Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shawn has a video on balance and falling sway.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn has a video on balance and falling sway.

Hi Guys, I was watching a Shawn video recently about weight distribution and how we fall forward while walking and also why if our focus isnt right we would have a tendency to sway.

Do any of you have a link to that. I cant remember what the video was called.

Anway it seemed to make a lot of sense to me. It kind of went against the weight in the heels thinking I had and I could see the logic in what he was saying. Im thinking of hitting balls with a feeling of being forward slightly because of what he was saying.

I liked his reasons for sway a lot and had not considered them before. If anyone has a link Id be grateful. I think it was about hip movement but covered dynamic weight distribution in the swing.

Gmonkey,

This is Shawn's most recent video about hip movement where he talks about the things you mentioned . . .

But he gets into more detail about the weight distribution, fall forward, and sway issue in these videos . . .

Comment

It was the middle video I was thinking of. It really is top top stuff. Thanks Cally. All my life ive fought a sway right and a sway back through. Its deffo a backswing weight distribution error of intent,.
      Its got a lot better in recent years but it does creep in now and again.

I think its tempting to load up on the back foot. Shawn must see this temptation all the time. Kind of like a pitchers wind up.

The last video @ is describing what im doing @ 1.39. Its a hip fault on backswing. I already play with both feet 'open' though. Im thinking its lazyness. The right resist and hip slide looks easier to perform than the rotation.

The last video is the best. I think everything is in that one. Shawn must feel far less weight on his back foot. I might pay for a call to Shawn to 100% clear this one up. Im coming through in the same way its just way harder to be consistent with an ingrained sway.

Im going to watch that last one on a loop until it sinks in.

And Cally you are a class act. That is exactly what I was talking about. You clearly speak golf .
      Last edited by Gmonkey; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Ok i have been thinking about this on my smoke break and thought of the reason I rejected Shawns kind of turn. When I have tried this i have often found that the temptation is to relocate your head if you turn that wide and then its push city. You can alter the spine angle behind the ball. Shawn will understand what i mean. So what stops this spine relocation? Earlier weight transfer to lead foot or head anchoring the show?

I think this is the thing missing from the video. If you have your head looking right (which I do) and you rotate open that much with the feet open (as I have) the risk is spine relocation and you are swinging right? What prevents this? Surely cant just be the head?

I hope thats clear enough question.

In fact im going to pay to email Shawn about this. Its about time I payed for some info. Its been a while.
        Last edited by Gmonkey; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

I just paid for question. Lets see what the guvnor says about the swing path re-location error.

Comment

It could be that your head is turned a little too far to the right/rear.

While you're waiting for Shawn's response, I'm thinking that this will be one of the videos Shawn refers you to where he does the 20/20 head position, and with the lower body swivel into the backswing the spine angle matches up (starting at about the 6:00 mark with the rear view starting at about the 7:45 mark) . . .

And then this one where the head is allowed to turn slightly in the backswing to the right/rear (at about the 1:55 mark), or pre-turn the head a little to the right/rear at address like Jack did as he started his swing, and then the head stays anchored/back on the (downswing) through swing until the head is collected by the shoulder and then up into the finish . . .

I'm just guessing that you might be overdoing the head turn; a key phrase Shawn has in this last video is slightly.

Anyway, let us know what Shawn says!

Edit: I re-read my post and caught myself saying downswing . . . I think we may have banned that term on this forum. Just changed it to "through swing."
            Last edited by Cally; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmonkey View Post
              Hi Guys, I was watching a Shawn video recently about weight distribution and how we fall forward while walking and also why if our focus isnt right we would have a tendency to sway.
              Actually, there are two main ways of walking. Some people let their upper body fall forward and catch themselves. This pattern is called “aerial”. Other people move their hips forward using their legs. This pattern is called "grounded". Depending on your profile, you have developed different set of muscles and it impacts your golf posture, grip and overall swing. You can determine your profile using four tests (explained below).

Posture
              For posture, there are four aspects to consider: weight distribution (feet), body angles (legs), butt and chin.

