEwrS-8t0

Watch around the 2 minute mark. You can see
        - arms move quite parallel to the toe line (not too much inside)
        - left hand under the right hand (left palm is pointing to the sky, not behind you)

This is my new chipping takeaway and also the start of full swing takeaway....and it works great.

This little tip by Alpineberlinette has stopped my sway. You feel the mountain climber analogy right away during the takeaway and the pressure goes directly to the inside of the right foot as the hips turn.

I am always looking for gold nuggets like this one on the forum. Thanks Alpine for this one.

Thanks,

Gary

Was just trying this in the living room and it does seem to minimize the tendency to sway. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

Comment

Draduran, I tried 2 ways to upload the video you mention in the first post. The first was copy and paste address from you tube. The second was click the two chain links at the top right of the message format. Past your link and click ADD A LINK. Your video should appear at the bottom of the message format.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16E-...=youtu.be&hd=1

BTW, I like your idea of [QUOTE I started doing was not just rolling on the inside of my left foot to start my swing but actively PUSHING off of it.. This catapulted my ACU away with much more extension than before and cleared my hips while staying centered over the ball. When I reached the top, my left foot was the fulcrum on which my downswing automatically whips around on. Man talk about compression and increased distance!!! ][/QUOTE].

I get the feeling that the legs are able to support more weight on my shoulders or I feel more grounded.

For me, I notice that the push off my front foot initiates my ACU into the back swing so that it feels like one fluid motion.

Last edited by Ron I; 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ron I. I'm used to the old forum and all we used to have to do was copy the link and the video would show up.

Around 33s into the video Shawn says Hunter Mahan/Shawn Foley are "trying to compress the left foot into the ground so they have something to unwind around". When I start by pushing off the inside of my left foot this happens at the beginning and I feel like I'm free to focus on my target and let centrifugal force take care of the swing automatically reacting to the weight of the ACU. The closer my swing focus gets to the ground the more my swing my swing gets repeatable and less prone to manipulation.

Last edited by Draduran; 05-21-2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X