Keep the ball under the wind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep the ball under the wind

I had my hand surgery 3 weeks ago, but played - against the recommendation of the doc - already 4 rounds. The first 3 were fantastic. I reported recently, I turn more and make nothings else than club throwing. Works fantastic. Today, 4th round was not bad, 3 nice birdies. But we had really strong wind today in Germany. My 6 bogeys all happend, because I tried to keep the ball low. Most times the ball was too much left. I know the modern ball flight laws of course.
    Need your help, what I have to do exactly, to propel the ball to my target with a low, or very low height.
    BTW, I believe, with the driver, lower in the tee, more back in the stance, the ball flight is lower, but also higher spin, what reduces the distance of course. Wrong angle of attac or spin loft?
    And BTW. I had tail wind on a long par 4 and the ball went very long, about 280 m. The PW from 115m was too short, did not even reached the green. Can it be, that the storm behind me, pressed the starting ball down? I believed to see that, the contact was not bad and I initially believed, I should reach the flag.
    Maybe a british links golfer can answer that question, they must play often in such conditions.

Hi guys,

​Marcus gets THREE Crackpot National "demerits" for Disobeying his Physician....

MY tactic when playing into the wind is play MORE club and focus on swinging more SMOOTHLY.
    More club = lower loft; keeps it more below the wind naturally. Smooth swing reduces the spin and helps to keep it from "ballooning"?

With the Driver into the wind I just try and hit a Draw all the time. The counter-clockwise rotation seems to help keep the ball lower vs. a Fade?

On "appeal", perhaps the CNCC membership will rule to REDUCE the "demerits" due to the "sanctity" of the "compelling" circumstances.....

dude abides
    Last edited by COSTA103; 01-30-2016, 05:19 PM.
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Dude..

I'll petition the Competition Committee for a waiver on the demerits..clearly Alpine is to be forgiven for his considerable excitement and desire to play the great game in this New Season - and with great scores..who can blame him..???

That waiver having been granted - please let me add my voice to the Abiding One's ..and suggest you please take it easy and not press too hard or come back too soon - the year is young and there is plenty of golf left in 2016..We will miss you at the 'National' - but your locker will be just how you left it - and the bag boys have put some extra care into cleaning your clubs and custom 'muscle car' golf cart..

cheers

k_f
      from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
      tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Originally posted by kid_fullerene View Post
        Dude..

I'll petition the Competition Committee for a waiver on the demerits..clearly Alpine is to be forgiven for his considerable excitement and desire to play the great game in this New Season - and with great scores..who can blame him..???

That waiver having been granted - please let me add my voice to the Abiding One's ..and suggest you please take it easy and not press too hard or come back too soon - the year is young and there is plenty of golf left in 2016..We will miss you at the 'National' - but your locker will be just how you left it - and the bag boys have put some extra care into cleaning your clubs and custom 'muscle car' golf cart..

cheers

k_f
        ​Hi guys,
        "Interesting"......
        "Petition" AND "granted" in the SAME post?
        Must be some form of Quantum Entanglement of Intention going on to have them BOTH be "reality" at the SAME time?

Interesting concept, kid......
        I'll have to dwell on that for a bit.....

dude abides

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
        Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post

​Hi guys,
          "Interesting"......
          "Petition" AND "granted" in the SAME post?
          Must be some form of Quantum Entanglement of Intention going on to have them BOTH be "reality" at the SAME time?

Interesting concept, kid......
          I'll have to dwell on that for a bit.....

dude abides
          Abiding One -

as you well know - at a quantum level, everything that could possibly happen has already happened - so the committee having already heard the petition, granted it, experienced Alpine's happiness and great golf ..just simply went back to their business of being the target..

what is real from there..

well that's up to those who choose to view the target..

and let the swing choose them..

cheers

k_f
          from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
          tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

• pigaman
            pigaman commented
            Editing a comment
            Brilliant!!!!!!!