1) Weight Distribution (Feet) - Front / Back
              If you're Aerial, you need to have your weight on the front of your feet at address (first third of the feet toward the toes). Obviously don't go too far i.e. your toes shouldn't contract and you shouldn't fall forward and lose your balance.

If you're Grounded, you need to have your weight on the middle / back of your feet at address (top of the malleolus). Again, you shouldn't lose your balance and fall backward.

2) Weight Distribution (Feet) - Inside / Outside
              If you're Aerial, your weight should be outside your feet at address (think rolling your feet toward the outside). If you're Grounded, your feet should be rolled inside.

3) Body Angles (Legs)
              If you're Aerial, you shouldn't have too much angles at address (e.g. knee flex) and you should feel erect and light on your feet. If you're Grounded, you should have more angles and feel more grounded at address.

4) Butt
              If you're Aerial, do not push your butt back (no anteversion). Your lower back should be relaxed and rounded (think Rory or Bubba). If you're Grounded, your butt should be back and hips in anteversion (don't go too far. This shouldn't hurt). Also, your lower back should be curved if you're Grounded (think Ryan Moore).

5) Chin
              Aerial people have their head down as they fall forward and have therefore developed an "up" vision to compensate. In the same way, Grounded people have their head up and have a developed a "down" vision to compensate. This directly affects the position of your chin at address. If you're Aerial, you need to keep your chin down. If you're Grounded, you need to keep your chin up.

Grip
              Aerial people are supinators. Therefore, they should apply pressure on the club using the last three fingers of their hands. Grounded people are pronators and should apply pressure on the club using their thumb and index finger. You obviously also hold the club with your three other fingers but pressure should be applied with thumbs and index fingers.

Impulse
              The profile type also impacts the way you initiate your swing. Aerial are light on their feet at address and should stay light in the backswing and could even physically go up. They then fall down and then rebound in the impact zone (that's the way they walk). It's an UP-DOWN-UP motion. Note that this could only be a feel as people don't necessarily go up or down physically. This is more or less pronounced in different golfers.

If we look at Rory McIlroy (Aerial), we can see that he’s really going down from the top of the backswing and then up (rebound). Note that Rory doesn’t physically go up in the backswing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rory.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	9054

Grounded people are grounded at address and already down. They should feel like they're even going more down into the ground in the backswing. They then go progressively up in the impact zone and the follow-through. This is a DOWN-DOWN-UP motion.

If we look at Jordan Spieth (Grounded), we can see that he’s going even more down in the backswing and then up in the follow-through and after.

Name:	jordan.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	9055

The full analysis is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjsY1BMhrI starting at 3:55. It is in French but you’ll be able to see the different positions.

It may sound complicated but it's not as this is a natural movement.

Aerial or Grounded?
              You need to perform four tests to figure out if you're Aerial or Grounded. At least 3 out of the 4 tests should give the same profile otherwise something is wrong and you need to start the tests again. I took quick pictures to show what the positions look like. Hope they’re clear…

Test 1
              Take the Grounded posture (weight on the back of your feet / on top of the malleolus, angles in the legs (knee flex), butt back and hips in anteversion, chin high) and have someone push you progressively on the shoulder from the side with one hand. See if you can resist or not.

IMPORTANT: The push should always be gentle and progressive (not abrupt) and the person being pushed should not try to compensate or anticipate the push by leaning toward the person pushing.

Now, take the Aerial posture (weight on the front of your feet, light, no angles, butt and lower back relaxed, chin down) and do the same test.

You need to test both positions. If you can keep the Grounded posture then you're Grounded. If you can keep the Aerial posture then you're Aerial.

Name:	front push.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	9056
              This is the general position (adjust your weight, butt, angles, etc. according to the above instructions) and have someone push you along the red arrow. Do the test on firm and flat ground (not on grass like me!).

Test 2
              Take the position shown in the picture above, legs straight and roll your feet inside (weight inside your feet). Have someone push you on the shoulder from the side and see if you can resist.

Take the position shown in the picture above, legs straight and roll your feet outside (weight outside your feet). Have someone push you on the shoulder from the side and see if you can resist.

Do both tests. If you can resist with the feet rolled inside then you're Grounded. If you can resist with the feet rolled outside then you're Aerial.

