Feet Together Drill in Playing Context v. isolation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feet Together Drill in Playing Context v. isolation

I stumbled on this study while researching learning theory. It discusses doing the feet together drill, one group doing the drill in isolation, one group doing it with a full preshot routine and hitting to a target (i.e. in a playing context.)

The up shot: when doing the drill, the golfers who did the drill in a playing context had better transference of those skills to the course than the group that just did the drill.

Having a routine and hitting to a target even when doing drills helps performance on the course.

https://www.golfscrimmages.com/maste...ce%20Study.pdf

Last edited by alfriday; 05-07-2018, 02:02 PM.

Thought I'd mention that I played yesterday and hit every shot (except putting) with feet together. Scored an 88 which imho was quite good and hit virtually every fairway with the driver (topped one left a bit on the 17th- back really stiff by then). Every iron really good except for 1 x 5-iron that got pushed right a bit because I lost balance.

My 2 playing partners couldn't believe it because I looked funny bobbing up and down but I think they were a bit dumbfounded at how well I was striking the ball . Just to add, the previous day on the range, some good intentional people were giving me 'advice' about my 'centrifugal pump' so I tried explaining but they 'blanked out ' (instead , I referred them to Shawn's videos on the internet).

I kept a careful note this time on what shots lost me strokes and it was quite alarming (but deep down quite obvious to me) that nearly 13 'short chips & pitches/bunker/putting' strokes were incredibly poor . 6 strokes lost to short chip/pitches , 6 putting , 1 bunker , all distance control issues and poor perception/judgement of club momentum required and ball reaction.

Now if only I could improve my short game without practice

One important thing I learned was why I was getting a stiff back and some strain doing feet together at the range and on the course. It's wrong to do feet together if it causes your knees to point inward and internally rotates your femurs in the hip sockets . It limits your hip turn in each direction and can cause strain between lumbar and hip socket area. I found that I needed to flare my feet a bit to ensure my knees were in a more neutral position at address (so heels together for me and a bit of foot flare).

Quite a lot of fun playing feet together so worth a go (maybe on reflection, I should have putted with feet together too ).

Last edited by Schrodinger; 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I did the same thing during a round last year. I stunk up the front nine. When I had to scramble to make bogey on 10, I was frustrated as could be. On 11 tee, I started to hit all remaining shots with feet together. After a couple of holes, my partners told me I should play that way all the time.

I now incorporate the feet together drill into my round. I will do the drill from behind the ball whenever I start to feel feel out of sync or when I'm getting tired. The drill keeps me loose and centered. It's like a couple of practice swings, but with my feet together.

Comment

Working...
      X