As someone who angered the golf gods last season by attempting to choose his own swing, (golf blasphemy) I shall attempt to atone for past sins by allowing my swing to choose me and hopefully the Field will reveal itself to me again as it did in 2014.

Cheers for now, I'm heading to the range to let it happen.

FJ
            Last edited by pigaman; 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM.

Hi guys,

​I just saw this video which was published a few days ago about how to hit a wedge into a stiff wind. Granted there's a little plug at the end for Callaway wedges, but this video features Tom Watson who many of us are a fan of, and he gives the same advice that our friend "costa dude" did in this thread . . .

"Swing with ease into the breeze."

Comment

Hi guys,

​Back on this subject of playing into the wind (along with using more club and swinging smoothly to get the ball where you need it to go) I'm just curious if there's a general rule of thumb for how much difference or loss of distance there is when playing a standard shot directly into the wind.

I found this calculation on the internet for loss of distance into the wind (1.5 yards per 1 mph wind speed) . . . I realize there are variables (e.g., gusts, changing wind direction, etcetera) but in your experience does this sound about right as a general rule for playing directly into a hurting wind?

Wind Speed / Distance Loss:

5 mph / 7.5 yards
            10 mph / 15 yards
            15 mph / 22.5 yards
            20 mph / 30 yards

If not, what would be a good rule of thumb?

And how do you factor wind into the equation when putting? Do you judge this strictly by feel and experience or is there a more scientific approach? Just curious what your thoughts are, and what works for you.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Cally View Post
              Hi guys,

​Back on this subject of playing into the wind (along with using more club and swinging smoothly to get the ball where you need it to go) I'm just curious if there's a general rule of thumb for how much difference or loss of distance there is when playing a standard shot directly into the wind.

I found this calculation on the internet for loss of distance into the wind (1.5 yards per 1 mph wind speed) . . . I realize there are variables (e.g., gusts, changing wind direction, etcetera) but in your experience does this sound about right as a general rule for playing directly into a hurting wind?

Wind Speed / Distance Loss:

5 mph / 7.5 yards
              10 mph / 15 yards
              15 mph / 22.5 yards
              20 mph / 30 yards

If not, what would be a good rule of thumb?

And how do you factor wind into the equation when putting? Do you judge this strictly by feel and experience or is there a more scientific approach? Just curious what your thoughts are, and what works for you.

Thanks in advance!
              ​If anyone is interested, I found this Trackman video that shows calculations for differences in distance that are pretty close and consistent to the calculations I listed above. Also, I thought it was interesting when it was said that at higher wind speeds a headwind hurts twice as much as a tailwind helps . . .

BTW, I also found some information in "Dave Pelz's Putting Bible" about how wind, even at ground level, influences a putt. For example a 20 mph sustained wind (like what I experienced yesterday) can move a putt dramatically off-line. So he says you need to play for more or less break (depending) if it's a sustained wind, but don't change your line if it's only gusts. Anyway, his basic conclusion is as I suspected that it's a guess based on experience.

Comment

Hi guys,

Now that spring is almost here and many of us will be getting outside again, I thought I would put a couple of Shawn's regular YouTube videos in this thread on keeping the ball low when playing into the wind.

First, this one on "Driver Into the Wind" is one that I want to work on this season to lower the trajectory . . .

As referenced earlier in this thread, Shawn quotes "Swing with ease into the breeze" in this driver video.

And then there's this older video on the "Low Stinger Shot" . . .

(BTW, I should have put the thread I started yesterday on distance loss in cold weather in this "On Course Demands" section for easier reference, but I wasn't paying attention.)

Comment

• Ken Robie
                  Ken Robie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a real problem with this concept from a reality physics point. If you swing with a ball speed of 200 MPH and a back spin of 1,000 (all numbers here are WAG on my part) and the ball goes 400 yards on a calm day. And somebody swings with a ball speed of 100 MPH and a back spin of 4,000 on a calm day and the ball goes 150 yards. That same 1st swing is going to go farther than the second slow swing into the wind every time regardless.
              Working...
              X