Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Germany

Hi all,

fsome months ago I discovered the videos Shawn presents to the internet.
    I like it very much that he teaches dynamic and not positions.
    Sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what I mean.
    I am 61 years old and I play for about 30 years. I play around 12ish. I am not very strong and the length of my shots is getting shorter and shorter.
    I think my problem is that I am hitting the ball and not hitting to the target. I know that and I cannot change it. When I make a practice swing in the air buzz the loudest in front of the all and not behind the ball.
    If someone has an idea of how to change that, I would be very lucky.
    Maybe, Shawn has an idea. i think that very many golfers suffer from this phenomena.

Hope that was not too boring

cheers Heiner

Guten abend Heiner. Not sure I understand what you mean by "the air buzz the loudest in front of the all and not behind the ball" in your practice swing. If you play 12ish, you must be a pretty good golfer. What are you trying to improve?

Comment

Hi Ferko,
      yes 12ish sound good, but I played around 9 until four years ago. Today I very seldom reach a green in regulation. The buzz- what I mean... I try to put it in other words.
      When you do a practice swing, you hear where the sound of the club travelling through the air is the loudest. Which also means this is the fastet part of the swing. This part is in my swing before the club hits the ball and not after the club hits the ball. I think if I could change this it would be a real improvement.

Comment

Hi guys,

This is something that is very easy to SAY, yet sometimes very difficult to DO...

To ME, the answer lies in one's MENTAL INTENTION.

When you make a practice swing, your intention is to SWING the club. When you step up to the ball, your intention shifts to HIT the BALL? Why?
        What is the PURPOSE of the "practice swing"? Why do you swing DIFFERENTLY when the ball is present?
        Because we are trying to HIT rather than SWING...

Many of us, maybe most of us...perhaps ALL of us have, at one time in our golf-careers, have been CONDITIONED to think HIT the BALL
        If that is our PLAN (read: Intention), WHY are we practicing that which we are practicing??

It is not so much how we SWING that is the problem.... It is how we THINK.
        The ball is NOT our target. Stop thinking that way.
        Focus and SWING in the direction of the target and just let the ball get in the way.

dude abides
        Last edited by COSTA103; 4 weeks ago.
        "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
        Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Originally posted by Heiner08 View Post
          Hi Ferko,
          yes 12ish sound good, but I played around 9 until four years ago. Today I very seldom reach a green in regulation. The buzz- what I mean... I try to put it in other words.
          When you do a practice swing, you hear where the sound of the club travelling through the air is the loudest. Which also means this is the fastet part of the swing. This part is in my swing before the club hits the ball and not after the club hits the ball. I think if I could change this it would be a real improvement.
          To be sure I understand, your practice swing "sounds" good (swish out there toward the target) but not your swing when the ball is in play? Do you have the same issue on the range and/or on the golf course?

You may try to change your focus. For exemple, I like to target a certain height with the driver. I target a cloud in the sky or something high in the distance and keep that (and only that) in mind when swinging. This is something Shawn taught me a few years back when he was in Paris. With the driver in hand, he asked me to target the top of the tree line in the distance and it worked very well.

I must say it doesn't work that well for me with irons but you may want to try it (change in focus) and see how it goes. After each shot, you could try to evaluate if you stayed with the target (clouds, etc.) or not.

If you don't already do so, you could also add systematically a shape to your shot (draw or fade) and keep that in mind too.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiner08 View Post
            Hi Ferko,
            Hi Heiner

glad to see you on the Forum - your English is definitely better than my German .. so here we go!

Your question and observations seem so simple at first - but they lead to some important things in trying to build an understanding of what a golf swing can be and how it works.

There have been all kinds of books and videos, lectures and important work done on this topic and I doubt I can add anything too much .. but maybe help you work through some of the things that you're bringing up.

let's start with the issue at hand .. until about 4 years ago you had a swing working that you could rely on to get around the course. Then, something changed.

You're asking now .. about the relationship about the 'whoosh' or change of sound when the club is at full acceleration.. this is at the heart of it..

the sort of 'before and after' around 4 years ago when something changed..

which brings up a couple of important questions..

how were you producing power 4 years ago to make the 'woosh' and put power into your intention?

and was it the same way that you're doing it now .. with the fastest part being before the club hits the ball?

here's another question -

would it surprise you to know that the fastest part of the swing and the 'woosh' actually happens after the club has made contact with the ball?

yep - it's for real..

taken me years to sort it out .. the various 'hows' and 'whys' ..

the net of it is that the way that the clubs are actually built/designed to be used and the physics present in the actual golf swing ..if given a chance, will produce a 'woosh' after contact..

In WIG terms .. and Costa has already shared this .. it's about staying in the shot vs. 'hitting the ball'..

for now - and in hopes that we can have a good shared conversation - I'll leave it with the idea that if you're able to allow the club to 'release' .. the club will 'woosh' or accelerate after the ball ..

there is a lot more to this - and I've had this 'figured out' only to realize that I was not even close to having it right .. and I was still able to play golf (even fairly reasonable scoring) but like you, I know that there is a way to have a faster, easier more efficient swing .. we are all on the same path, trying to get better, trying to get an understanding and keep learning.

I hope that this is of some help as a starting point.

cheers for now

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
            tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Dear Ferko, dear kid_fullerene,
              First of all, thanks for your answers. I am sorry for my delay. This is due to my illness. It will probably take a few days, maybe weeks until I can come back to my own thread.
              Please be patient and do forgive me for my unusual behavior.
              Cheers Heiner

Comment

• kid_fullerene
                kid_fullerene commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Heiner

feel better soon, so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well - when you're ready to get back in action, we'll pick it back up with you. If you have some time to meditate on 'the fastest part of the swing' .. the magic is a bit of remarkable physics, where the clubhead accelerates past the handle (and hands) . often you will hear this described as the 'release of the clubhead' .. in WIG .. you might hear Shawn say 'powerful whipping action' .. it's a wonderful combination of turn and 'fall' .. where gravity can play a role in adding speed to your swing.. for free.. if I had to have you try and learn and understand any one thing about the golf swing .. I'd have you start there.. and for what it's worth, impact or the point where clubhead finds ball .. actually occurs a split second before the clubhead reaches its full speed.. hmmmm pretty amazing stuff! cheers for now, k_f
            Working...
            X