Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Golf is played Inside the Feet"

Hi guys,

I've heard this quote before, "Golf is played inside the feet," and while I don't know who originally said this, I found a golf blog stating that both Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods made this statement. And interestingly, Shawn was mentioned/cited in this blog along with a post of his "Golf Leg and Footwork" video where (among other things) Shawn demonstrates rolling on the "insides" of the feet like Jack Nicklaus.

Here's a link to the blog that I thought you might like to see . . .

http://golfshane.blogspot.com/2012/0...ight-foot.html

One of the things mentioned in this blog is the idea of kicking in the right/rear knee slightly at address to help one stay on the inside of the right/rear foot in the backswing and help prevent a sway. And the blog says that some pros do this slight kick in of the right/rear knee. If you know of any, perhaps someone can post some good examples of pros who do the right/rear knee kick in.

Here's a short video where Tom Watson talks about the knees, and he mentions bracing the right/rear knee in towards the ball so the knee doesn't slide to the outside of the rear foot (no sway) . . .

Does anyone do this little right/rear knee kick in (sort of like a kickstand) at address?

Hi Cally,

What I have learned just recently is that some golfers do pivot around their rear post or right leg during the Backswing. Then there are other golfers that pivot in between their right and left legs. And finally there are other golfers that pivot around their front post or leg. Once you know which pivot post is better for you, you will feel the pivot and not sway.

Just my opinion.

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

• Ken Robie
      Ken Robie commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep there is no cookie cutter mold for golfers out there. It is all dependent on physical make up and mental understanding of your own swing capability.

I believe it was Hogan that said that. Might also be in Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book." Great advice. If you're getting weight to the outsides of your feet you're swaying or sliding.

Comment

Sway is the result of incorrect intent. What Cally describes is true but its difficult and sometimes counter productive to try and prevent a sway by telling yourself not to sway. The real question is why you sway and this is from a chronic swayer of about 15 years hahahaha

Comment

• chardrice
        chardrice commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct. Telling yourself NOT to do something is counter-productive in that it leaves a picture of that action in your head. Your brain reacts to that picture and produces that motion. Tell yourself what TO do not what NOT to do.

The axe drill would be a good one for you. I can all but guarantee you wouldn't sway if you were chopping down a tree with an axe. I'm sure some of the other guys could link you to some videos with drills such as "pin the ball against the doorframe" or "hammer through." Also do some feet together and 1 leg drills. I find the 1 leg drill VERY effective for getting my students to understand the feeling of maintaining some tilt while staying centered.

What Tom Watson is saying is spot on. The faults he describes perfectly. The fix though is a band aid.

Comment

• Cally
        Cally commented
        Editing a comment
        FWIW, since starting this thread a few days ago I got out my Tom Watson "Lessons of a Lifetime" DVD series, and in the section on 'The Setup' he talks about and shows how at address he points the right (rear) knee in slightly. The key word here is slightly.

Also, I looked in my copy of Ben Hogan's Five Lessons The Modern Fundamentals of Golf and diagrams (e.g., diagram on page 59 of my copy) show both knees pointed in slightly at address. And (on page 56 of my copy) it says, "The right knee should be broken a shade more in to the left, if anything, than the left knee is to the right. If the right knee is pointed in, then it's 'in business' all the time. It helps brace the right leg on the backswing, and the right leg must be sturdily braced to prevent the golfer from swaying his body laterally to the right as he swings the club back."

So whether or not this slight right/rear knee kick in setup is the best way for all golfers to avoid a sway in the backswing, this slight right knee in approach seemed to work very well for, at least, these two guys. At any rate, I think most will agree that a sway is detrimental to the golf swing; and whatever way one best achieves it, maintaining leverage on the inside of the right/rear foot is imperative.

• hartman29
        hartman29 commented
        Editing a comment
        If it's good enough for the two of them, it's good enough for me.
    Working...
    X