Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spine Angle/Posture

Hello All,

I'm working with my brother on maintaining some posture through his entire golf swing. Does anyone know if any videos in which Shawn talks about maintaining spine angle through the golf swing?

Originally posted by chardrice View Post
    Hello All,

I'm working with my brother on maintaining some posture through his entire golf swing. Does anyone know if any videos in which Shawn talks about maintaining spine angle through the golf swing?
    Hi Richard,

This is the first one that comes to mind, a great one (with some drills in it from older videos, e.g., the two ball drill) for maintaining posture/spine angle through the golf swing . . .

And here's the kettle bell spine angle drill to practice the feel for maintaining posture through the swing . . .

Also, I thought I would put this one in here too where Shawn talks about keeping the rear foot planted until after impact to help maintain the spine angle through impact (at the 2:30 mark) . . .

Last edited by Cally; 02-20-2017, 09:43 AM. Reason: Add video

Comment

Thank you Cally!

Comment

This has probably been answered before (but I've forgotten), but do we stop using a braced tilt for short chips and pitches?

I was at the range yesterday and hit 200 balls with a full swing using my wedges up to 6 iron (did okay - no wild shots even after not hitting a golf ball since last October) .But I was pretty flakey with my 100 short chips and pitches and frustratingly started shanking a few with my WIG technique. As per norm, this always creates brain tension and doubt in my short game and I tend to turn into a 'piece of wood' .

Anyhow, it was the same old problem that keeps creeping into my game and seems to be caused by my braced tilt which I use for my full WIG swing and habitually continue to use for my short game. But of course, using a braced tilt will close the shoulders quite a bit and my swing path (although from my own perspective seems okay and following approx the line of my shoulders) is (to an outside observer) way too inside to out (shank city).

So does this mean that the spine angle for short chips and pitches should be more centralised than tilted?
        Last edited by Schrodinger; 02-21-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Schrodinger, not sure what you mean by more centralized than tilted. I set up with a small "y" (ACU has lag set at address) and more weight on front foot which sets up my posture. Shawn's video on setting the sternal notch hopefully answers your question.

This video is "How to feel the chip and pitch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69nets7AVM

Last edited by Ron I; 02-22-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger View Post
            Anyhow, it was the same old problem that keeps creeping into my game and seems to be caused by my braced tilt which I use for my full WIG swing and habitually continue to use for my short game. But of course, using a braced tilt will close the shoulders quite a bit and my swing path (although from my own perspective seems okay and following approx the line of my shoulders) is (to an outside observer) way too inside to out (shank city).So does this mean that the spine angle for short chips and pitches should be more centralised than tilted?
            Hi guys,
            Hi Schrodinger,

It sounds to me that you were pre-turning the shoulders at set-up which will close the shoulders to the end target. This is okay for a full swing where there's a weight shift and when you're getting behind the ball when the ball is back of center for a draw and starting the ball to the right of the end target.

However, as with a fade, a pre-turn for a chip shot won't work because this set-up doesn't match with the picture and where you need to send the momentum of the swing. Also, remember that for a chip and a short pitch there isn't a weight shift as with a full swing, so the set-up and feel for these short game shots is much more like that of a one leg swing where you keep the weight forward throughout (no weight shift).

So just set-up the way Ron said, weight forward, hands forward, and sternal notch in front, but don't pre-turn or close the shoulders at address; and just remember that you want the feel of your set-up to match the picture for where you want to send the momentum.

Comment

• Schrodinger
              Schrodinger commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Cally and Ron - I think the word Shawn uses is 'stacked' and I think that also means my head,spine more vertically 'stacked' (from a face-one view) over my lead hip.

Even with my wrong 'tilted/closed shoulder' setup I was able to get my sternum notch over or ahead of ball and still have braced tilt. When I did the PMD for the chip it felt okay as if I was delivering the momentum to target (because I was predicting a more rounded turn from inside to square to in) but obviously my weight must have been shifting a little (sometimes). I wasn't shanking all the time so it was a conundrum for me why it sort of reared its ugly head out of the blue.

I felt it happened when I tried to get a little more momentum either via the body or the arms (using the braced tilt setup in error) so that must have been when my weight and centre of swing must have shifted forward a bit .

What I found great about my 'wrong setup' was the extra degree of freedom I felt to turn and swing my arms but obviously at a cost.

PS. After seeing the video that Ron posted I think I found out what I was doing slightly wrong. I was correctly getting my sternum notch in front/over the ball but also incorrectly feeling that braced tilt' . To meet that criteria I'd HAVE to turn my shoulders more. But the question is why did I feel that the club was still being swung to target? This could be because in my full swing, even with closed shoulders at address I was swinging to target even though it felt the ball was going to go way right. It was a habit feel that I've allowed to enter into my short game.
              Last edited by Schrodinger; 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM.

Schrodinger, here's a video that I think will help you fine tune your perception of your set-up and sending the momentum into your picture (the chipping starts at the 3:52 mark) . . .