Test 3
              Stand up and push your right leg forward and your left leg backward. Extend your arms in front of you, palm down and close your fists. Then roll your forearms and hands inside (if you extend your thumbs they point down). Have someone in front of you grab your wrists (both of them) and push you backward. Again, gentle and progressive push. See if you can resist or not.

Name:	palm down2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	9057

Now, take the same position but turn your palm up. Have someone in front of you grab your wrists and push you backward gently and progressively. Can you resist or not?

Name:	palm up 2.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	9058

If you could resist in the first case, then you're Grounded. If you could resist in the second case then you're Aerial.

Test 4
              Stand up and look straight in front of you. Have someone stand one and a half yard in front of you with a golf ball in each hand. One hand 1.5 feet above the "vision" line (parallel to the ground) and the other hand 1.5 feet below the vision line. Which ball can you see better? If it's the up ball then you're Aerial. If it's the down ball then you're Grounded.

Conclusion
              I did the tests myself and I am Aerial. As an Aerial, I had a go at the UP-DOWN-UP motion as I didn’t feel it in my swing. The sequence is to go up in the backswing feeling light. From the top of the backswing, I just let myself fall vertically (and not laterally i.e. I do not try to transfer weight). I do not manipulate my arms when falling so my arms just go down at the same time. I just then go up (rebound) while going through the impact zone. I got it after a few tries. It really feel like I'm slinging the club. This is the same feel I have when swinging a medicine ball.

Note that you may go into the ground or top the ball at first. Adjust the up motion and the vertical fall accordingly until you find your natural move i.e. do not move up physically if it doesn’t work for you and try different falling height. Obviously, take practice swings as necessary.

This is obviously different if you’re Grounded but I’ve not looked into it as this is not my profile.

Additional notions
              I got this information from an “Action-Types” curriculum applied to golf (unfortunately, there is not a lot of information in English available on the Net as this was developed by French-speaking coaches). I hope you’ll find it useful. Note that there are additional differences between people like their mobility point i.e. sternum or belly button with more or less dissociation between upper and lower body (impacts the “motor” of the swing), the verticality / horizontality of their swing (impacts the arms position), their motor eye (different from the dominant eye used for alignment) or the amplitude of their swing (short-long a.k.a hitter or long-short a.k.a swinger). But I've not looked at it in details yet. If anybody is interested, just let me know and I’ll dig into it.

Comment

A video showing the two ways of walking and their differences.
                https://youtu.be/yGD01xBzFjg

Comment

Shawn did indeed email me an answer. I have to devote some time to it so Ill post back. It was in the form of great comments and videos. As for 'two types of walking' that has cooked my brain a bit. (FERKO !). I just assumed that everyone was 'aerial'. Im going to devote my time to Shawns answer then look into my walking style and report back. He said he was in London England in June and I didnt know that. Quite a way for me but im going to check out my summer plans. Ok guys speak soon.

Comment

• Schrodinger
                    Schrodinger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Gary - that's quite close to me. Will look forward to seeing Shawn.

• Schrodinger
                    Schrodinger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gary - Is this correct about Shawn attending Bird's Hill Golf Facility? Its not in London but located in Berkshire about 20 miles away from Heathrow Airport.

• Schrodinger
                    Schrodinger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Many thanks

I copied this location from the current newsletter. I would double check this location with Wisdom In Golf to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger View Post
                    Gary - Is this correct about Shawn attending Bird's Hill Golf Facility? Its not in London but located in Berkshire about 20 miles away from Heathrow Airport.
                    here's a quick link - seems like the right place..

good luck and have fun UK WIG friends..should be a great few days

http://www.birdhills.co.uk/about_us.html

http://www.birdhills.co.uk/course/driving_range.html

cheers

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
                    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Converted my above message into two blogs to be able to add more pictures (limited to 5 in one message/blog):

How the way you walk impacts your golf swing
                      https://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/b...our-golf-swing

Aerial or Grounded? The tests
                      https://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/b...nded-the-tests

Comment

Also wrote a blog on the mobile point in the golf swing according to "action type"
                        https://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/b...the-golf-swing

Comment

Working...
                        X