Swing speed surprise???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing speed surprise???

So I got one of those Bell swing speed monitors and headed out to the range. Hitting drives and my ss was pretty much always just around 105. I tried relaxing, swinging harder, being loose and although I could get it to 108 a few times it was pretty much always the same...except a few times where it was significantly higher up to 119mph??? The ball flew significantly farther and I had to do a double take looking at the radar reading. What had I done differently to get that? I tried again everything I could think of and same thing 105-108. Frustrated to find that feeling I just couldn't and almost gave up when there is was again. I could tell instantly by the ball hit and flight before even looking at the radar that it was faster and sure enough there was another 120mph reading. But just like before I have no idea what I had done differently??? I continued on trying to figure out just what the difference was with same results.....105-108 and an occasional 118mph+ reading coming up?

To be honest I left the practice session somewhat perplexed, a little frustrated, but a little encouraged. Obviously I have it in me but what I was doing to get these great ball strikes with hi swing speeds I have no idea??? Anyone ever have something like this happen and have any advice?

Hi K

awesome that you have that new tool to help you get some feedback on your swing. Like any device or 'map' .. it's not the territory.. just a representation. If you're working around 105-110 - on a consistent basis.. that's a pretty decent swing speed .. and assuming you're making consistent contact .. you'd achieve a ball speed around 135-140 mph which should give you decent distances.

I grabbed an article I saw last year to give you a baseline .. worth a read .. but FWIW - relatively slow swingers of the club like Els and McDowell are on average about 111 mph.

https://www.swingmangolf.com/average...speed-chart-2/

so while higher speeds are out there .. and they can be realized even by amateurs .. being realistic about how much upside can be achieved is also important.

Consistent flight, direction and known carries are crucial to a game where you are trying to achieve predictability and scoring.

As to your 'anomalous swings that achieved 120' .. my guess is that you likely achieved a better release .. so that a relaxed swing had great energy transfer into the club head.. the better 'whipping action' that you hear about ..

believe it or not .. that often has a lot more to do with smoothness, rhythm and tempo more than putting a lot of effort into it. The important thing is that you know that it's 'out there' for you.. the critical thing would be not to chase hard after it..

a 'game' you could play is to see how much speed you could realize with what feels like the least amount of potential effort and the smoothest swings ..

if you could achieve 111 like 'the Big Easy' .. and know where it's going .. you could have a lot of fun on the golf course..

hope that's of some help..

cheers

k_f
    from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Hi K5,

My advice (fwiw) would be to read kid's assessment above and then...….read it again.
      Then go out and adhere to it. Go home and read it again.

As kid suggested, what I believe you experienced was "release".
      Release, as in the ABSENCE of "doing" something?

The more you try and chase it by DOING something, the more it will elude you.

Relax, and let it come to you.
      After all, there's nothing shabby about 108 - 110?

dude abides

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
      Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

108 is a very nice swing speed. Thats a 260-280 yard drive dependent on conditions.

Thats my driver average swing speed.

I dont play any course that needs a longer drive than that.

If you play championship courses (or hope to) that 108 vs 120 will mean the difference between a 5 iron or 8 iron then maybe. If thats your level then great. Because that is certainly what a top player works on.

We are talking regular accurate swing speed here.

I could go higher than 108 but my stupid lateral hip bump and early extention would send it 120 straight Right Right Right. hahahaha

As the guys have said relaxed muscles can produce more speed so you are just going to have to get yourself more data on the range. That data will depend on how you power your swing. But as Costa says you could tie yourself in knots if you aint careful.
        Last edited by Gmonkey; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by K5thbeatle View Post
          So I got one of those Bell swing speed monitors and headed out to the range. Hitting drives and my ss was pretty much always just around 105. I tried relaxing, swinging harder, being loose and although I could get it to 108 a few times it was pretty much always the same...except a few times where it was significantly higher up to 119mph??? The ball flew significantly farther and I had to do a double take looking at the radar reading. What had I done differently to get that? I tried again everything I could think of and same thing 105-108. Frustrated to find that feeling I just couldn't and almost gave up when there is was again. I could tell instantly by the ball hit and flight before even looking at the radar that it was faster and sure enough there was another 120mph reading. But just like before I have no idea what I had done differently??? I continued on trying to figure out just what the difference was with same results.....105-108 and an occasional 118mph+ reading coming up?

To be honest I left the practice session somewhat perplexed, a little frustrated, but a little encouraged. Obviously I have it in me but what I was doing to get these great ball strikes with hi swing speeds I have no idea??? Anyone ever have something like this happen and have any advice?
          Hi guys,
          Hi K5,

With the significantly higher swing speed radar readings on your monitor, when you say that the ball flew significantly farther, what was the distance that you're talking about K5?

I ask because at swing speeds between 118 mph - 120 mph (which is right up there with the fastest swingers and longest hitters on the PGA Tour, see the chart that "kid" posted) the golf ball should be going well beyond the 300 yard mark). If this is the case then that's fantastic, but if it isn't then I think the significantly higher swing speed readings you had were erroneous.

Apart from swing speed, of course distance varies depending on conditions and factors such as temperature, launch, spin, center-of-face contact, etcetera, but just for comparison purposes here's a video where Shawn had a consistent swing speed of 111 mph (which happens to be the same swing speed as Ernie Els and Graeme McDowell shown in the chart that "kid" posted), and with that 111 mph swing speed, Shawn's carry distance was 300 yards with a total distance of 320 yards . . .

I post this Shawn video only for a general comparison, and to suggest that if your swing speed was in the 118 mph - 120 mph range then I would expect that your golf ball should be going a good bit farther that what Shawn was doing in this video. And I don't say this to discourage you K5, but if it wasn't then I'd say it's more than likely that the 105 mph - 108 mph reading that you were consistently getting on your monitor was closer to accurate.

FWIW, like Gmonkey, 108 mph is my max swing speed, and according to an indoor launch monitor at a golf store this produces a 282 yard total distance drive on average (with 287 yards max). This should be somewhere (plus or minus) in the range where you were too K5 with the 105 mph - 108 mph swing speeds that you were getting, and in my humble opinion is a swing speed that's better than the average bear. I don't think there are too many amateurs who have a swing speed north of 110 mph on a consistent basis.

Anyway, I just put this out there to suggest that it's possible that the occasional significantly higher swing speed readings you were getting (118 mph - 120 mph) might not have been accurate, and so it might not have been anything that you were necessarily doing differently with your swing.

Comment

• kid_fullerene
            kid_fullerene commented
            Editing a comment
            Cally

awesome thoughts - so great to see you back in action on the WIG forum!

cheers

k_f

On those few where it (swing speed) was that high the ball flew off the club and was easily past the last flag at 300+. I felt like I was 30 again (!!!) but I still don't know what I did differently exactly?

Comment

• Cally
            Cally commented
            Editing a comment
            That's fantastic K5! Maybe it was a "better release" that was the difference as kid suggested.
        Working...
        X