Comment

• Schrodinger
              Schrodinger commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Cally - a nice little video there by Shawn. I've also found a little snippet of information that might prevent unnecessary direction issues for small chips/pitches. Something that I realised I was doing wrong with my grip pressure at address but I'll create another thread for that in the 'Short Game' category.

• Schrodinger
              Schrodinger commented
              Editing a comment
              My chipping is so much better now and no shanks (yet) . Amazing how a tiny change in setup can have such a dramatic effect.

Just thought I'd mention a routine I found that has helped me attain what I hope is the correct posture. I've found that I can still experience that suction cup feeling through the arches of my feet even if my posture primary angles are too upright. So I tried this below and its helped me enormously to experience a much more expansive freer swinging of the arms.

Biggest change in my swing is the Primary angle of my posture after I used this setup routine.

1. Stand up naturally straight (arms hanging comfortably straight too)
            2. Slide my hands down the front of my thighs (as I bend from the hips) until my fingers reached just above the knobbly part of the front of the knees. While still feeling that 'suction cup' feeling through the arches of my feet.

It feels very strange indeed because I seem to be so much closer to the ball . But when I look in the mirror compared to my previous posture , my shoulders seem to have moved down only a few inches (but it feels a lot more). Those few inches have made a big difference to enabling the free swinging of my arms back and through and there doesn't seem to be as much strain on my lumber spine.

When I check in the mirror where my right elbow was using my previous posture , it was 'pistoned' and 'flying out' way behind my shirt seam so I must have been going a little OTT to prevent a crash of my right elbow into the side of my body on the downswing. Weird how such relatively tiny changes in golf posture can have such a big impact.

Comment

• Gary
              Gary commented
              Editing a comment
              I was watching this video this morning and it reminded me of your post that you made on this thread. I believe it is a good visual of what you described.

https://youtu.be/bH3mmF03mDo

• Schrodinger
              Schrodinger commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Gary - yes that's how I get my posture angle correct for every shot now (my feet under my hips to begin with and then maybe adjust stance depending on what type of shot I am picturing).

Hi Dinger...
            I LIKE it!

Now....I'm VERY comfortable that MY golf-posture is OK? I tried Dinger's process and I ended up in PRECISELY that SAME posture!

The only editorialization that I'd suggest is in: "...stand up naturally straight....."
            Want to make sure that your FEET are "comfortably" set apart for a GOLF motion? (may be a bit "wider" than our "natural" stand up straight?)

I LIKE it!

I'm going to "field-test" this in my upcoming client-sessions.
            I have found that many of them struggle with what an appropriate golf-posture feels like?

I'll report back....

Thanks, Dinger!

dude abides
            "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
            Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hi Schrodinger,
              Hi Everyone,

I agree with "Dude".

As you do what Schrodinger recommends in his post you will feel the quads and glutes engage. See the video below.

Ball Below the Feet: 3/14/2011
              https://youtu.be/DHNokrTI98A
              It is your quads and gluteus that support your golf swing, not your quads and calfs. You want to feel the heels of both feet support your swing. See starting at the 4:00 minute how to support your golf posture.

Thanks,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger View Post
                1. Stand up naturally straight (arms hanging comfortably straight too)2. Slide my hands down the front of my thighs (as I bend from the hips) until my fingers reached just above the knobbly part of the front of the knees. While still feeling that 'suction cup' feeling through the arches of my feet.
                Hi guys,
                Hi Schrodinger,

I like it too!

Just want to ask what you think of doing your suggestion with one hand only instead of both hands.

What I mean is if you grip the club with the lead hand (left for me) first, and then slide the rear hand (right for me) down the thigh until the fingers reach just above the knobby part of the front of the knee to get you into the "suction cup" posture, and once there allow the rear arm to hang naturally, and then grip the club with the rear hand.

Do you see this working the same way in effect, but allowing you to do it with a club already in your hand (at least one hand that is initially)?

Comment

• Schrodinger
                  Schrodinger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds good to me Cally . I am guessing your way would assist with alignment and stop your right shoulder closing too much when you take your grip.

PS. Just tried your way Cally and I felt that my left leg quad/glute didn't feel engaged ? How weird is that ? I tried pressing the clubshaft horizontally against my upper thighs and then allowed the arms/hands/club to to slide down just above the knobbly part of my knee and then it felt that both quads/glutes were engaged. Maybe its just a preferential thing but whatever slight change to the method, at least I know I've created the correct posture to allow my arms to swing nice and free.
                  Last edited by Schrodinger; 09-14-2017, 09:44 AM.

• Cally
                  Cally commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Schrodinger! I feel that both ways work for me. The main thing is knowing/feeling the correct posture.

As a side note, I've seen a few people get set-up to the ball and then take their right (trail) hand off of the club and just let their arm/hand hang naturally and then they re-grip the club. When they do this I suppose they could be confirming a number of things are set correctly including posture, distance to ball, and so on.
              Working...
              X